The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coins through Silk by Michael Ammar (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Euangelion
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of Euangelion
Last summer our local Walmart had dozens of them for about $2 each. I picked up several since it is one of my favorite tricks. And it is perfect for table hopping or strolling and with the right presentation parlor and larger.
Bill Esborn

"Lutefisk: the piece of cod that passes all understanding."
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
Go to a Salvation army or Goodwill store...the generally have boxes filled with scarves of different types. I usually will find a few in there...take them home...wash them up...good to go!

Mike
e-man
View Profile
Special user
HILTON HEAD,SC
880 Posts

Profile of e-man
Michael Ammar was going to perform this effect for the Pope John Paul. Just to give you some thoughts on how strong Michael thinks it is.
我被烹调
ERIC HELVENSTON
JTW
View Profile
Special user
Florida
670 Posts

Profile of JTW
Chris Powers routine does rock. I saw it on video and hunted down chris to get the routine. Plays big and plays well.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2005-07-03 11:29, mike gallo wrote:
Go to a Salvation army or Goodwill store...the generally have boxes filled with scarves of different types. I usually will find a few in there...take them home...wash them up...good to go!

Mike

It is important that the silk be extremely see-thru. If you're not sure what you're looking for, I suggest just getting the silk from Ammar's website. they're cheap.
Then after you've seen the real thing, take Mike's advice.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1062 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I found a nylon fabric that was very suitable for this application from Joanne's fabrics. They have stores nationwied. Very cheap. I bought a couple of yards for a few bucks.

I also bought several of the scarves from Michaels website. I like his better, its a softer fabric... I don't sew, and I wanted hems to make it look a little classier...

It's a great routine. I've had lots of fun with it. BTW, the instructions that come with the silk are very mediocre (take it from Mediocre the Great) Best use his DVD and / or EncoreIII. Encore III is not identical handling as the video... so I recommentd you study both.
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
Quote:
On 2005-07-03 22:14, e-man wrote:
Michael Ammar was going to perform this effect for the Pope John Paul. Just to give you some thoughts on how strong Michael thinks it is.

How do you know? It's not easy getting an audience with any Pope, let alone perform magic.
~Joe
sbroomheadsr
View Profile
New user
Retired, so I only have
59 Posts

Profile of sbroomheadsr
I was able to attend a lecture by Michael here in Nashville this spring. His moves are very smooth.

My question is what color of scarf? I have used a bright red and a black one. I prefer the black.

Your thoughts... preferences?
S Broomhead
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I've tried various colors and have always returned to white. Since it's intended to be see-through, there are times in the routine where one coin is covered with one layer of fabric, while the other is covered with two. In my experience, there is a noticeable darkening of the coin if you use darker colors.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On 2005-07-06 02:27, Joe Mauro wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-07-03 22:14, e-man wrote:

How do you know? It's not easy getting an audience with any Pope, let alone perform magic.

I don't remember the whole story but Michael was getting close to being able to have an actual visit vith Pope John Paul II. The cooins thur silk was one of the effects he knew he wanted to to perform for him if it was to happen. Michael still tells the sotry at his lectures once in awhile I believe.
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
I thought that magic was evil in the eyes of religion....
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I use red and I have white as a backup.
I would choose a color that can be seen from a distance to attract attention.
for those watching the effect, I don't think the color matters.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Scott Compton
View Profile
Special user
Hampton, VA
747 Posts

Profile of Scott Compton
I actually like any color other than white. The one I got from Michael was purple. I didn't like it so it hit the Wal-mart and picked up a white one and a black one. The problem with the white scarves is the lack of contrast of the silver coins. They seem to just blend in with the color.

Scott Compton
Magic is an art. I am merely a tour guide.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scott-Compton-Magician/160270640674735

"You are the magic" Jay Ose to Albert Goshman
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On 2005-07-08 13:46, Jordini wrote:

If that were entirely true there would not have been magicians such as Bro.John Hamman, Father Cypyrian, and others.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Quote:

Hi Jordini:

I'm curious where you heard that.

Ron
vinkelhaken
View Profile
Regular user
Sweden
179 Posts

Profile of vinkelhaken
Quote:
On 2005-07-03 09:18, Peo Olsson wrote:
It's an amazing effect, and beautifulyl performed by Michael. I'v seen him do it live.
The routine is also described in Encore 3, which in itself is a fantastic book, and a must have if you still can get a hold of a copy.

You can download it as an e-book at MA's site.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2004-12-28 22:09, Pants99 wrote:
This is one of the coolest routines on Mikes video series!!! The hardest part of the routine is finding the same kind of silk!!!

The day I asked my Wife to get me one she brought it home. I believe she got it at either Wal-Mart or Target.

John
Howard Coberly
View Profile
Loyal user
Irvine, California
239 Posts

Profile of Howard Coberly
Quote:
On 2005-07-09 18:17, Ron Reid wrote:
Quote:

Hi Jordini:

I'm curious where you heard that.

FYI....I was all set up to do a formal closeup show for a friend and at the last minute he cancelled me because several big-wigs from our place of work were going to be in attendance and they were all 7th Day Adventists. One of them told him that they are not allowed to be in the same room with anyone "practicing" magic of any kind, even though it is only sleight of hand magic.

Thught you might it interesting

Howard
"Our town used to be more fortunate...not a single winter passed without the visit of some star.
There used to be famous actors and singers, while today, God only knows! Nobody visits except magicians and organ-grinders. No esthetic satisfaction."
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Quote:

Most cultures of the world have religious beliefs that supernatural powers can be compelled, or at least influenced, to act in certain ways for good or evil purposes by using ritual.
Magic in the context of religion is often conflated with magic in the context of the paranormal. Some people also use the term magick, with a spelling that is distinct and different from magic, to distinguish various concepts of magic from the one proposed by Aleister Crowley.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coins through Silk by Michael Ammar (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL