The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » Impromptu patter (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mirokai
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Mirokai
When you perform a routine you have a patter for it. The effects (and there on patter) fit together and you have a transition between them.
But what happens when you want to perform impromptu, lets say in a family gathering (very accord to this Christmas season). Ok you know some tricks and there patter but how do you linked them together? Maybe you want to do an old routine you know but you aren’t prepare; for example you can’t make the transition between one effect and the other because you need an extra deck.

How do you manage this?

Thanks.
"Tout ce qui nous arrive de bien et de mal ici-bas était écrit là-haut" Diderot
kOnO
View Profile
Special user
545 Posts

Profile of kOnO
Quote:
On 2004-12-26 16:44, Mirokai wrote:
...perform impromptu, lets say in a family gathering (very accord to this Christmas season). Ok you know some tricks and there patter but how do you linked them together? Maybe you want to do an old routine you know but you aren’t prepare; for example you can’t make the transition between one effect and the other because you need an extra deck.

How do you manage this?

Mirokai,

My impromptu performance is always well rehearsed.
I know this sounds like a contradiction but when I go to a family or friend’s function I am always ready to perform if asked. I make it look like it is unexpected and I am not really prepared but in fact I have practiced for this show as much as I have for any of my shows.
I have a couple of set routines that I carry with me wherever I go. I try never to go anywhere unprepared because once it is known that you are a magician everyone wants to see some MAGIC.
When in comes to impromptu magic, like a Boy Scout my motto is “BE PREPARED”

kOnO
It is a lot easier to get older than it is to get wiser.
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
I'm not sure this is the right place for impromtu magic, but I second Kono.
I'f I'm going and expect to be asked for a trick, I carry my own cards as borrowed decks in England are usually overworn, creased, and bent.
I have standard tricks which I perform - based on my walk around routines.
And only perform when I'm ready and set up.
Quite often I will walk into a room and be asked to perform staight away. " let me get a drink first" or " I'll just go to the toilet" is all you need to set up.

Regarding the patter - just the normal walk around. - but since its informal I try to deliver the patter as myself, not as a performer.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » Impromptu patter (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL