The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Thimble Magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steve Landavazo
View Profile
Special user
Northern California
654 Posts

Profile of Steve Landavazo
I’d like to know if any of you know what book is considered to be the, "definitive" work on thimble magic? I’ve often thought about learning but haven’t taken the plunge?

Thank You!

Sincerely, Steve Smile
Courage is the willingness to be afraid and act anyway!
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
4745 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
I believe the book "Digital Effects" has just about everything you would ever want to know regarding the demanding art of thimbles.

Smile

I’m pretty sure L&L pub. carries it.

Life is not a problem to be solved...

but a mystery to be lived.
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
John Zander
View Profile
Loyal user
Downey, CA
247 Posts

Profile of John Zander
Hi Steve,

For a real amazing thimble routine check out Mike Caveney’s book "MagiComedy" It is out of print, but the last time I was at Mike’s house he found a case in the garage, so you can still order one through him at

http://www.mcmagicwords.com

The routine is really something. A whole act by itself. Plus it is a "must have" book.

Wobbly guy for no reason Smile

Thank you,

John Zander

The Award Winning

Comedy Magic of

John Zander

http://www.ZanderMagic.com

http://www.AllMagic.net

Thank you,

John Zander

The Award Winning

Comedy Magic of

John Zander

http://www.ZanderMagic.com

http://www.AllMagic.net
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
You can get the Berland thimble act on Ebay, they have it for auction every week (Mondo magic). A very nice all wooden set with holders and a nice routine with a production of a full shot glass.

It’s usually less than $20.00, I had one that Mr. Brooks talked me out of Smile

That would be a fairly cheap way to start.

Smile
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
4745 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Hey buddy, I just needed a set to mess around with until I get a good "Fakini" set.

Smile

"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
atkinsod
View Profile
Regular user
VA
174 Posts

Profile of atkinsod
Joe Mogar's Digital Effects is probably the most extensive and it is well written. Joe also sells nice plastic thimbles for about $15 or $20 a set.

If you want to start cheaper, there are a few smaller books for under $10:

Enochs, Lloyd: Master Manipulation of Thimbles

Hugard, Jean: Thimble Magic

Stern, Duke: Latest Thimble Magic

Wiersbe, Warren: Tantalizing Thimbles

Doug A.
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1876 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
There is only one place (actually two) where you will find the most direct thimble routine. Dai Vernon Book of Magic, and John Carney's video, Up Close and Far Away.

You will not find a more direct, magical, and portable routine anywhere else. Smile
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5348 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
When I started in magic, more years ago than I care to remember, I bought a Berland Thimble act. I used it, with some slight modifications to the presentation, for years. I still have my original set and have two back-up sets all sold to me by Sam Berland before he passed away. I still practice this routine and do perform it from time to time (just to keep my hand in, so to speak).

I have also played with the nesting type of thimbles. Pat Page turned me on to them in the mid 70’s. I never actually put them into an act. They were something I would “play with” at a club or friends house. They are a great concept and I have seen a couple of magicians do great routines with them.
I just haven’t given them the time needed to build a routine that I would include in an act.

I also bought a set of the Fakini “Ultra Thimbles” from Denny (Denny & Lee), a few years ago, when I was buying a second set of Fakini balls (actually second set of Fakini golf balls and a second set of Fakini regular multiplying balls). Frankly, I don’t like the Fakini thimbles very much. They are fairly easy to manipulate but are much too large for my hands. With three stacked across my palm (a move I use) the top and bottom stick out. With four stacked! Don’t ask. So I have a set that I play with but have never performed with (four white thimbles, one sort of day-glow red and a jumbo white). I may end up selling them. Again it is not the thimbles that are poor (they are great!). It is me and how I handle them. I have not given them the attention they deserve.

The thimble routine that I am performing regularly, right now, does NOT even use thimbles! It uses a plastic gimmick made to look like a colorful band-aid. The concept and routine belongs to Skip Daniels.
He markets it as “Skip’s Big Boo Boo”.
I think it can be had from Hank Lee. All the moves and sleights are thimble moves and sleights! It is a classic thimble act with the final appearance of band-aids on all fingers! Believe it or not, I use it in my stand-up act for adults. I think that it plays better than a thimble act would in the venue’s I tend to work.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
JaymesR
View Profile
New user
Minnesota
53 Posts

Profile of JaymesR
I don't know about "definative" but "Now you see it, now you don’t" has a pretty good section on the basics
craig fothers
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of craig fothers
What can you do with thimbles?? Apart from a very very small 'thimbles and balls' routine?? Smile
Megatherion
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of Megatherion
Hi,

Supreme had a good teach in book on nesting thimbles.

J. McBride has some nice moves on his manipulation tapes.

The illustrated book of close up magic might be suitable.

Tarbell vol 4

Routined manipulation part 1 and 2 has a good stage routine.

The Leipzig book has a direct and simple stage routine.

Yours faithfully

Smile Dan Smile
Hal Weaver
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Hal Weaver
Quote:
On 2001-10-06 01:03, Steve Brooks wrote:
Hey buddy, I just needed a set to mess around with until I get a good "Fakini" set.

Smile

Although I haven't worked with thimbles in many years, I began with several I bought at a dime store (do they still have those?). Today I would go to a fabric or sewing store and get a few, and practice productions, vanishes, color changes, etc. to see how they work.

Hal

M.P.D.
View Profile
New user
illinois
54 Posts

Profile of M.P.D.
Most people don't see a reason to put thimbles in their act. It is not as natural a prop as most other props in a show; however, I've used an act for the comedy club gigs. I don't do it a lot, but I see no reason that I shouldn't since, there are not a lot of other magicians doing it. I also have some good jokes for thimbles if I do want to do it. I like thimbles... why not.
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4380 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Quote:
On 2002-01-23 20:19, craig fothers wrote:
What can you do with thimbles?? Apart from a very very small 'thimbles and balls' routine??

What!? You never heard of "thimble-rigging"?

:devilish:
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Hal Weaver
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Hal Weaver
[quote]On 2002-03-19 14:34, M.P.D. wrote:

"Most people don't see a reason to put thimbles in their act. It is not as natural a prop as most other props in a show..."

If this is true-- and I'm not sure it is -- that very fact might create an interest not found in card tricks. No one is going to say, "Oh, no. Not another thimble trick"?

It shouldn't take much work to come up with a reason for having a thimble on your finger. Or no reason.The appearance of a thimble on the magician's finger could be a surprise to him -- as cards and cigarettes kept appearing and dumfounding Cardini.

Magician tries to take thimble off and it appears on another finger. It disappears and appears again, changes color, multiplies, etc. Dumbfounded frustration.

If you get a chance, you should watch Johnny Ace Palmer's closeup act. If I remember correctly, he opened with some thimble moves.

Hal
MatthewBlackwell
View Profile
Regular user
England
140 Posts

Profile of MatthewBlackwell
I was fortunate in 1999 to see the award-winning act of Roy Davenport as part of an end-of-the-pier show. He included thimbles in his act. It highlighted for me the number one problem with thimble magic – you can’t see the blighters. As a performer of this he’s obviously become aware of this - before starting the routine a lady in a spangly dress walks across the stage carrying a large sign bearing the advice ‘WATCH THE THIMBLES’.

Hmm…

Cheers,

Matthew Blackwell

…and anyway… where’s the *excitement* in thimbles?
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
Hey, when you're about to shove a really sharp needle through thick burlap; finding a thimble is pretty exciting. Smile

Sable
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
johnpert
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
322 Posts

Profile of johnpert
Nimble Thimbles is available from most magic dealers and good for starters. Comes with thimbles (dif. colours, nested, and regular) A booklet is included with moves and routines.

Don't forget about Tarbell, ofcourse.

cheers,

john
Stephen Barney
View Profile
Regular user
UK
130 Posts

Profile of Stephen Barney
Steve Get those Fakini ones they are great,

Just one tip I have found both with the thimbles and the billiard balls, they seem to gather the grease from your hands and become very slippery if you wash them in washing up liquid then very very thouroughly rinse off with very cold water they go back to being sticky again

Cheers

Stephen
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Thimble Magic? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL