The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Dice Stacking Cups Questions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
I received the Jim Zachary Video for Christmas and have had a good time getting the dice to stack the past few days. I made a dice cup out of a 2.5 inch pvc pipe and lined it with duct tape. I have a couple questions about cups.

When learning, what diameter and surface of cup will help you develop the most consistent technique?

When performing, what diameter and surface of cup will be easiest to use?

Thanks,

Mike
Magic is fun!!!
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
I'd like to see a demo of dice stacking. I've heard a lot about it lately and frankly can't see the attraction. Is there anywhere that I can see someone doing this so that I can see what I'm missing?
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13417 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Rik,
Just think of it as a chop cup routine (or one cup routine) with dice but also adds the drama of "will they stack" at each phase. Here are some cool examples of some ideas...

When they stack, one die changes color and the original die ends up (you decide where) that was clearly empty before.

They almost stack but you hear them fall inside the cup. But when you lift the cup, they ARE stacked.

Jumbo Die Loads, Colorful Dice

The stack of dice is taller than the cup.

You shake up the dice, stack them, and predict which
number is on top of the stack.

It's really a one cup routine done with dice.
It's fun.

I love it.
I PM'd you.
Frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
davidmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Lubbock, TX, USA
337 Posts

Profile of davidmagic
For straight up dice stacking, get the JIm Zachary video (Jim Zee). He stacks not only 4 or 5 dice in a cup,. but 9, and 10 and 14. He can also unstack them one at a time, perfectly catching each individual die with the cup as it swings through the air. The attraction is it is noisy and when you get into the large numbers, quite impressive. I get a great reaction with a 9 or 10 dice stack. I use Jim's large cup for that, by the way. I also use his cut dice to do a quick encore where the half-dice stack end-on-end, which looks various precarious and quite difficult. While many folks have great routines that combine magic with the dice stacking, it can stand on its own as a feat of feat. (or is that "foot of juggling"?). Whether it stands on its own or not as good entertainment is most likely based on the skill level and difficulty perceived by the audience. Kinda like the difference between juggling three balls versus juggling 6 balls or 3 knives.
tony4938
View Profile
New user
Stafford, UK
94 Posts

Profile of tony4938
I watched Paul Zenon on TV over Christmas and he did a quick dice stacking effect, where he used ice cubes and a cocktail shaker, once he stacked the cubes he displayed the cocktail shaker was full with a large block of ice to match the shakers shape, if you know what I mean.

Anyway it was just different which is why it appeals to people.

Cheers
Tony
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Dice stacking is interesting and I have seen it most often done on a bar for bar magic. It is more of a juggling move than a magic move routine unless the magician puts some magic in it.

Jim Ryan did a great routine and had a thing where he loaded on the off beat. Eddie Fecter of the FFFF had a great routine but the one I remember most is the routine Don Alan did.

He had a plastic cutting board that he used to stack dice on that he carried around with him to do the effect. This way he could do it at any shows no matter what table or table covering...

If anyone likes dice magic I recomend Crandels book and Shoot the works by Ed Marlo... And also there are some great dice cheating moves on the L and L Ross Bertram video's...

I hope this helps...
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13417 Posts

Yes, it does help Bish. I've been wanting to get Marlo's "shoot the works" but keep forgetting. Thanks for the reminder.

Frank
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2743 Posts

Profile of Tom G
The first person I ever saw stack dice was Don Alan. Then years later Mike Rogers.
Mike had more of a routine than Don did (at least in the foggy memory) with a good ending. Mike's routine possessed me to buy a stacking set from him.
Tom
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
I personally consider dice stacking in and of itself to be juggling versus magic, but as others have said, magic can be added.

Del Ray had a great dice stacking routine where a lot of magic happened, including naming the number that would be showing on the top die of the stack before he lifted the cup, and making all of the dice vanish. (Del Ray's other non-stack-related work with dice was incredible as well.)

Rick Jonsson had an interesting dice stacking routine that he published in the late 70's. It involved the use of an empty Brut Deordorant container as the die stacking cup, and ended with the magician placing the four dice in the container, pushing in the bottom part that you'd normally push in to make the deodorant emerge, and turning the four dice into one jumbo die by the use of "brute" force.

Frank, don't you sell leather dice cups?

Larry D.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13417 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-12-29 18:03, Larry Davidson wrote:

Frank, don't you sell leather dice cups?

Larry D.

Oh, yeah. I almost forgot Smile
David French
View Profile
Veteran user
366 Posts

Profile of David French
I have been opening my formal close up shows with dice stacking for a while. It also will attract a crowd at a cocktail party as well. I use the six high cup that Jim Zackary sells. It is perfect. I would buy a couple from him, you never know when he will stop producing them.

David
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I'm going to get a Porper Dice Cup next week.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
David French
View Profile
Veteran user
366 Posts

Profile of David French
Hi Pete,

Just curious, other than the fine craftsmanship of the Porper line, what is the advantage to his cup? I know that Jim Z's cup is "ribbed" inside which helps to line up the stack when doing five or six high. My expereince is that if you are doing only a four high stack, the interior is not as much an issue.

thanks,

David
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I don't know. I have never used a ribbed cup. I just know Joe only has a coupld left, I like the "look" and he may not make any more for a looooooooooong time.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
I think the Zack cup is too heavy for me. I have a nice lightweight leather cup that Sir Pete gave me years ago to get started stacking and it's wonderful. Small and holds four .75 perfectly with a 1.25 final. I need to get one of Frank's leather cups.

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
The cup and dice from a regular Yahtzee game work well for stacking.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Mota,
That's what I'm currently using for practice. My Yahtzee cup is a awful blue plastic so I can't imagine being seen in public with it. I now have Frank Starsini's gorgeous black/red leather dice cup but am having trouble transitioning from a slick interior to the more "grippy" leather one. If anyone has any tips I'd love to hear them.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2004-12-29 12:26, what wrote: I made a dice cup out of a 2.5 inch pvc pipe and lined it with duct tape.

Now that's a cool idea and one that Amazing Johnathan would like for sure but why the duct tape lining???

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
NickJegor
View Profile
Elite user
Lithuania
466 Posts

Profile of NickJegor
You could find some Dice staking cups in Magic Shops.
They are not so expensive
Nikolajus Jegorovas
Kaunas, Lithuania
Web: http://www.nicholaskin.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13417 Posts

Dave, you might want to just try swinging with a little more (or a little less) velocity and see if that changes anything.

Probably something subtle will do the trick. And once you get it,
throw that plastic cup away and never go back.

Don't even play Yahtzee anymore. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Dice Stacking Cups Questions (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL