The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups and Balls Move (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2701 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Hi,
Just wondering what people's opinions are on the cup through cup move most use
as an opening for the cups. It's cute, I don't use it, as I figure it isn't the
best thing for the cups.
Thanks.
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Darlington UK
943 Posts

Profile of Riley
I use it every time. It doesn't seem to hurt the cups and it gets a good response!
HGM
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of HGM
I don't use it but I think it looks cool and don't think it damages the cups so I am considering using it in my routine.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24264 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
It depends on the set of cups I am using. I won't do it with the engraved Sherwood cups. But I will with most of my other sets.

It's not terribly effective with a set of multi-colored cups, though. Smile
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13401 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I use that and the wand-thru-cup move at the start of my routine
or more accurately.......

"Cellini's routine with one cool addition (borrowed from Carl Andrews)
that doesn't necessarily improve the routine but changes it just enough so that I get to call it 'My Routine' on the magic forums."

It'll be on my upcoming DVD. Yeah, right!
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
I like the move but I can't use it in my routine since I cannot flash the inside of the cups. This is the only downside to David Regals "Cups & Balls and Cups & Balls"
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
BerkleyJL
View Profile
Veteran user
Chicago, IL
397 Posts

Profile of BerkleyJL
I like the move, but I start my routine 4-ahead and produce the balls--so I can't play with the cups like that in the beginning. I might think about throwing in some of those moves as an interlude...between sequences might be a good spot.
I need a stage name.

Joe Berkley
Von
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of Von
I also like the move but would not draw too much attention to it, but rather just to throw in there when they don't expect somthing like that. I use Phoenix cups, not very fancy but I could prop up my SUV with them while changing a tire and it wouldn't phase them. Another move that can be rough on certain cups is the can can flip or other cup tossing moves.
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
Bill,

You would be surprised how effective the cup through cup move can be with the multi-colored plastic cups. I showed it to one of my first mentors in magic and all we had were the red/blue/yellow set and the illusion was so good, that he believed it for a full ten seconds before he could get his mind around the fact that is was a different colored cup. I did it into his cupped hands and he was looking down at the cups when it happened, so the physical sensation of the cup landing as well as the sound made him disagree with what his eyes showed him. After going through that mental expereince he burst out laughing and said, "Do it again!"

Properly done, the effect is a mini miracle that sets the stage. You can also do it with balls preloaded if you are careful. You may have to delay or work out other methods to get "4" ahead, but it would be worth it.

Kirk G
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13401 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Actually, the Carl Andrews routine does use the cup-thru-cup with a loaded ball.
It's great with a ball. Try it.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
BerkleyJL
View Profile
Veteran user
Chicago, IL
397 Posts

Profile of BerkleyJL
Quote:
On 2004-12-23 14:11, Frank Starsini wrote:
Actually, the Carl Andrews routine does use the cup-thru-cup with a loaded ball.
It's great with a ball. Try it.

I'll give it a shot. Up to now I've been holding out two while setting out the cups. I guess I can find a motivation to go to the pocket before I really "start." Perhaps wait until the last minute to retrieve my wand or something?
I need a stage name.

Joe Berkley
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
Just tuck them under your coat, belt, or top of pocket. You can get them with just a little adjustment of your costume.

kirk G
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Be careful about adding the extra work of secretly introducing the balls just to work in a non-essential move. When in doubt... or... the old adage... If you can't change the move, change the moment.

The cup through cup move doesn't HAVE to be done at the beginning of the routine. Likely, there is a point further in that affords two empty cups.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
I do the cup through cup movement about two minutes into my routine. I don't advertise it, "Hey, watch this!" I just do it. My cups are loaded when I do it and the movement brings the middle cup to the bottom (my goal).

Normally it's a wasted move, people don't notice it because I'm rapidly making a ball penetrate the cups. Only once has a spectator mentioned it. So I smiled and said, "Like that, did'ja?" and just continued on.

Otherwise it's just a move for me to get the cups in the proper order.
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
561 Posts

Profile of fccfp
I tried the cup through cup move with my new Morrisy copper cups a long time age. I did where the cup drops to the table. I must have been holding my hands up too high or something. The cup bounced off the table and hit the floor. I now have a readily identifiable cup. It's the one with the dent!

I don't have the cups in my current rotation. I do a routine called "Hershey Kiss" that uses a lot of the same moves. It looks more like a chop cup routine since there is only one can.

By the way, any one know if a good mettle worker could hammer (tap) it out?
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Rikbrooks,

Good call using the move with an ulterior motive! Clever, indeed!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Darlington UK
943 Posts

Profile of Riley
The Johnny Paul routine is a good example of using this move to give the impression of empty cups - and cover for loading!
BlackShadow
View Profile
Special user
London UK
666 Posts

Profile of BlackShadow
It's hardly a mouth dropper but provides a welcome change to the appearances and penetrations of the balls. I don't think it will damage the cups either. I've a chrome set, still pristine, which I've used for many years with this move. Just hold the bottom cup lightly.
WalterZ
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of WalterZ
Where can I see just the presentation of the johny paul cups and balls? You guys mentioned Stevensmagic but I couldn't find anything. Could you possibly provide the direct link please?

Thanks a mil,

WalterZ
~WalterZ~

Themystifier.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Go to http://www.stevensmagic.com and search the greater magic video of johnny paul and/or the cups and balls teach in video.

Trust me, learn it and you will have a great routine that few are doing.

Here's the link http://www.stevensmagic.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=5648
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups and Balls Move (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL