The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Luke jeremy » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Scott Grimm
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
141 Posts

Profile of Scott Grimm
Go to mylovelyassistant.com and rear David Parr's review of Building Blocks.
Faith is at the heart of all magic.
Scott Wells
View Profile
Special user
Houston, TX
993 Posts

Profile of Scott Wells
Don McCleod (and others who might be interested),

I have not asked my friend's permission to use his name yet, but here is the text of his review of Luke Jermay's lecture in Chicago that my friend e-mailed me:
-------
I went to a lecture by Luke Jermay the other night. He's from England and is making a tour of the U.S. Are you familiar with him? His promo reads good and has comments like, "...he has been highly praised by such professionals as ... Banachek and ...."

He had some interesting effects but personally I wasn't too impressed. I must be getting jaded. I didn't think the effects were that mind boggling. From some of the questions which he solicited, I think others felt the same. Christopher Carter was there and asked a couple of pertinent questions. I talked with Christopher after the lecture and meant to pin him down by asking if he thought any of the material presented would find its way into his show. I doubt it.

He spent an inordinate amount of time stopping people's pulses. He maintains that this gets him much press in the U.K. I guess it didn't work with me because at that point I stopped believing in anything that he did.

He had a book for $35. I didn't see many people flocking to buy.
----------
This is one man's thoughts and I thought I would share them with anyone interested in an alternate review of the raves you've read. I'm sure Luke is great and I have seen his DVD but not personally seen his show nor personally met him. I do give a lot of credence to Banachek's endorsements so I must think Mr. Jermay is talented. Perhaps he just might happen to be one of those who is a better performer than a lecturer.

yours,
Scott
"A magician who isn't working is only fooling himself." - Scott Wells, M.I.M.C. with Gold Star

The Magic Word podcast: http://themagicwordpodcast.com Listen to convention coverage, interviews with magicians, pictures, videos and more.

Magic Inspirations website for all things Banachek: www.magicinspirations.net
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2049 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
I was at Luke's Chicago lecture as well. The above critique of his "Touching On Hoy" effect is quite a remarkable piece of writing; it manages to get the description of the effect completely bass-ackward wrong, yet still goes on to expose the method. Scott, I realize that you're quoting a friend, but I still think that what it reveals is inappropriate for a public forum. Perhaps some editing is in order.

While I thoroughly enjoyed the lecture, I had the very strong impression that there were some in the audience who, based on the questions they asked, simply didn't "get it." One question in particular had me and several others struggling not to giggle and/or smack our foreheads in disbelief. Quoting it exactly would require too much setup and reveal too much, but here's a very close analogy: Imagine someone watching an explanation of a routine based on a billet peek, and then asking, "But why did you look at the word they wrote?" <Sigh> Why, no reason at all, sir. Here, I've got a nice new set of sponge bunnies for you...
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
sludge
View Profile
Special user
milton keynes, england
529 Posts

Profile of sludge
Quinn, thanks for the titter Smile

Simply put, there are people who just don't "get" Luke's work. They're usually not the sharpest tools in the toolbox, and usually are very magic club kind of people. Mentalists seem to appreciate his work much more. (mentalism is a very different artform to magic).

ade
harishjose
View Profile
Special user
932 Posts

Profile of harishjose
Quote:
On 2005-03-03 18:52, sludge wrote:
Simply put, there are people who just don't "get" Luke's work. They're usually not the sharpest tools in the toolbox, and usually are very magic club kind of people.

Wow. I find that remark very rude. How can you judge people like that. It doesn't mean that if people don't like Jermay's work, they are not sharp. You have some attitude problems.
Its true that its not for everybody. Maybe not for magicians too. But you don't have to pass rude remarks like that.
To believe is Magic.
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2588 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
I have performed lots of Luke's stuff

If you beleive it, it works, and you must try it on laypeople to find the way it works FOR YOU. It takes judgement.

If you've ever done anything like hypnosis then the 'beleiving' is extremely easy. If , however, you're not used to things like that actually working (more often than not for actually never having tried) then I am sure it takes a leap of faith. You need to be entirely convincing. Luke's problem with doing lectures is that he's not actually in the setting that this stuff works best.

And I'll be honest, from the tone of the email, it sounds condescending. Who is this young guy, and who does he think he is? etc . Pah!

I've done the pulse stopping thing in so many different places and the reaction has always been extremely strong. I also think that touching on hoy is a great effect in the right place.

However, I and many others continue to perform this and other such material with great success, and we're probably quite happy that so many people just don't 'get it'. When this stuff comes off, it's extremely powerful and entirely memorable. And when it doesn't quite work, yes it's useful to have some outs. But then, as a mentalist, it's ALWAYS useful to have outs for many things. That's the nature of doing what we do. You try for the impossible and sometimes have to resort to the unbeleivable, but the audience only ever remembers the impossible afterwards.

I'm with sludge. Sounds like the email was written by a magician and not a mentalist.

Bev
sludge
View Profile
Special user
milton keynes, england
529 Posts

Profile of sludge
Quote:
On 2005-03-03 19:47, harishjose wrote:
Wow. I find that remark very rude. How can you judge people like that. It doesn't mean that if people don't like Jermay's work, they are not sharp. You have some attitude problems.
Its true that its not for everybody. Maybe not for magicians too. But you don't have to pass rude remarks like that.


harishjose,
I did not say that if people don't like his work they are not sharp.
I don't have any attitude problems.
What I stated wasn't rude, it was fact. There are people who don't "get" (understand) Lukes work because they're not too sharp.
There are also people who do "get" (understand) his work but don't feel it's for them; that's fine, but I wasn't referring to those.

Before you make judgements about my mental health (attitude problems) perhaps you should read and try to understand what I write - I am not responsible for your incorrect assumptions. Lastly, unlike yourself I haven't singled anyone out for verbal abuse.

ade
Scott Wells
View Profile
Special user
Houston, TX
993 Posts

Profile of Scott Wells
Bev,

Indeed the review was from a magician's perspective, not a mentalist's. He is new to mentalism so take that for what it's worth. As I mentioned, this was one person's review and I was merely cutting and pasting. No judgement on my part; however, we should respect the opinions of others regardless of how divergent from the path they may be. As the former convention editor for MAGIC Magazine, I learned long ago to be true to myself and to the readers and to suffer the slings and arrows that come with the job. I have scars to prove it, too.

yours,
Scott
"A magician who isn't working is only fooling himself." - Scott Wells, M.I.M.C. with Gold Star

The Magic Word podcast: http://themagicwordpodcast.com Listen to convention coverage, interviews with magicians, pictures, videos and more.

Magic Inspirations website for all things Banachek: www.magicinspirations.net
harishjose
View Profile
Special user
932 Posts

Profile of harishjose
Ade,
"What I stated wasn't rude, it was fact. There are people who don't "get" (understand) Lukes work because they're not too sharp."

What should a logical or rational person understand from this? More than anything, the way to perform Luke's effects or any similar effect is to believe in yourself that you can pull it off. If you have the confidence you can certainly pull it off. Its true that maybe only 20% of the readers will actually have the guts to try it out.
Now coming back to your point. I am not all set to verbally accuse any one. But your remark was beyond my understanding and I found it rude to assume that PEOPLE WHO don't UNDERSTAND LUKE'S EFFECTS ARE NOT SHARP. I don't want any body else's opinions on this. Its my opinion and I stick to it. And remember all mentalists were once magicians. And above all magicians and mentalists are humans.
I don't think we can resolve this. So it would be better if we just forget about the whole thing and get back to the original post.
To believe is Magic.
tmoca
View Profile
Inner circle
1113 Posts

Profile of tmoca
Quote:
On 2005-03-03 18:52, sludge wrote:
Simply put, there are people who just don't "get" Luke's work. They're usually not the sharpest tools in the toolbox, and usually are very magic club kind of people. Mentalists seem to appreciate his work much more. (mentalism is a very different artform to magic).


Quote:
There are also people who do "get" (understand) his work but don't feel it's for them; that's fine, but I wasn't referring to those.


It's rude and ridiculous statements like this that remind me why I sometime HATE message boards like this. Someone can't state there freakin' OPINION without someone flapping off at the mouth and making personal attacks.

For all you know the guy who stated his OPINION about Luke could be a flat out genius..a virtual "razor blade"....Magician, mentalist or whatever he may be.

Sludge, you obviously took offense when someone made "judgments about your mental health", so why is it okay for you to do it?

Unfortunately this is the type of post that will make many newbies hesitate on posting there opinions. That's very sad.

Personally, in MY OPINION...lol....I use and love Luke's material. And I don't think it's a matter of "getting it", whatever that means. Either you like what you see or you don't.
sludge
View Profile
Special user
milton keynes, england
529 Posts

Profile of sludge
Quote:
On 2005-03-04 11:22, harishjose wrote:
But your remark was beyond my understanding and I found it rude to assume that PEOPLE WHO don't UNDERSTAND LUKE'S EFFECTS ARE NOT SHARP.


Harishjose, I'll say it again, the fault lies with your assumptions, not what I said. I did not say what you are saying that I said. Also it is not true to say that all mentalists were once magicians.

Quote:
Someone can't state there freakin' OPINION without someone flapping off at the mouth and making personal attacks.

I hope that wasn't directed at me like it appears to be. I have made no personal attacks on anyone.

Quote:
For all you know the guy who stated his OPINION about Luke could be a flat out genius..a virtual "razor blade"....Magician, mentalist or whatever he may be.

I agree, but that would put him in the bracket of people I mentioned as follows:

Quote:
There are also people who do "get" (understand) his work but don't feel it's for them; that's fine


[quote]Sludge, you obviously took offense when someone made "judgments about your mental health", so why is it okay for you to do it? [quote]
I have not made judgements about anyones mental health, perhaps their IQ, but not health. I made no reference to any specific person, I was referring to people generally just like Quinn was. Only one person (not me) has thrown an insult at a specific named person on this thread.

Quote:
So it would be better if we just forget about the whole thing and get back to the original post.


Well we can agree on this at least,
pleasant thoughts to all,

ade
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Luke jeremy » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL