The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coins through Silk by Michael Ammar (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4997 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
I found this effect: 'Coins through Silk' on Michaels web:

http://store.yahoo.com/ammarmagic/cointhrougsi.html

Is it easy to learn? How strong is the routine?

Mats
http://www.kjellstrom.info
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Quote:
On 2004-12-23 10:49, Kjellstrom wrote:
I found this effect: 'Coins through Silk' on Michael's web:

http://store.yahoo.com/ammarmagic/cointhrougsi.html

Is it easy to learn? How strong is the routine?

Mats
http://www.kjellstrom.info

Yes, it isn't tough..wonder you haven't seen it before?

I mean it is in Michael videos from Hans Zahn/Videonics, now sold by L&L..
See also the following thread re this:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......6&24
If you want the exact Videonics release no. just let me know, I've it stored..

Here it is: Videonics release 63, International Magic session/Ammar/Ouellet contains the complete routine incl. explanations..just few simple sleights..
Joachim s. has done it finely way back in the 1980's, I've it on tape a couple of times.. Smile
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
In answer to your question Mats,

Yes, the effect of solid coins passing through sheer silk is strong.

It can register in about the same way as the old dental dam trick.

-Jon
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-12-23 11:03, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
It can register in about the same way as the old dental dam trick.
-Jon
Is that good or bad ? Smile
I mean, I too know the old dental dam trick Smile

ncsteve
View Profile
Veteran user
North Carolina
314 Posts

Profile of ncsteve
It's also explained on Ammar's video of his lecture at the Magic Castle. It's a nice effect not something you'd want to close a paid show with but I think impressive as the spectators can see through the silks(really not silks but cheaper see through nylon)& so they know there's no secret device.
Steve
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13414 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I use it constantly and really like it.
It is strong. I believe the fabric is chiffon.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
tommy ng
View Profile
Veteran user
USA,Oregon
385 Posts

Profile of tommy ng
Yes, is very strong effect, not hard to learn, but if you do like the Ammar that smooth, you need some time on this.
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-12-24 02:50, Frank Starsini wrote:
I use it constantly and really like it.
It is strong. I believe the fabric is chiffon.

Yes Frank, it is called chiffon..

I've still a couple lying around from the midt 1980's in lilla and yellow..

Accordingly to MA's site they are hard to get these days, but I simply can't imagine this is true..they hardly did cost more then 1.50 $ in the 1980s and I'm sure also today they are cheap to get..

Somehow the thingy at MAs site is highly overpriced, taken into consideration how often he himself has explained and demoed it on several of his videos..and the chiffon thingy is very cheap..
Maybe MA needs the money badly? Smile

Anyway no prob, he makes his living out of magic, so it is OK, I just have my own thoughts...
After all, the original handling is his, it is just the comparison with his earlier releases that makes me wonder re the rather high price..

warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3341 Posts

Profile of warren
Has anyone been questioned as to why they keep taking the coins out of the head scarf before each penetration as this seems a big weakness to me so I've never performed this routine for the public.
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
Warren, The version Ammar has taught on the last couple videos (E.T.M.C.M. and His lecture from the Castle), You don't remove the coins from the silk.

Mike
Aperazor
View Profile
Loyal user
Akron,Ohio
244 Posts

Profile of Aperazor
I found the ones I use at Walmarts in the womens section, usually hanging on an end rack or with the purses and gloves. They are perfect and have lots of bright solid colors and cost around $2-$3.
I had originally tried juggling scarves and they were to stiff.
Hope it helps someone.
Happy Holidays
Nick Zender
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3341 Posts

Profile of warren
Mike,
The video I have is Easy to Master Money Miracles vol 3,I should have said perhaps he opens the head scarf to show the coins rather than remove them but still why would you do this when you can already see the coins in the head scarf as it is see thru.
If he has changed the handling to this so you don't have to keep opening the head scarf I would like to know the full name of the video or DVD as I really like the effect apart from that one weak point.

Many thanks in advance,
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
He still opens and removes the left over coins to "show" them. It is a weak point and made more so by people who don't practice enough to make it smooth. If you fumble with the silk, there is too much time and that increases the weakness. In Michael's hands, it is a think of beauty with great economy of motion.

A better design to the routine would make it easeir for the rest, but those who put in the practice will have a good routine. You might want to perform it a little differently than Michael if you want to get a stronger reaction. He kind of throws it away in my opinion.

Kirk G

Kirk
ncsteve
View Profile
Veteran user
North Carolina
314 Posts

Profile of ncsteve
One of the videos (may be on DVD I'm not sure) is called "Live At The Magic Castle". It's more than 10 years old but there's great material on there. Also does a good job teaching the card on the ceiling.
NCSteve
Jim Tighe
View Profile
Veteran user
West Virginia
363 Posts

Profile of Jim Tighe
Manuel Merte has a similar routine which uses a women's stocking (like panty hose). It's on his Done by Misdirection DVD. It was also described in last month's MAGIC magazine.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13414 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-12-24 08:11, warren wrote:
Has anyone been questioned as to why they keep taking the coins out of the head scarf before each penetration as this seems a big weakness to me so I've never performed this routine for the public.

It is a theoretical weak point indeed. But since the silk is see-thru the very strong displays override that concern, in my opinion. There are ways around that issue, that I've read and considered. I'll play with them.

However, don't let that one point stop you from giving it a go.

Another strong point is that (during the extraction) the magi seems to not touch the coins. They slip thru un-aided. Other variations of the routine ignore this point. With the MA version, I believe the spectator remembers you jingling coins in a silk, and one slips out. Period.
Jonathan Rice
View Profile
Loyal user
Maryland
223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Rice
I saw Eric Henning of DC perform this routine before. Very amazing and the audience including myself were mystified.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
There is some presentation work required to motivate the proving and the fussing. Give it some thought and time in front of audiences and see what you come up with.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
magico
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
818 Posts

Profile of magico
There is another version which can be found in Volume One Issue Three of the Magic Arts Journal called Slicker Coins thru Silk by Dave Berry. Michael use part of his handling for second coin. You open the scarf to show the coins but you do not pick them up and do a click pass like the original routine. Dave Berry uses this for the penetration of the first coin. His handling of the second coin is great as well.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13414 Posts

Yes, Dave Berry's routine is also good. Correct.
I've been doing this for laymen constantly in the past several months.
They absolutely love it. Really! Honest.

Jon Town's point about the presentation to cover up the fussing is just too easy to solve. I use Peace Dollars for this effect and I always mention that they were made to commemorate the end of WWI. People look up, they're interested. They really like those coins.. especially if you lie and tell them they're worth $20 a piece.

So, open up the silk and let someone take a peek and hold them for a minute.
Then let them put them back on your hand. Then use a Dave Berry idea to keep from re-picking back up the coins.

I think the 2nd coin is the critical coin regarding the touching stuff but I swear, it's a little overboard to worry about the theory here. Good to think about but not to worry about. They're laymen.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coins through Silk by Michael Ammar (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL