The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Infuriating Problems With the Mind's Eye Deck (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
enriqueenriquez
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1287 Posts

Profile of enriqueenriquez
Quote:
On 2005-03-24 15:02, Lord Of The Horses wrote:
I'm curious to know how Max Maven dealt with that, if he ever did. Or, if he had some way out! You see, I think those kind of posts are the ones I would like to see more on the Café - or any other forum, for that matter - because... let's face it... many of us, even the best professionals out there, have more stories like that one to tell you than what they would ever want to admit.
I, as other professionals, had my share of things going wrong thru the years too and I always remind myself of what my friend Ford Kross says: "If you have never had some wrong thing happening in one of your performances, then you have not performed long enough!"

Great Post Paolo. I also would love to hear more about that kind of experiences.
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2944 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
I used to use this regularly in walk around situations.

I hold the deck in my hand and have someone cut to a table or to my other open palm. While they're concentrating on the image I do my thing. If I notice something wrong, I take a guess, If I'm wrong I just do it again, and to them it seems even more believable.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6184 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I don't have the deck, but I do remember Max explaining it on the video. Could you not mark the cards in a subtle way to tell you if they cut to the right place then you know it's the other non-force picture? And, I'm assuming, could you not have them in a sequence that the peek still told you what picture they cut to?

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
enriqueenriquez
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1287 Posts

Profile of enriqueenriquez
Greg,

While I agree with what you say, because in fact all these options are possible, still I think the product should work in the way it was intended to.
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Gentlemen,

Carlyle's Crystals will make the original Mind's Eye Deck work for you.

Sven
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2830 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
I have a mind's Eye deck from when they first came out (has it been twenty years?) and I've looked at the new ones recently. I saw a noticeable decline in precision around the Svengali aspect, with the results decribed by others. However, after warning a freind about this who was recently purchasing a deck in a magic shop, he was able to find a couple sets that worked fine in a stock of 6-8 decks. So you may just have to be persistent to get your deck up to specs but it is worth it because this really does play well.

Bill
Comet
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of Comet
As I said I've been makeing mine using a Svengali deck. I print the images on lables that will fit over a card. trim the edges so there's no overhang. In using the Svengali deck as a starter I've really never had any problem with it at all. you can usually look at the top card and notice if it's the "right size" before any mistakes are made. If it's not I just use something like. " are you left handed or right handed?" whatever the answer put the deck back in correct order and ask them to use the other hand to cut with. I've NEVER had anyone ask what that was about. face it most people "want" to believe in the mind reader so they usually will do as asked and not have any question about it. I hope that makes some sense to someone lol. Enjoy!!
Joe Comet

P. S. If anyone has a good copy of the symbols in jpg format please let me know. I lost mine and no longer have a scanner that works.
thanks
Joe Comet
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2830 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Joe,

The symbols are in the Color Series and, I would suspect, Prism. Also, on the Max's Video Mind tapes? Just out of curiosity, where did you obtain them in jpg form?

Also, are the new decks still made by Onasaka? Has anyone contacted the manafacturer and let them know the product isn't working as indicated? It is hard to imagine Max Maven or Onasaka wanting to be associated with a defective product.

Bill
Comet
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of Comet
I had a deck that was purchaced and had scanned them in as I try to do most things that I'll be doing. I've been known to print out ESP cards with a client's logo on the back for a special show. Problem is I had a major crash not long ago and lost them. (ok so I should have put them on cd) After getting the new PC up and running I haven't been able to get them back on again. Lost my scanner as well during the "little crash" I had.
I have found the decks for sale online and I'm sure that any problem you may find with the deck could be overcome with a little work. I agree you shouldn't have to do anything with the price of the deck but like anything we learn to adapt.
hoodrat
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
383 Posts

Profile of hoodrat
Quote:
On 2005-03-24 17:08, Sven wrote:
Gentlemen,

Carlyle's Crystals will make the original Mind's Eye Deck work for you.

Sven

Sven,

What are Carlyle's Crystals? Could you please elaborate on your brief yet intriguing post for those of us who are less-knowledgeable? Thanks!
Menetekel
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of Menetekel
They are equivalent to silver bullet from Lee Earle
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Menetekel is right.
I should also have mentioned in my post, that the Carlyle Crystals of course don't help if you have a problem with the Svengali part. My suggestion was to avoid that the cards sticks together (which they often do)

Sven
hoodrat
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
383 Posts

Profile of hoodrat
Thank you for the clarification, Sven (and Menetekel!)
Eddini_81976
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of Eddini_81976
(Okay this is just a Copy & Paste of my review for "The Mind's Eye Deck". I see a lot of you have some of the same problems. I think I've come up with some alternative handlings which have already been touched upon above. Maybe this will help people. Also as a Alternative you couls do this with a s****** d***).

In my review of his tape "Parlour Mentalism" I gave this "Effect" a 9, or a 9.5. I really do LOVE this. I LOVE the concept. You show a deck of 40 or do all different designs no (Rough & Smooth), you shuffle, YES SHUFFLE the designs. By the way the cards are COMPLETELY white front and back except for the designs. With your back turned they cut the deck wherever they like into the plastic containder they come in. They look at and hide the card they cut to. IMMEDIATELY you can start giving vague descriptions of the design. You put the remainder cut portion in the containder, wrap it with a rubberband. You then, on your pad draw the design.

Even though I LOVE this effect, I've had some problems with it. The very first time I did it, I got it right. I then did it for my Mom, and I got it right like 2 out of 6 times. I studied the cards and they weren't "cut" very well. So I went to Hank Lee's (My Supplier), and got a exchange, and they were "cut" great. I still didn't bring them out to my street work, as I was nervous. Finally Last Weekend I brought them out. The VERY FIRST time I did it, I BOMBED. Now to those who know me I like things to work 99.5% of the time. I'm NO Risk Taker, no Dunninger in other words. I had no way out. I KNOW I was clear in my instructions. It was for like three couple who looked loaded and the lady was sober. Unfortunately this is a trick where there's no recovery from. I just said with a charming smile that it wasn't Magic, and sometimes these experiments just don't work. Then they watched away a bit. Another couple was there, a young teenage couple and I asked "Did that lady cut the cards as I asked?" The guy said yes but she got two, and just chose one. I then said again, I'll try it but with my back facing you two. You know what I STILL missed. I forgot to position something as they cut...DUH. I just put it away and said...oh well, and moved on.

Later on, I did it and I held the deck as the guy cut. I still missed. I WASN'T giving up as I STILL LOVE this "Feat". So I did it to his friend, and finely I GOT it after 3 times missing. What happened it during my shuffles the cards a couple got misplaced. (I'm trying to be vague as I can). So now when I do it, I show the cards all white on the back to rule out any markings. I give the deck a few cuts casually showing the designs and so on. I hold the deck (I DON'T think it takes away from it as the backs are all white, and I casually mix them too), in front of me and I just say cut the cards. I tell them to put the cards in his hand in the plastic container and to take the card he cut to, to look at it and hide it. I then put the cards in the case, and "so on". I then take my small notebook, (if I can I will start describing the design before I get my notebook and pen), which is the small type with the spiral on top. Now on the cover (again I'm trying to be vague), on the inside, I have "stuff written down", though 75% of the time I can remember what I need to. Again I like to leave nothing to chance. They can't see my writings on the inside top flap anyway as I hide my writing. So I did it like 8 times and I got it like 5 times. So you learn as you go.

So that's how I'm doing it from now on. You can't trust people no matter how well and even demonstrate HOW to do something, plus things can drop. It takes nothing away from the effect I don't think, to show all the cards different, all the backs all blank, and casually cut the cards and even have a few people cut them as you talk, then while holding the deck, have them cut the cards as described above and do the routine that way. EVEN then it's still possible for it to not work, and if not, there only one more place to glimpse "for a second try as the thoughts aren't coming to you right off", and through talking and misdirection doing that glimpse should not be hard at all. Or to be safe you can make two glimpses as you turn your back as they're showing the card design they cut too.

Yes even after all of that trouble mostly my doing, I still LOVE this. It's so brilliant, and SO STRONG. Anyway those are just some pointers to those who alreadt have this GREAT EFFECT and may have run into the same troubles as me, and maybe people here could give me pointers. Trust me though BUY THIS !!! It's worth every penny. The memorization isn't bad at all. As I said, I like to leave nothing to chance. This really ISN'T a daunting effect to perform if you do it like me, because as I said it may not be as good as with your back turned, BUT at the same time having it done in front of you doesn't take away from it either. I give this a SOLID 9. Thanks, Ed.
"Treat Others As You'd Want To Be Treated" - Jesus Christ
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2511 Posts

Profile of Waters
I might be stating the obvious, but does everyone tap the end of the deck on the table after a shuffle. I don't recall anyone mentioning this. Due to the S******I principle, they would need to be readjusted (aligned) by tapping to "straighten them" (openly) after a shuffle. I have never had any problems after doing this.

Sean
AngeJudor
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of AngeJudor
Tanks Eddini_81976 for this review, your experience is very interesting and as I was wondering weither or not I will buy it, I now know I will send my order.

Thanks again,

Ange.
John Kokot
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of John Kokot
For Sale: One "Mind's Eye Deck" in pristine condition. Includes plastic card case and instructions. $26.50. I pay postage to addresses in the United States.
Eddini_81976
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of Eddini_81976
Yes I shuffled it, but beforehand I tapped them to. Good Point, Ed. (Eddini)

P.S. The Cards NEED to be shuffled Face-Up FYI

Quote:
On 2005-07-29 04:46, magic h2os wrote:
I might be stating the obvious, but does everyone tap the end of the deck on the table after a shuffle. I don't recall anyone mentioning this. Due to the S******I principle, they would need to be readjusted (aligned) by tapping to "straighten them" (openly) after a shuffle. I have never had any problems after doing this.

Sean
"Treat Others As You'd Want To Be Treated" - Jesus Christ
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Infuriating Problems With the Mind's Eye Deck (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL