The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Magic Magazine Reviews Spelmann DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Bennettjc
View Profile
Loyal user
Brooklyn, NY
257 Posts

Profile of Bennettjc
I haven't read Close's review in its entirety but he basically says the DVDs are not worthwhile.
scott b.
View Profile
Special user
734 Posts

Profile of scott b.
Ummmmmm, I'm sure if we want to know the whole review we will get the dvds. Plus, I never go with one mans view on something when buying it. If they look good (and they do) I would considering buying them. Plus its Michael Close who is a well known magician, and compare that to working Mentalists like Larry Becker and Banachek who said these are worthwhile I would reasonably consider buying the dvds.
Thanks! Scott B.

"I don't know the key to success . . . but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby
Murfmind
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of Murfmind
I find Mike Close to be pretty accurate with his reviews and his reviews of these videos wasn't pretty. I would like to hear from someone who has bought these and what they think. Murf

Just an added comment, Mike Close gives high regard to Becker, Osterlind, Banachek and Max Maven so I think he knows a good mentalist when he sees one. Murf
scott b.
View Profile
Special user
734 Posts

Profile of scott b.
Quote:
On 2004-12-27 18:45, Murfmind wrote:
I find Mike Close to be pretty accurate with his reviews and his reviews of these videos wasn't pretty. I would like to hear from someone who has bought these and what they think. Murf

Well the main point I try to make about it is that yes, I agree that Michael Close tends to be accurate about his reviews (though I think I would want a full blown mentalist to review items like this) but its only 1 mans opinion. Just because he doesn't like it or give it high reguards, doesn't mean that you wont. Different strokes for Different folks.
Thanks! Scott B.

"I don't know the key to success . . . but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby
Dave1216
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of Dave1216
You should look at a reviewer and base your decisions on how well his opinions match your own. For example, Michael Close and I tend to like the same products.....threfore, I put more weight on his reviews.

But that is just my personal opinion. As they say..."To each his own"
My new DVD ("The magic of David Corsaro") is now available from your favorite dealer. Watch the DVD that Daryl, Jon Allen, Shawn Farquhar, Boris Wild, Marc DeSouza, Asi Wind and Paul Green ALL ENDORSE.

Visit www.timetobeawesome.com to watch the new weekly Video Blog for magicians, "Time to be awesome."
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2269 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
I love Michael Close material also and often agree with his views, however he did slate Building Blocks and I got a quite a bit from it, as well as Spellman's DVDs which I also liked a great deal and got a lot of useful stuff from.

I would go with "each to their own" and say you must check them out for yourself as I truly think you would get something out of them. I know that a fe wof my more recent ideas have come from springboarding off Spellman's DVD set.

Only my opinion though,

K
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
Dark Thought 13
View Profile
Regular user
Washington D.C.
122 Posts

Profile of Dark Thought 13
I haven't read the review in full either but must agree with Kennedy on this one, Luke Jermey was ripped to pieces by Close yet his work has some valied use. I don't think kids magic should be reviewed by card magicians, or illusions reviewed by mentalists. I for one really didn't care for the Pot Hole effect but that is because I'd never do it, for Close it is a reputation maker.
My personal experience of the Spellman DVDs is if you are not a professional performer with the ability to perform in stand up situations then the dvds are not for you, except maybe disc 4, if however you do perform in these settings the dvds are more valueable then ETMMM or Mind Mysteries at least to me they are as the routines I have taken on play much bigger for the audience as a whole. ETMMM are great dvds but again I would only use two or three effects from them the same as I would from the Spellmans.

Just my opinion having purchased all of the above DVDs..
"I love the one with the plastic thumb!"
Someone who has seen a s*** magician
Bennettjc
View Profile
Loyal user
Brooklyn, NY
257 Posts

Profile of Bennettjc
Dark Thought 13:
For what it is worth...Swiss (a card magician) gave a glowing review to David Kaye's book on children's magic. If you have a chance to read the review you might appreciate the value of a reviewer reviewing something slightly out of their usual realm of performance.

Also..some of the best reviewers (Roger Ebert etc) are not practioners of the art they professionally review.

Respeck!
Bennett
christopher carter
View Profile
Special user
660 Posts

Profile of christopher carter
Quote:
On 2004-12-28 10:11, Bennettjc wrote:

Also..some of the best reviewers (Roger Ebert etc) are not practioners of the art they professionally review.

Respeck!
Bennett

A very good point. However, in general I have been disappointed in Mike Close's reviews of mentalism materials. For example, he gave a negative review of Peek Performances, which is on my list of ten best mentalism books ever written. His review of Luke's Building Blocks was a mixed bag. Some of it hit the mark, some of it was way off.

My feeling is that Close doesn't have a very good insight into what sort of things a mentalist can play, or how to pull off suggestion based effects. His perspective seems to me to be that of a magician, which would make his review valuable to the many magicians starting to take up mentalism, but wouldn't do much to encourage them to view the craft from a fresh perspective.

It's very important for readers to understand that there is simply no such thing as an unbiased or perfect reviewer. We need to weigh their opinions against our own and not treat a review as a definitive statement about a product.

--Chris
oxygen
View Profile
Regular user
Paris
186 Posts

Profile of oxygen
I really liked Marc Spelmann DVD set and I really think that everyone could get something from them.
If the effects don't suit you like they are perform on the dvds, I'm pretty sure you'll get at least some food for your own creativity.
I got really inspired by many of Marc's ideas.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4755 Posts

Profile of landmark
Close's review was pretty brutal. But he clearly stated his reasons for his opinion, backing it up with examples from the DVDs. I think that is the most useful and ethical kind of reviewer, even if you don't agree with him.

Also, in the same set of reviews he gives a very favorable review of Bob Cassidy's latest compilation. In fact, he even uses some of Cassidy's words to explain his dislike of the Spelmann material. I haven't seen the DVDs, but if Close's description of the plots are accurate, some of the plots sure seem indirect.

But if people found inspiration there, I suppose that's a good thing. Expensive though.

Jack Shalom
christopher carter
View Profile
Special user
660 Posts

Profile of christopher carter
Quote:
On 2004-12-28 10:59, landmark wrote:
I think that is the most useful and ethical kind of reviewer, even if you don't agree with him.

Quite right. I'm interested in reading it.

--Chris
MentaThought
View Profile
Special user
615 Posts

Profile of MentaThought
Quote:
On 2004-12-28 10:40, christopher carter wrote:

A very good point. However, in general I have been disappointed in Mike Close's reviews of mentalism materials.

I've not seen the Spelmann DVD's yet (very much looking forward to doing so, though) and for all I know Close makes some legitimate criticisms of the set.
However, I would like to point out that, if I recall correctly (by all means, correct me if I'm mistaken), Close gave a rave review to Killer Red Caps, an effect which must be one of the most notorious in recent memory.
Again, "to each his own" seems to be the operative principle.
"A good mentalist ... will teach you a miracle because he understands the subtleties ..." -- Banachek

"If this works it'll be BEAUTIFUL!" - The Amazing Kreskin on a stunning effect he performed on his 1970s television series (PS: it worked)
Murfmind
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of Murfmind
Thanks all for the input. Murf
Gianni
View Profile
Special user
WILMINGTON, DE
992 Posts

Profile of Gianni
I read the review and have the DVDs.

Close's reviews are the first thing I turn to in Magic. I look forward to them. I also have his CD of 7 years or so of his reviews, and I really enjoy that.

Having said how much I enjoy Close's reviews, I think he was off-base and far too negative in his review of the Spelmann DVDs. I enjoyed the DVDs, and thought they were very worthwhile. I think valid criticisms could address the price, the number of CDS, etc., but overall, I think these are thumbs up CDs. How they managed to get such a brutal review is beyond me.

I had the feeling with this review that had Spelmann been a known performer, the review would have been less invective. I had the feeling that due to Spelmann's age, his distance, and his relative obscurity Mike Close went for the throat. I have seen MANY reviews of products that I thought were mundane (even trash) but put out by more revered magicians, and the reviews were gentle even when the product was panned. I have rarely seen Mike Close be so forceful in stating his dislike for a product. And this product does not deserve such a punishing review. It is, overall, a solid product.

And I'm sorry MentaThought beat me to it, but I still reel from Mike Close's review of Killer Red Caps. It was an over the top, "I'm sorry the world is able to get this item" review for an utter piece of garbage.

Bottom line: I suppose every reviewer has their moments when they take to the extremes. I think this is one of those moments for Michael Close.

Gianni
Stefan Behrens
View Profile
New user
Schwarzenbek, Germany
38 Posts

Profile of Stefan Behrens
Hi Gianni,

Great review, I have the Spellman DVD´s too, and I think they are worth the money.
Maybe Michael Close has a "bad day".

Stefan Behrens
Bennettjc
View Profile
Loyal user
Brooklyn, NY
257 Posts

Profile of Bennettjc
Gianni:
Nice post and an interesting theory.

Has Close ever given a really harsh review to a product by a well-known active performer? If my recall is correct he once was really critical of a Karrell Fox vid but Fox had passed away by the time the review was written.

Cheers
scott b.
View Profile
Special user
734 Posts

Profile of scott b.
Quote:
On 2004-12-29 08:43, Bennettjc wrote:
Has Close ever given a really harsh review to a product by a well-known active performer? If my recall is correct he once was really critical of a Karrell Fox vid but Fox had passed away by the time the review was written.

Cheers

From what I understand he gave Luke Jermay (I believe) a pretty harsh review.
Thanks! Scott B.

Matt Andrews
View Profile
Loyal user
Switzerland
219 Posts

Profile of Matt Andrews
OK, I haven't read Michael Close's review, but I have Marc Spelmann's DVDs as well as Michael Closes Ultimate Workers DVDs.

For me, one of the major "problems" of Marc DVDs is the audience participation. Because of the way it was filmed, you hardly see or hear the audience respond to the effects (in contrary to Richard Osterlind's DVDs, where the audience is there to see all the time).

Another "problem" of Marc DVDs is cultural. And I guess most of the UK mentalists here on the café will confirm that a English audience is less expansive than an American one. (maybe if they had one or two drinks beforehand Smile )

And due to the two above mentioned points, I felt that the routines "felt" long and I wanted sometimes to say "get on with it". But retrospectively, if the audience was reacting more and I saw its reaction more, then the routine would have been alright. Marc has already written here on the café that when he performs live, his rhythm is faster paced.

So on the performance value, I agree that it doesn't reach Richard Osterlind's DVD, but mostly due to the audience. Now on the presented effects and what I can learn from them, I am very happy I bought these DVDs (his staple gun routine and chair prediction are really great and the day I'll perform on a stage or parlor, I will use these routines in my show).

Would I recommend these DVDs ? For a new mentalist who wants to perform parlor or stage, certainly, because of the variety and the different methods used.

At the beginning of my post, I mentioned I have Michael Close's DVDs and as much as I like Michael for the efforts that he puts in order to create a "worker", his performance style is definitely not my cup of tea and I don't think it would fit a British audience.

Matt
Loyal user
Brooklyn, NY
257 Posts

Profile of Bennettjc
Scott B:
True but I'm curious if he's ever been really harsh with a real big name, perhaps outside of mentalism. Has he ever really blasted an Ammar for example. I will definately be checking the few back issues I have.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Magic Magazine Reviews Spelmann DVD (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL