The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » For the record » » ITR (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Also 20 or 30 years back, Gaetan Bloom came with a VHS for using IT in ways that no one has ever taken up: totally brilliant and perfectly unknown. Only his superb balanced card routine got known but there are more gems still to be discovered.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24204 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Gaetan is one of those fellows who is always creating something. He has had an incredible number of items that were basically forgotten, but should be known/owned by almost all of us.

I translated the instructions for a couple of his items that were sold through Harold Voit's shop into English. (I have basically no French at all, but these were in German.) I didn't meet him for the first time until a couple of years ago when he was performing at TWGMS in Las Vegas. He was very friendly. I find him to be a real gentleman.

Posted: Sep 30, 2011 2:09pm
I think I should add the following to this thread about invisible thread reels.

There is no evidence whatsoever that James George was influenced in any way by William Ewington's reel. The basic operating principle was similar, i.e. a spool that was powered by elastic. However, the Ewington reels were somewhat primitive. They used a weak rubber band as the device to store the torque that was placed on the spool. The spool was made from buttons and matchsticks.

Several years ago, after watching some of the video put out by James concerning the use of invisible thread, I called him and told him about the Ewington reel. At the time, he seemed perfectly clear that I did not think that his reel was a derivation of the Ewington reel at all. Whether the Ewington reels were ever sold commercially is unknown to me. Ewington was a retired military man and a magic dealer from Toronto. He evidently experimented with different sizes of spool and different weights of thread.

He mentioned in the article describing the construction of the reels that they could be contained inside a matchbox. He also mentioned working with different weights of thread. There seems to be a belief that there was only one strand size of nylon available at that time. This is definitely not the case. Even in the late 1960's - early 1970's, it was fairly easy to find as many as 5 or 6 different diameters of strand in various types of hosiery. Also, different types of rubber banding/elastic could be used to make these reels.

But they did require a lot of hand work, and they were not easy to adjust. The configuration is so radically different from the Sorcery Shop product that it is fairly obvious that James came up with his invention entirely without any influence from William Ewington.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » For the record » » ITR (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.32 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL