The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » 3 Fly » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mike Giusti
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of Mike Giusti
OK, youngsters!

I know, I know, but you knew it was coming, didn’t ya?

I know a limited number were made, but does anyone know for sure if Bob Kohler still has a set or two available?

I just happen to have $250.00 burning a hole in my pants (nice visual, I know...)!

Mike
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1093 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
Hi Mike, in his recent newsletter, he has a few of his own items advertised. One of them is the U3F. The price is $310 with video. You can e-mail him at Bobkohler@lvcm.com

Would have bought it if I have the extra cash! Smile Hope this helps.
Bernard Sim
Noel
View Profile
Regular user
Surrey, England
132 Posts

Profile of Noel
I spoke to him 2 weeks ago at a magic convention in the UK. He said he had 10 sets left.

Regards,

Noel
Spydur
View Profile
Special user
PDX, now San Diego...back to PDX
966 Posts

Profile of Spydur
Why do people insist on spending $250+ on coin effects that you can achieve with a little bit of skill and some practice. Come on guys! Just because someone releases a $300 coin trick does not mean that you have to run out and get it.

I suggest that you take a look at Chris Kenner’s book, Daryl’s notes, Paul Wilson’s Video, and/or Troy Hoosier’s book. These will save you some $$$.

ouT.

Spydur
Mike Giusti
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of Mike Giusti
Actually, Spyderman...

I bought one as a Christmas present for a friend who works restaurants and really wanted it. I have the Kenner book, and it meets all my needs. However, after seeing it performed and checking out the gimmick, I think I'll be borrowing it from time to time.

There's a reason for all the commotion.
aaronmagic
View Profile
New user
San Pedro, CA
5 Posts

Profile of aaronmagic
I have a friend who purchased this effect. The nice thing about this effect is that it can be used for other principles. Not only can it be used for one of the most impressive and cleanest 3 fly effects, but you can implement this gimmick into your other coin routines?
Spydur
View Profile
Special user
PDX, now San Diego...back to PDX
966 Posts

Profile of Spydur
Yeah, I know that you can use it for other routines, but it is a lot of money to spend. I not only value my time, but skill as well.

So not only do I not want to BLOW that kind of money, but I like knowing that I have obtained something that not everybody can do.

HOWEVER, if someone wanted to give me a U3F for free I would not turn them down.

ouT.

Spydur Smile
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2021 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
Spydur, I got a deal for ya: if you come across one, I'll trade you FOUR card signature duplicators for it! Retail $320, printed on quality Office Max stock.
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
strollingmagician
View Profile
Regular user
187 Posts

Profile of strollingmagician
I bought mine one year ago,and I love it! Bob Kohler showed it to me one night at the
Magic Castle. It is the only 3 fly routine that I have seen fool magicians. I came up with an ending that will fool even magicians familiar with 3 fly effects.

Only buy it, if you want to fool magicians because you could fool every lay person with Kenner's version.

Bob only has a few sets left! Smile
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5275 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
In truth, many magicians (maybe even most magicians) are not all that hard to fool especially those who tend to specialize in a particular branch of magic and limit their scope. I have seen a good card man blow away a great coin guy with just a very basic routine. I have also seen it the other way, a good coin guy can blow away a room full of card guys performing Kenner’s III fly when it was first published.

I was at Denny and Lee’s Magic Studio last Monday and asked Denny (a great “general” magician himself, and, is tops in several areas of magic) if he had actually seen the Kohler gimmicked version. Denny, who is brutally honest about “slum” magic, “junk” magic (and magicians) and focuses on quality items for the working magician, said that it was the “absolute best version” he has ever seen. He watched Bob perform it several times and was blown away each time by the smooth transitions. That was even after he had played with the coins himself and knew the workings. Denny recommended the Kohler version to the working professional with the money to spend. He noted that even with the gimmicked coins, it was not a self-working trick and just owning it would not make the owner a good performer. Of course that is true about every magic effect gimmicked or not.

Still the question that a part-time pro (one who performs maybe four times a month or less), must ask is, is it really worth the capital investment? Especially when a very adequate version is available which does not require any gimmicks at all. Kenner’s or Daryl’s versions are both very good, well thought out, fairly easy to master and will serve in most situations.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Actually, the version that Kenner BLEW AWAY other magicians with - you know, the one that really created interest in his book - requires gaffus maximus, way beyond the simple method used for Kohler's "Ultimate 3Fly". This method was not included in the Kenner book, of course, or you probably wouldn't have made the above statement.

It is interesting to note, however, that when it really mattered, Kenner resorted to a gaffed method. Food for thought.

Regards,
Thomas Wayne
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5275 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Good point Thomas! I wasn’t referring to Kenner’s performance of the piece, but his published version. I believe that his published version is very do-able for most magicians. Frankly, I have never seen him perform 3-Fly and did not know that he used a gimmicked version for magicians. Live and learn.

Also, I have not seen the Kohler version performed by anyone. However, based on reviews from working magicians, whose judgment I respect, I would probably invest the $310.00
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2021 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
Had the type of gaffed coins used in Kohler's routine been used/manufactired before, or was that their first appearance? If they were around before, are they availale for other coins (halves or quarters), possibly at, shall we say, a less startling price?
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
The gaffs are an adaptaion of an older principle, first proposed by Bob Kohler and brought to fruition by the genius of Todd Lassen - that's how I remember the story, anyway.

As for other denominations, it's my understanding that Todd will make the set from any coins you want, as soon as he confirms that you've already bought the original from Kohler. Of course, the sticker price IS a little shocking, but - and this is the part that some Cafe-ers have a hard time acknowledging - you aren't just paying for some re-manufactured coins; you are also paying for a complete routine refined over fifteen years of field testing, and you are paying for a formerly un-released pet secret. In spite of the many self-proclaimed experts who complain that the price is somewhat high, I have NEVER heard that complaint from someone who actually OWNS the set. I have a set, for which I paid full retail, and it is one of my favorite coin routines to perform - although I do it more as a coins acrosss than a (fingertip) 3Fly.

As for finding the set in a previous or cheaper version, you won't. The gaff as it it is now used is original to Kohler/Lassen; any imitation should necessarilly be considered stolen intellectual property. In fact, since the routine itself is proprietary, even if you just borrowed a set [and learned the instructions] from a friend (say for a week or so) you would be blatantly guilty of theft.

Regards,
Thomas Wayne
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2021 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
Thanks Thomas, that was exactly what I was wondering.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5275 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
When you really think about what you are getting, the license and the where-withal to perform a solid and audience tested routine, then $310.00 doesn’t seem like all that much. It ISN’T that much at all. I know comedians who have paid more than that for a good joke! Heck, I have paid more than that for items that fell out of my act after one season (truth be told, I have paid more than that for items that never found their way into any act I have built!).

For working professional (including the working part time professional) solid, well-made props that will last the rigors of use are worth more than their weight in gold. Many performers insure that they have two of everything, they use regularly in their acts, to insure against the odd loss or damage.

There are some apparently costly items on the market right now. This version of 3-Fly, Dean Dill’s Box ($250.00), and Barry Price’s LePaul Wallet ($185.00) come immediately to mind. However, to the working performer in whose act these items fit well, the cost is considered cheap.

I agree with Thomas, that for those who actually have and are using the set (and a version of the routine), there will be no complaints whatsoever.

It is strange to see the odd set appearing on E-Bay from time to time. Perhaps, the few magicians who simply could not find a spot in their acts for the routine are selling them. Maybe they are being offered by those few magicians who simply have to know the
“secret” of an effect even though they never plan to perform it. Or perhaps, they are being sold by those who knew a good thing and jumped on buying a set (or sets) for resale. Who knows?

I believe that 3-Fly, whatever version used, gimmicked or not, is a good piece of coin magic for a stand-up magician. It’s visual and easy to follow. Frankly, there are not that many coin routines that easily lend themselves to stand-up venues (Miser’s Dream being another). If this effect is in your repertory (act) and if you are working regularly then this will be a good investment for you.
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3025 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
I'll add my 2 cents or in this case $310 to say that Kohler's version is well worth the money. If I include this set of gaff coins to my total, I have about $950.00 worth of Todd Lassen gaffed coins (though some of this value is just in expensive ungaffed coins). I don't regret one purchase of Todd's stuff, ALL of the coins I actively use.

Just today I recieved a coin set from Todd I paid $200 for. This does not even include a routine! Looking at U3F: $310.00 for a unique, one of a kind, expertly crafted gaff set of coins, as well as the pet routine on video from one of the finest working magicians today, it definitely worth the money in my opinion.

I am familiar with and learned routines from other magicians (my prior favorite being Paul Wilson's version). It is interesting that Paul Wilson now uses the U3F gaff in his version of Crowded Coins - if you get a chance to see Paul do this, it rivals Kohler's presentation.

My reasons for buying the routine are:

1. You can hand out the coins before and after the routine.
2. You can show cleanly only three coins in play during the routine.
3. You don't need worn out soft coins.
4. It is a somewhat exclusive routine.
5. The gaff is unique and can be used in other effects.
6. If I wanted to sell it, it would easily sell for more than I paid (someone just bought one on ebay for $410.00 and Bob still had sets left to sell at $310.00!)
Click to visit:
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Dan,

Good to see you here, and especially good to hear another voice of reason regarding this great coin effect (U3F). You should have seen the scrap I got into a few months ago when I expressed this very same opinion. It seems that an awful lot of non-owners were not happy with my what I had to say.

Anyway, as I said, good to see you here, and PLEASE, don't bring any of your MagicTalk buddies with you... oh yeah, Smile [I always forget that part]

Regards,
Thomas Wayne
Axman
View Profile
Veteran user
332 Posts

Profile of Axman
I have a set and It is one of my prized magical possessions. I would have paid double the asking price and still been ecstatic.
Robin Parker
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta
117 Posts

Profile of Robin Parker
OK Mike, you started this thread. Tell us, did you purchase a set and how is it working for you?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » 3 Fly » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL