The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Infuriating Problems With the Mind's Eye Deck (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
hoodrat
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
383 Posts

Profile of hoodrat
I have owned the Mind Eye's Deck as featured in Max Maven's VidoeMind DVD for some time now. Does anybody else have the recurring problem of the cards not cutting correctly? 40% of the time when I'm practicing this effect and I go to cut the cards (like the spectator is supposed to do), they cut incorrectly.

Also, sometimes when I riffle shuffle the deck, the riffle shuffle will "disturb" the deck (those of you who have the deck will know what I'm talking about). Does anybody else have this problem, too?

I have examined the cards in my deck. While all of the s*****r cards aren't quite the same, they seem to be adequate. Or do I need to do s*****n them more? What's the most effective way to do this if this is the remedy to the two situations I mentioned above?

Thanks for your comments and suggestions!
Crippen
View Profile
New user
Washington, D.C.
79 Posts

Profile of Crippen
Hoodrat,

I use a deck I made myself. I did have to go back and s*****n some of the cards. I use a P**** C***** to handle that cleanly. I just handled the deck a lot, found which cards didn't behave well and adjusted them accordingly. Since I made my own deck, it was also easier for me to throw out cards if I messed them up with my adjustments.

I have found that the shuffle needs to be a pretty lightly handled one. Just letting the cards fall.

I should note that I am using business cards, not playing card stock, so the shuffle is performed as a kind of "hey, I wonder if you could shuffle these like cards move?" That makes the fact that it does not look as "heavy" as a regular riffle shuffle explainable. See what I mean?

Hope this helps,

Crippen
Mark Timon
View Profile
Elite user
428 Posts

Profile of Mark Timon
I used to have the same problem till I cleaned all the cards with soap and water.
Maybe the deck was stocked for a long period!

Regards
Mysterion The Mind reader
View Profile
New user
Toronto
47 Posts

Profile of Mysterion The Mind reader
I had made my own deck PRIOR to purchacing the marketed one and found mine worked a lot better.

This is what I've done as an out, and have never been caught. I open the plastic case and lift off the top card in front of the spectator and state "I was hoping you didn't place your card on top of the deck, but for some un explained reason I felt you did, just checking. It is hidden on your person?" The spectator then of course says "yes". I say "Hmmm?" and then into any another routine with a second spectator, and keep the first spectator hanging. In "receiving" the answers for the second routine, I sketch out the first spectators card on a sheet of paper and fold it up handing to them (second spectator) and then write out the answer to the second spectaors choice and hand it to the first. I then have them both reveal the answers to each other. They NEVER remember I ever touched the deck at that point.
Dr. Zordas
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of Dr. Zordas
I sometimes have the same problem, as stated above in the opening post. It may be better to construct your own deck on blank stock. I think the plastic coating does interfere with it's intended operation, as does the way deck has been 'cut'.

Only trouble is, if you decide to follow the above, then all you have is a very expensive secret... Smile

Dr. Zordas
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
2926 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Quote:
On 2004-12-25 17:43, Crippen wrote:
Hoodrat,

I use a deck I made myself. I did have to go back and s*****n some of the cards. I use a P**** C***** to handle that cleanly.

What's a P**** C*****?? My scissor skills aren't where they need to be to make a deck like this. Unfortunately, the pre-made versions are a little on the pricey side. Is there someplace I can get a blank Sv*****i Deck?

Ohh. Now I got it. I'm still wondering if I can purchase a blank (both sides are preferable) Sv****** deck.

Elliott
matthu
View Profile
Regular user
UK
170 Posts

Profile of matthu
Try sending your query to
cardsbymartin2@juno.com

I have a feeling he may be able to meet your requirements.
Let us know when you have an answer.

Regards
Matthew
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
2926 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Thanks Matthew! I just sent him an email. I also checked out the site. What a great resource!

Elliott
aawb122pm
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of aawb122pm
I found that using spray polish helped the cards to slip away more easily
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
2926 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
I Just placed an order for the double blank sv****** deck. I’ll let you know how that goes.

Elliott
B&B Magic
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of B&B Magic
What's the price for the DB Sv. deck? I didn't see a webpage address, just email.
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
2926 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
http://www.cardsbymartin.com/

I was quoted $12.50 + S/H

Thanks,

Elliott
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1531 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
[quote]On 2005-02-19 21:57, ElliottB wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-12-25 17:43, Crippen wrote:
Hoodrat,

I use a deck I made myself. I did have to go back and s*****n some of the cards. I use a P**** C***** to handle that cleanly.

What's a P**** C*****?? My scissor skills aren't where they need to be to make a deck like this. Unfortunately, the pre-made versions are a little on the pricey side. Is there someplace I can get a blank Sv*****i Deck?

Guys, my wife use to sell Creative Memories (scrapbooking) stuff. I received from her, when she quit doing that, several items that have come in very handy:
1)a corner rounder

2)a miniature paper trimmer (similar to what most people have in their office, only about 8" x 6")

3)numerous pens and shaping scissors.

Now, the reason I mention that is this: most Michaels or Joanne's craft stores carry the same items, only at a better price. I also get my roughing fluid and other sundry items there as well.

Rick
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer
Host of the Haunted Magic show at House of Cards Nashville!
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
2926 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
I just got the cards in the mail and they are fantastic.

Unfortunately I made what has to be the world’s stupidest mistake when drawing the pictures (I won’t go into further details).

I’m going to order another deck now.

Elliott
hoodrat
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
383 Posts

Profile of hoodrat
Thanks, Elliott, for the update on the card decks. I may have to check out CardsByMartin, too, for one of those decks! Sounds like the way to go.
Comet
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of Comet
Hi J** C***t (Joe Comet) here,
thought I'd see if anyone had any L**K (luck)with any of the DB SV decks LOL No seriously. I have Bunch of normal SV decks and have used them in the past to make up different types of decks. All you'd need to do would be to print the pictures on a Sticker sheet and place it on the SV cards. You can then trim the sticker so it dosn't hang over the cards. I'm looking for the pictures of the items in the Minds Eye deck as well if anyone knows where I can get them online. Any line art type of clipart would do for me I'm sure just having problems finding any good ones.
Thanks...
Joe Comet
thanks
Joe Comet
Whacky Neighbor
View Profile
New user
Hollywood, CA
79 Posts

Profile of Whacky Neighbor
Hello!

In the new issue of Genii (April 2005), Hank Lee is advertising: Line-Lo Card Cutter for $104.95. While you may question the price, it is something that you'd get a ton of use out of. You could make your own S******i Decks or S******r Decks. Perfect for Minds Eye as well. I think Hank Lee's web address is http://www.magicfact.com. If all else fails, Google Line-Lo Card Cutter. Something is bound to pop up.

WN
drosenbe0813
View Profile
Elite user
Long Island, NY
405 Posts

Profile of drosenbe0813
I made up my own deck many years ago, and while I love the effect and , as usual from Max, the method is extremely clever, it just never worked consistently enough for me to use in my professional act. As a matter of fact, when I saw Max demo the effect on stage at a major convention, the spectator picked the 'wrong' card!
There are other design duplication (which is what it is) effects that are more impossible looking and less problematic.
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3697 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
I also stopped using the Mind's Eye deck for the same reasons stated in teh other posts. It was not reliable and extremely inconsistent. If you are going to attempt this, you should have a very good out just in case.

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5410 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
Quote:
On 2005-03-24 12:34, drosenbe0813 wrote:
As a matter of fact, when I saw Max demo the effect on stage at a major convention, the spectator picked the 'wrong' card!

I'm curious to know how Max Maven dealt with that, if he ever did. Or, if he had some way out! You see, I think those kind of posts are the ones I would like to see more on the Café - or any other forum, for that matter - because... let's face it... many of us, even the best professionals out there, have more stories like that one to tell you than what they would ever want to admit.
I, as other professionals, had my share of things going wrong thru the years too and I always remind myself of what my friend Ford Kross says: "If you have never had some wrong thing happening in one of your performances, then you have not performed long enough!"
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Infuriating Problems With the Mind's Eye Deck (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL