The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Copperfield's Greatest Illusion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
I love both of them. The car got a standing ovation for over 5 mins. What a strong effect. People where crying in the audience. I must live in a werid town. But hey that is what magi should do is hit the heart. It was a great show.

Michael
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14063 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2005-01-17 12:52, reasons14 wrote:
His lottery routine is amazing. Anyone like his laser illusion??

The laser illusion blew me out of the water. Especially the part where his torso floats away from his body with no visible attachment. That knocked me for a loop.

Quote:
On 2005-01-17 13:35, The Mirror Image wrote:
I love both of them. The car got a standing ovation for over 5 mins. What a strong effect. People where crying in the audience. I must live in a werid town. But hey that is what magi should do is hit the heart. It was a great show.

Michael

Are you serious? He actually brought people to tears?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
Yes I am serious. I was wowed by that. That was true magic.

Michael
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6724 Posts

Profile of Dougini
It's true! I know two people who were with me backstage wiping tears from our eyes during one of his Flying routines...it was that beautiful! Believe me, if you've ever seen him perform LIVE, the experience IS moving! He has a way with people onstage. To describe it would do it injustice. Another one that moved us close to tears, was the Fan...to see that done from backstage (the audience would NEVER see this) is to appreciate the talent that the rest of his crew posseses. People who are never seen or suspected. Yet the value they are to the show. They get my applause and admiration, as well as DC!

Doug
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Portal is a favorite of mine. The story line is emotional , the staging superb and there is so much interaction with the audience. My favorite straight illusion is walking through a mirror. The method may be familiar with magicians but the audience response is great.

Just a quick note on the Orson Wells trick, which I loved seeing it in person. There is a gentleman whose name escapes me that does a fantastic impression of Orson Wells and could easily put in David's name (not the original in the film clip) and make it sound genuine.

Those of you cartoon buffs may remember this actors voice from Pinky and the Brain.

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Stephen Thompson
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of Stephen Thompson
Hi

I saw Copperfield many years ago and to my surprise got totally swept up in the experience. To this day, I can't really remember any of the illusions but rather I remember the greater effect, the overall illusion.

I recall the entire experience. I think much the same could be said about his career. In most laypeople's eyes he is a master illusionist (shall we say) but this is not on that back of one particular effect. It has more to do with the longevity of his fame, his marketing, how he has appeared only on the most highly rated TV programs and so on. What impresses us most is not the content but the context that he creates and I feel this is his greatest illusion.

Steve.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14063 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2005-01-23 18:55, Dougini wrote:
It's true! I know two people who were with me backstage wiping tears from our eyes during one of his Flying routines...it was that beautiful! Believe me, if you've ever seen him perform LIVE, the experience IS moving! He has a way with people onstage. To describe it would do it injustice. Another one that moved us close to tears, was the Fan...to see that done from backstage (the audience would NEVER see this) is to appreciate the talent that the rest of his crew posseses. People who are never seen or suspected. Yet the value they are to the show. They get my applause and admiration, as well as DC!

Doug

I did see the flying illusion live. It was extremely beautiful, although I don't now remember if my eyes were wet.

What impressed me the most about the show, believe it or not, was something simple. At the start of the show, or actually when everyone was still finding their seats he had smoke or mist crawling across the stage in a very mysterious manner, and I smelled incense throughout the theatre! It was very magical to me the way he established this magical atmosphere before the show even started. very nice touch, and very professional.

I forget much of the show, but believe it or not, that one simple part, which was not really a part of the show itself, but was rather a first impression type of thing still sticks in my mind's eye!

Go figure.

What do you have to comment on that part, Dougini?

Quote:
On 2005-01-28 10:00, Stephen Thompson wrote:
Hi

I saw Copperfield many years ago and to my surprise got totally swept up in the experience. To this day, I can't really remember any of the illusions but rather I remember the greater effect, the overall illusion.

I recall the entire experience. I think much the same could be said about his career. In most laypeople's eyes he is a master illusionist (shall we say) but this is not on that back of one particular effect. It has more to do with the longevity of his fame, his marketing, how he has appeared only on the most highly rated TV programs and so on. What impresses us most is not the content but the context that he creates and I feel this is his greatest illusion.

Steve.

would you agree that he is indeed a master marketer? (Even more so than a master magician.)
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6724 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2005-01-30 12:32, daffydoug wrote:
At the start of the show, or actually when everyone was still finding their seats he had smoke or mist crawling across the stage in a very mysterious manner, and I smelled incense throughout the theatre! It was very magical to me the way he established this magical atmosphere before the show even started. very nice touch, and very professional...>snip<...What do you have to comment on that part, Dougini?

Yes, I'd forgotten that. I was probably prepping for my part backstage at that point. Most likely, it was last minute instructions from JayStan (remember him?). I think that establishing a mystique, or implied atmosphere, is essential in creating the effect you want to have on an audience. I do remember the fog effect all through the show...the "incense smell" you describe is in the liquid fog solution, and is very pleasant, if I remember correctly...it's been a while...

Best,

Doug
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14063 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Who is JayStan?
Damien Steel
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Damien Steel
For me his best was Flying. It is simply perfect. Do you know how many times he trained to do it?
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14063 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Probably a million!
Damien Steel
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Damien Steel
Are there some famous name under his flying?
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14063 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Could you possibly rephrase that question?
Roberto Gee
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of Roberto Gee
"Flying."

For me, anyway, it's the most perfectly realized illusion of the 20th Century.

And, yeah, I get a lump in my throat and wipe away tears every time I've seen it -- live or on TV.

Maybe it's not as "spectacular" as some of his other illusions ("Disappearing Statue of Liberty"), but "Flying" has an emotional core unlike anything I've seen before or since.

All, or most, of us have flown in dreams. When DC sits on the lip of the stage and talks about that boyhood dream, then stands and silently rises and begins to soar...my God!

We can joke all we like about DC's personal life, his "marketing" vs. "magician" skills, etc., etc.

But, to me, however you slice it, "Flying" is the single most perfectly developed, emotionally rewarding illusion ever performed.

Ever.

The pinnacle of "magic."

Seeing it is a privilege.
MCM
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
456 Posts

Profile of MCM
How about the illusion he did on Catherine Bach many years ago? I know it is not new (did he ever show it on his tours?), but it did inspire some of us to magic (of course it could have been the assistant in this case).
Brian M.
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of Brian M.
[/quote]

Well,, the end result was tremendous. What really threw me was the fact that Orson kept referring to David by name! And he was asking about the CARD specifically. What old Orson movie WAS that that had all these elements in it?
[/quote]

I seem to recall reading a review or write-up after the show aired (possibly by Gary Oulette in MAGIC) and it mentioning that Orson staged that skit for DAVID Bamberg.

My memory's a bit sketchy on this second part, but I believe the footage came into DC's possession from an auction lot that he bid on. It was in with a number of other items.

Brian
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I have to go with his Flying Illusion. Second to none.
Daniel Faith
Damien Steel
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Damien Steel
Good trip..
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6724 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2005-02-01 19:18, daffydoug wrote:
Who is JayStan?

Those of you who follow Copperfield closely:

What happened to JayStan, his stage director? I don't see his name associated with DC any more. He WAS rather bad-tempered, and was instrumental in my "removal", after catching me doing tricks with a quarter to my fellow stagehands...no hard feelings, tho'...he was in the right, so to speak.

He reminded me of a drill sergeant. He had a VERY forceful way of making a point. Backstage, when he introduced himself to us "prop" people ("My name is JayStan...not Jay...not Stan...JayStan...if any of you call me Jay or Stan, I'll know you weren't listening, and if there is one thing I can't stand, it's people who DO NOT LISTEN!!")...I found that amusing...not a bad guy, mind you, just VERY forceful, and DC was quoted as saying that he did his job well...

Any input as to who runs the show now?

Doug
IllusionJack
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of IllusionJack
Hi Doug-

When I was on the tour recently, in 2002, the stage managers were O. Todd Moore (deck) and Ben Butner (PSM). Both of them were really very cool, always great to me, the lowly production assistant/merch guy. Rene Nadaeu was also an important guy - he did all the video and effects stuff and has been with DC more than 10 years. I heard mention of JayStan but I do not recall what they said he was doing now, or why he had gone.

Unfortunately, I heard DC staff say on more than one occasion they make a policy to not hire magicians. Which explains why your coin magic was your downfall, and my interest in magic is probably a big part of why I didn't stay with that tour also. Too bad, because it really was a lot of fun.

--Jack Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Copperfield's Greatest Illusion (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL