The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Opener (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tom DV
View Profile
Special user
694 Posts

Profile of Tom DV
Hi everyone, I'm curious to know whether most of you begin your peformances with something very quick and attention grabbing, such as a swami effect, or a more subtle, relaxed opener, for example bank night.
(The two examples just being basic, well known effects used her to represent many of similar ilk)
Also, I'm quite intersted to know whether you introduce the show etc before or after your opening effect (excluding pre-show performance)
thanks a lot
munger
View Profile
Loyal user
austria
265 Posts

Profile of munger
Hi!
I begin my act telling the audience a little story about time and start with bob cassidys chronology as an opener.
I introduce the show before the opener

hope this helps
mario
Tom DV
View Profile
Special user
694 Posts

Profile of Tom DV
Thanks mario, much appreciated
KiKi
View Profile
Inner circle
GERMANY/ Hannover
1143 Posts

Profile of KiKi
I introduce the show also, and then I start with a short demonstration
with a swami! (number between 1-50) kiki
mrfluffy
View Profile
Loyal user
250 Posts

Profile of mrfluffy
Luke jermay's dangerous opener
munger
View Profile
Loyal user
austria
265 Posts

Profile of munger
Where can I find this opener from jermay?
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
Quote:
On 2004-12-26 16:16, munger wrote:
Where can I find this opener from jermay?

Try on Jermay's new book "THE CORAL FANG"... Smile
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
JChristensen
View Profile
New user
St. Louis, MO
71 Posts

Profile of JChristensen
I recently switched to Osterlind's Bank Night and love it. You begin by having fun with the audience.
Tom DV
View Profile
Special user
694 Posts

Profile of Tom DV
Thanks guys, just what I wanted.
ShaunRobison
View Profile
Loyal user
255 Posts

Profile of ShaunRobison
I use an opener from Paolo Cavalli's book.. It is called Chairvelopes
Contact him and buy his book if it is still available. VERY STRONG MATERIAL!!!

Shaun Robison
www.shaunrobison.com
Magic and Illustrations
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
Shaun, glad you like it.

CHAIRVELOPES has been my opener of choice during this whole past year.

It's a very strong and a very flexible routine which has always gotten great reactions from my audiences!
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1545 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
For me, it depends on my mood and the audience that I'm performing for. Most of the time, it's Richard's Bank Night. Lately, if I feel that the audience is not quite ready for the performance, I'll do the swami opener.

One of the best (and most used) openers that I've seen is the Magic Square. I saw Marc Salem open with this, then hear that a lot of others began doing it as well.

Rick
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer

Coming soon:
Victorian Secrets: An Evening With The Spirits!
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2268 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
I begin with a suggestability test on the whole audience, showing them "the powers within their own minds"

K
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
SpAgHeTtI
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of SpAgHeTtI
Rick how does the magic square is presented as an opener?

Thx Smile
Bennettjc
View Profile
Loyal user
Brooklyn, NY
257 Posts

Profile of Bennettjc
SpAgHeTtI
When I saw Salem do it he opens with a big square on a big board on the stage (of a Broadway theater). I forget how many squares but it has and how the audience selects the numbers. At the time I was not familiar with magic squares. What he does is talk about how doing the square is like a "warm-up" for his mind and subsequent feats.

By the way, I saw Harry Lorrayne do the old 4x4 square on a memory tape of his as a closer. The whole thing had a very infomercial feel to it. But he had 100s of people hooting and dropping their jaws.
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
I have opened with Richard Osterlind's Bank Night since I first learned it.
It is fun to do and watch, opens for the interaction with the spectactors, and establishes you as "Mr. Nice"

I did a smal informal performance for 25 people or so yesterday, and for the first time I did a Swami opener. It was great and did immediately draw the attention. I guess I will put in an "opener #2" if I should use it for a larger audience.

El Numero also plays very very good, and I have planned to use that in a future performance to test it out.

Sven
Rabbitless Hat
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Rabbitless Hat
Using the magic square as a prediction and combining it with a mnemonics demonstration is also explored in Invisible Book Test from Mind Explosions by Bob Cassidy. Includes some clever memory aids for the magic square and a nice presentation angle.
"Too much flourish for the magicians. Too much magic for the flourishers."
pointStack
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of pointStack
I like 'The Bold and Beautiful Prophesy' by Ted k from Syzygz. It's stright forward and very quickly to the point. I think that a good opener should not involve spectators having to leave seats and come to the stage. This is dead time and bad rhythm for the performance. I have also used Cassidy's Chronolgy but it can play a little long.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2004-12-31 03:05, Sven Rygh wrote:
It is fun to do and watch, opens for the interaction with the spectactors, and establishes you as "Mr. Nice"

I did a smal informal performance for 25 people or so yesterday, and for the first time I did a Swami opener. It was great and did immediately draw the attention. I guess I will put in an "opener #2" if I should use it for a larger audience.

El Numero also plays very very good, and I have planned to use that in a future performance to test it out.

Sven

El Numero. Thank you Syd. R.I.P.

Candin
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On 2006-09-05 18:00, Candini wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-12-31 03:05, Sven Rygh wrote:

Sven

El Numero. Thank you Syd. R.I.P.

Candin

For those that do El Numero you might want to check out my post called El Time-Oh! for a different presentation using the same method.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Opener (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL