The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Vernon question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4724 Posts

Profile of landmark
This is a real question, not rhetorical or sarcastic. Perhaps ignorant.

Was there anything in magic Vernon couldn't do (besides make a living from it!) or any category of magic he didn't contribute to?

My guess would be large scale illusions, but even then I'm not sure.

Anybody care to give their thoughts?

Thanks,
Jack Shalom
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
I can't answer your question but my opinion is that nobody ever lived who could do everything with their art. It really isn't a matter of not being able to do something, it is more of a matter of doing those things that you enjoy and will use and not spending the time to learn or practice to perfection something that you will never use or enjoy.
Jimi Hendrix probably couldn't play Flamenco guitar but only because he did not have enough interest to learn it or practice it because it just was not his style.
I am sure there was plenty of sleights and effects that Mr. Vernon could not do only because he did what pleased him and suited his personality but you can bet that if he wanted to learn any sleight or effect, he could do it and do it well.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
ursusminor
View Profile
Elite user
Norway
443 Posts

Profile of ursusminor
Quote:
On 2004-12-27 10:21, landmark wrote:

Was there anything in magic Vernon couldn't do (besides make a living from it!) or any category of magic he didn't contribute to?

Taking into consideration that Vernon only had an "ordinary job" for about 2 weeks in the late thirties, (Where he nearly lost both arms...)I'd be temted to say he really made his living by magic alone!

Bjørn
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them
pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened."
- Winston Churchill"
Matt Graves
View Profile
Special user
Huntsville, Alabama (USA)
504 Posts

Profile of Matt Graves
Kind of ironic that the world's greatest sleight of hand artist nearly lost both hands when he quit performing for a while.

I think he could do any magic that he wanted to. And his talents were not limited to magic, either. He played sports in school, and he cut silhouettes as an extra job aside from his magic. Silhouette-cutting looks very difficult to do well . . .

But he wasn't only a close-up magician, either. That was just what he liked best. He also did a couple of stage show tours here and there. In one he wore a Chinese mask, I think . . . and did his awesome Linking Rings routine.
Torkova
View Profile
Regular user
Astoria, NY
193 Posts

Profile of Torkova
Vernon would make a good part of his living cutting silhouettes in Atlantic City during the Spring and Summer. In the Wintertime when the boardwalks were closed, he would perform magic at private parties and on cruises.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Vernon question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL