The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coins through Silk by Michael Ammar (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Of course the routine is good and strong..
An easy way to make the removal of the coins logical, is simply to show the *silk* displayed by 2 opposite top corners-one in each hand-, letting it hang down, so the whole silk surface is front to the specs after removal of the coins with a remark, to look for the hole in the silk..there is none..
This takes the heat of the *theoretical* weak point..just show the silk is 'innocent'...
*Can you see the large hole in the center?... Surprise....there is none..*
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
For those interested in the visual appeal of this trick, check out one of Dean Dill's older video's. There is a trick with a plastic bag and coins and it looks really good (as well as another awesome idea with the same plastic bag and other common props.
Unfortunately I lend this video to someone and never got it back. That should learn me...

And to me the Chris Power routine rules, when going for the scarf.
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Chris Powers actually is in a class by himself..
I saw him doing that routine many years back in a competition and I well remember his outstandingly natural handling...
He might have changed his handling since a bit, but I well recall he almost fooled me by his very natural and relaxed handpositioins during other routines too..

He's a great performer and deep thinker..what a pitty not too much of his work is available on a visual media..any description re how he handles stuff isn't good enough, it has to be seen..

Cpontz
View Profile
Special user
Daupin PA
553 Posts

Profile of Cpontz
I saw Michael do the routine in one of his lectures. I got the lecture notes and it came with the "silks". In his hands it was beautiful. I haven't worked with it too much, so I won't comment on the different handlings.
YVRDave
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, BC
104 Posts

Profile of YVRDave
I do this trick regularly, exactly as per Michael's instructions - I was able to master all of the moves within one week. It always elicits a strong reaction from the audience - and maybe I've been lucky, but nobody has questioned me about the rationale for any of the moves.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2753 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Nate Kranzo also has this on a video, maybe DVD.
Adam Keisner
View Profile
Veteran user
London
335 Posts

Profile of Adam Keisner
I am with Dan Le Fay, Chris Powers routine is just as strong, how you doing Dan?
Hope youre having a good xmas.
A.Keisner
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
It all depends on your performance style, but I think stopping the routine to let the spectators re-examine the coins would slow it too way down for me.

I am interested in reading or seeing the Dave Berry routine. I don't think I have been exposed to it yet.

Kirk G
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13414 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
You're right Kirk. It would slow it down. You'd have to have some patter in there to keep the pace up and with that, it would still work just fine. I currently do not hand out the coins like that. I would share your concern.

But, the routine does generate a lot of interest and having a slower moment is not all bad. Peaks and valleys. As long as it's not a real LULL and you're talking about something interesting, I think you're ok. If you stand there with your hands on your hips while someone is staring at them and not saying anything.... BAD MAGICIAN!.

After one coin goes thru, I hold up the silk, higher, and give it a jingle so the audience can see that they don't come thru easily. Then I put the silk into the other hand and give it another jingle to the spectators on the other side. I do this for selfish reasons (I'm better at doing the necessary slight with the other hand) but it looks like I'm just being considerate to the other speckys.

I wonder if you could do a click-pass into someone's hand. If they keep their hand flat, it might work. Hmmm...
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
A click pass to a spectators hand CAN work. Kirk
Jeff McLeod
View Profile
New user
Whistler BC
3 Posts

Profile of Jeff McLeod
You know those "3 Scarf Juggling" books/props you can buy? I'm pretty sure it's the same fabric as used in the MA routine. Just a thought.
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-12-28 09:52, Jeff McLeod wrote:
You know those "3 Scarf Juggling" books/props you can buy? I'm pretty sure it's the same fabric as used in the MA routine. Just a thought.
Yes, might be..I just somehow find it difficult to do a clickpass using 2 of those scarfs Smile

Pants99
View Profile
Loyal user
El Paso, TX
230 Posts

Profile of Pants99
This is one of the coolest routines on Mikes video series!!! The hardest part of the routine is finding the same kind of silk!!!
Buckle up... it makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1060 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
This thread piqued my interest and I'm enjoying working on this routine. I remember seeing Michael Ammar perform Coins through silk at the Magic Castle back in the 80's. In his hands it's real magic. Since I have Michael's DVD, I thought I'd work on it.

Our local Walmart no longer has the scarves. However, I found the material at Joann's fabric store, the're nationwide. I also bought the scarves online from Ammar's website. I think $6 is very reasonable, considering it also comes with a manuscript.

I also lucked out becuase I have Ammar's book, "Encore 3." Coin through Silk is on page 78! Has a few pointers missing on the video. Some of the methods vary from the DVD and it's really great to study.
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
wand
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of wand
Quote:
On 2004-12-23 10:49, Kjellstrom wrote:
I found this effect: 'Coins through Silk' on Michaels web:

http://store.yahoo.com/ammarmagic/cointhrougsi.html

Is it easy to learn? How strong is the routine?

Mats
http://www.kjellstrom.info

There is also a version of the same trick on David Roth's coin and silks video. I actually prefer this handling. The results are pretty much the same.
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2766 Posts

Profile of Jordini
Quote:
On 2004-12-24 04:02, Werner G. Seitz wrote:

Somehow the thingy at MAs site is highly overpriced, taken into consideration how often he himself has explained and demoed it on several of his videos..and the chiffon thingy is very cheap..
Maybe MA needs the money badly? Smile

Actually, I purchased this from him, and it comes with the instructions for the routine, which means you get a great routine and the silk needed for $6. I can't think of a single routine of this caliber that costs only $6

Quote:
On 2004-12-25 01:06, Frank Starsini wrote:
They really like those coins.. especially if you lie and tell them they're worth $20 a piece.

You don't really have to lie. I've seen them for $20 a piece.
toonomads
View Profile
Regular user
Albuquerque, NM, USA
172 Posts

Profile of toonomads
I attended a Chris Power lecture at FISM 2000 and saw his version for the first time. It was beautiful and elegant. One of the most amazing magical experiences I've ever had.

I bought several natural organza scarves from him. I practiced and performed this routine for a while but the scarves are delicate and very hard to come by. If I could find a dependable source, I would be more inclined to do do it regularly.
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-07-03 01:49, Jordini wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-12-24 04:02, Werner G. Seitz wrote:

Somehow the thingy at MAs site is highly overpriced, taken into consideration how often he himself has explained and demoed it on several of his videos..and the chiffon thingy is very cheap..
Maybe MA needs the money badly? Smile

Actually, I purchased this from him, and it comes with the instructions for the routine, which means you get a great routine and the silk needed for $6. I can't think of a single routine of this calibur that costs only $6
A BIG sorry to MA..
I did misread his add somehow!
I did read it for $60, no kidding... Smile

Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
It's an amazing effect, and beautifulyl performed by Michael. I'v seen him do it live.
The routine is also described in Encore 3, which in itself is a fantastic book, and a must have if you still can get a hold of a copy.
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
Dan McLean
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you
1259 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean
Russ Burns has a version in Apocalypse (April 1981) called Liquid Silver. Worth checking out. Uses a regular silk.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coins through Silk by Michael Ammar (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL