The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Coffee cannisters? What to do? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sean
View Profile
Regular user
No Cal
186 Posts

Profile of Sean
I have a small collection of coffee cannisters from Trader Joes in large and small sizes. I've been saving them because I figured they could be used to make a good magic trick. The question now is, what to do with them? I figure I could use one for a Square Circle, but I'd love to get some other ideas. Sources for the effects would be appreciated also. I have Mark Wilson, Tarbells, Amateur Magician's Handbook, and a few other sources. I don't want to go searching for some obscure and/or expensive reference.

Thanks in advance for help and suggestions.
Magic Monkichi
View Profile
Elite user
Ontario, Canada
401 Posts

Profile of Magic Monkichi
Sean,

There's an effect I beleive it's called the "Treasures of Leong Fu". Also known as the Organ Pipes I believe...which involves and transfering of the load. If you'd like more info please PM me.

Magically yours,

Matt Kielbiski
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
How about a "Nest of Boxes" effect? David Ginn had a really nice version of this on one of his tapes (and no doubt in one of his books) that used ungimmicked nesting cannisters.
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Hiya, Sean:

I didn't know TJ's was up north...when I was in the Monterey area a while back, Nob Hill was the yuppie grocery store!

Anyway, the import Ghost Tube is around the size of a coffee cannister -- how about swiping the label off one of the genuine cans, and sticking it to the Ghost Tube, working it into the Organ Pipe routine as mentioned [it's in Tarbell]?

Or, with some tin snips and a bit of epoxy or silicone, why not turn the cannister into a Foo Can? Add a TT sugar vanish, a Milk Pitcher...say, I've got a little tinkering of my own to do, come to think of it!

Leland
NFox
View Profile
Inner circle
I Do Mentalism Now?!
1101 Posts

Profile of NFox
Make a "Lota Can" that produces coffee.

Nick Fox
"Obscuring Reality"- Gone but not forgotten...

FoxIllusions.com
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2475 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I use number 10 cans and make them black (paint or velvet) to use in square circle or other appear/disappear effects
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20510 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Make a large Chen Lee water suspension but make it a container with gold fish!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com http://www.magicbysander.com/
Sean
View Profile
Regular user
No Cal
186 Posts

Profile of Sean
Thanks for the suggestions. Right now, I'm making a square circle with one of the cannisters as the circle. The square will be stained wood. If I can manage all that without cutting off a finger, I'm moving on to some suggestions here and the production box in Mark Wilson's book.
jnrussell
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
206 Posts

Profile of jnrussell
I found two coffee cans (one regular, one decaf) at Kroger that actually nest perfectly!
John Russell
Mastering Magician
www.TheMasterMagician.net
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Coffee cannisters? What to do? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL