We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Sword swallowing (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
FacadeTheStiltBoy
View Profile
Elite user
Greensboro NC
474 Posts

Profile of FacadeTheStiltBoy
Well that was a possible name out of the list,

It's called Art Vs Mayhem, (AKA John vs the angry bar staff not expecting a sideshow to perform at their dive)

I was also just considering changing swords from the old world war one bayonette (that is 16 inches long) to something a little thinner in thickness (like some cheap pakistani sword that I wouldn't mind grinding up a bit)
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
Back in '73 I did a straitjacket escape (ungaffed Humane Restraint Co.) at a local MDAA telethon, and some teen girls says "You cheated."

"How?" I asked with a grin.

"You still cheated." she replied. walking away.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
MattTheKnife
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of MattTheKnife
Hahaha, man ya just gotta love answers like that!

-Matt (TK)
Cameron
View Profile
New user
Toledo Ohio
32 Posts

Profile of Cameron
Ok I started off Juggling but this stuff all of it just drives me wild I wanna do it all I PMed Todd on regurgitation but I decided I could get some advice from more poeple on that and sword swallowing all at once =) If you don't wanna post that's fine but please PM me Id like some info on where to learn Im half tempted to just start sticking objects donw my throat but I guess that's probobly not a real smart idea... Any way a good old fashoned point in the right direction would be great either a book or a person Hope to hear some info.
MattTheKnife
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of MattTheKnife
Cameron,

You defiantly need a person to teach you to SwSw. Otherwise there is a terribly high risk of fatality. Seriously, I’m not the sort who tries to overplay the dangers of SwSw... simply because you don't need to.

I don't know who's in your area doing it but I recommend that you check out the Sword Swallowers Association International for a full listing of us and you’ll likely be able to find someone that’s reasonably close.

Bye-the-by, a full regurgitation act can be very bad for your heart so you may want to rethink that one.

If I can help you with anything else then feel free to PM me and I’ll get back in touch as soon as I can.

Cheers,
-Matt (TK)

PS- if you want to get some more info on it then you should come out to our annual Sword Swallowers Convention held in collaboration with The Sideshow Gathering in the first week of September. Here’s the link for info on it: http://www.knddesign.com/tsg/home2.html
FacadeTheStiltBoy
View Profile
Elite user
Greensboro NC
474 Posts

That and the sideshow gathering is a hell of a blast to go to.

(I'm still working on my fiance to go, it's a week before we get married, but I'm trying to convince her to do it on stage)

Other than that I have been improving a little bit better with the swsw, but overall it just takes a lot of practice to really get it. (that and you gotta deal with the amount of flack when you admit to becoming a vomit fountain durring practice if you still have a senstive gag reflex)
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
Here's a "Made ya think." I wonder if PK magnets will stick to a swallowed sword? On second thought, they could pull the sword off track... Not a good thing.
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
Cameron
View Profile
New user
Toledo Ohio
32 Posts

Profile of Cameron
PK magnets? *Confused*
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
When you can actually swallow a sword, get back to me... <G>
Slim
sanscan@tds.net

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
Cameron
View Profile
New user
Toledo Ohio
32 Posts

Profile of Cameron
Doh well I could right now but I'm shure it would hurt really bad and id probobly end up in the hospital right after... does that count?
levitatingace
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of levitatingace
Cameron, I think you should leave this forum before you insult anyone more. slim and everyone on this forums are proffesionals. I don't perform sideshow feats on the scale that they do. but I have immense respect for them. Getting injured swallowing a sword is not something to joke about.

jacob jax
FacadeTheStiltBoy
View Profile
Elite user
Greensboro NC
474 Posts

I just wanted to say that I finally got my first sword all the way down to the hilt.

Technically though it's not much of a sword, it is an old ww1 bayonet made in 1907 for the Einfield rifle.

even after grinding on it it is still 16 inches in blade lenght.
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2907 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
It's not the size that counts. There are a few nice tricks you can do with a bayonet. There's a lovely flourish that Alex Linton used to do (he may have originated it) that is perfect for a bayonet. I'll PM you the details.

Todd
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
Todd, The Shimmy Shawabble?" It was awesome...
Slim

BTW, My first (and only) sword was a bayonet. I was only good enough for the bally.
Slim
sanscan@tds.net

FacadeTheStiltBoy
View Profile
Elite user
Greensboro NC
474 Posts

That would be cool if you would send it Todd.

The reason that I used the old WW1 bayonette was that it was 20 bucks and easier for me to work with (grinding down, polishing ect) as compared to some cheap stainless sword that I could find at a flea market. (never mind that it is hard as hell to find one that doesn't have stupid cutouts or etching on it or looks like it comes with a set of D20 dice Smile )

http://moderngypsy.com/lj/j/swordswallow-web.jpg

Eliza my fiance took this picture last night, I just wish that I didn't have the stupid looking expression on my face about it though.
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
Ok so I don't swollow swords, but... no really...I wouldn't post unless I thought it might be valid.
When a lay person says "trick" they do not alway's use the term as we would. They don't define between magic, juggling, or swsw. I often have people asking me to do some tricks, often they mean juggling as that's all they've seen me do, yet!
So don't alway's get upset, because they've used the wrong word; but I'm sure some people do think it's faked, even though it is impossible you could have faked.
Paul
FacadeTheStiltBoy
View Profile
Elite user
Greensboro NC
474 Posts

You know, the weird thing is I was asked if I had "the surgery" done on my throat so I can do it.

Personially I have never heared of such thing though.
markmagic
View Profile
New user
KY
57 Posts

Profile of markmagic
The annual sword swallowing convention. Where is it held?
FacadeTheStiltBoy
View Profile
Elite user
Greensboro NC
474 Posts

The Ink in the Vally Tattoo Convention in Westbourogh PA (it is held in conjunction with the sideshow gathering)

It is an absolute blast you should come on with.
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2907 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Actually, it's in Wilkes-Barre, PA.

And it's on Labor Day weekend. Here's the link:

http://www.knddesign.com/tsg/home2.html
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Sword swallowing (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL