The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Copperfield's Greatest Illusion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
oakenfold
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of oakenfold
Dougini,
How long were you on tour with Copperfield? What was your job? It must have been a great experience. Do you remember a guy named "Fish" he was an assistant? I can remeber saying hi to him at a store 24 in Boston when they were in town because I recognized him from the previous year and he was very freaked out!
joespc
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of joespc
My favorite is the laser illusion where he is cut in half. To see him lift his torso from his legs and then walk around was awesome.
SteveReel
View Profile
New user
Leesburg, FL
76 Posts

Profile of SteveReel
I guess I'm partial to levitations but I like both Flying and DCs Don Wayne Floating ball from one of his really early TV specials.
World music and magic
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14057 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2005-02-04 21:09, joespc wrote:
My favorite is the laser illusion where he is cut in half. To see him lift his torso from his legs and then walk around was awesome.

The part that blew me away is when his torso started floating away from his lower body. that was the most awesome thing I have ever seen. It just blew me away.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
pbg739
View Profile
Veteran user
San Jose, Ca
340 Posts

Profile of pbg739
From the orient express special. He did the head mover. I had seen it live, and it is just awesome.
magicaldj1
View Profile
Regular user
Madison, Wisconsin
122 Posts

Profile of magicaldj1
My favorite Copperfield illusions are flying (saw it on T.V. and live) and the one with the singing ties (always cracks me up) that he did on the imploding building special. I also liked the self levitation he did on that special as well.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1670 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Davids early illusions & show are what made him-

My Favourites-

-Vanishing Airplane- that had the world talking!!

-Orient Express-also very impressive at the time!

-Vanishing motorcycle after he rides up on it !!!!!

-Mini Playlets like- The Jewel Thief inside of store-Dances with Live Mannequin then turns into cardboard figures at end etc to great choreography & music
Ilan
View Profile
Regular user
South Africa
193 Posts

Profile of Ilan
I really enjoyed the "snow storm" trick that was used to end David's Broadway show, and Grand Father's Ace trick. Both have so much class and really theatrical.
If you can't laugh at yourself, you are obviously not getting the joke
Mr NZ Magican
View Profile
New user
New Zealand
50 Posts

Profile of Mr NZ Magican
SteveReel wrote

"I guess I'm partial to levitations but I like both Flying and DCs Don Wayne Floating ball from one of his really early TV specials."

I would have to agree with you I loved both of these.
What is at the beginning of eternity, the end of time and the start of every ending?
SeanJohn
View Profile
New user
Finland
52 Posts

Profile of SeanJohn
My favorite is Flying. Also his latest illusions like Portal and Lotto Prediction etc. But when I start to think of his illusions I realize it's too hard to pick just few of them Smile
WesRay
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of WesRay
Quote:
On 2005-02-04 21:09, joespc wrote:

See, when I watched Tornado of Fire and saw this illusion, I was extremely bummed because it looked to me like a very obvious and bad CGI effect (much like the "ghosts flying over the crowd" during the Barclay House illusion).

I dunno. Maybe I need to watch this one again.

Now, my overall favorite...Either Cocoon or Death Saw.
Jack Murray
View Profile
Special user
St. Petersburg Fl.
773 Posts

Profile of Jack Murray
WesRay, the ghosts were "real" not CGI. I've seen it live!

Jack
WesRay
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of WesRay
Quote:
On 2005-02-14 14:41, Jack Murray wrote:
WesRay, the ghosts were "real" not CGI. I've seen it live!

Jack

See, on the TV special, he had a few ghosts fly from the top of the Barclay House, as if by wire...those definitely looked like cloth. 100% real, I admit. The ones that looked like they were CGI were the ones shown in the cut-away shots of the audience reacting to the ghosts above them. Looked way too staged, and you could see the audience members through the "ghosts".

Some are definitely real, but I contend that he used CGI for the remainder of those ghost shots. I hope to be proven wrong, though (as I don't like the idea of Copperfield resorting to cheap Hollywood FX in order to accomplish illusions). Smile
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6718 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2005-02-04 14:06, IllusionJack wrote:
...Rene Nadaeu was also an important guy - he did all the video and effects stuff and has been with DC more than 10 years...

Yes! Rene was a VERY good guy to work with. He was partly responsible for the "behind the scenes" work for "The Fan" illusion (if you remember), along with a few other goodies I care not mention here. Great you mentioned that, Jack!

"Fish" does not ring a bell with me...it's been awhile...I worked the show in "Props", building up the illusions after they come off the truck. Also helping with large rigging (when Flying was included in the show), in "tech" we tested the illusions and I helped a bit with "lighting tech" for Flying...plus, I was instrumental in the Load-outs, as DC is VERY precise in his truckloads.

Again, sadly, I miss it. 3 years in a row (each yearly appearance the crew called me at home to let me know when to show up). Makes me sick to think I blew it with a coin trick.

Doug
IllusionJack
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of IllusionJack
So Doug, you think that if DC came to Ft. Myers again, they wouldn't let you be included in the work call? Because of that coin trick incident?

--Jack Smile
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6718 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Abso-FREAKIN'-lutely!

They'd send me out the door so fast, it'd be like a DC illusion of its OWN! LOL!

Doug
IllusionJack
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of IllusionJack
Haha, well how do you know they'd remember you? After all, J Stan is gone and it's an all new crew now... and don't you think you'd just blend in with the other locals? that's really unfortunate. I got the same idea when I was there that they were not to keen on my having done my own small magic show in the past and stuff. There was a time or two that I would stop off to have a look at the illusion set pieces close up. That didn't go over too well either. Like I'm really there to steal the secrets! NOT! But, it's a valid concern, I suppose.

--Jack Smile
momentsofmagic
View Profile
New user
Ontario - Canada
4 Posts

Profile of momentsofmagic
My favourite Copperfield routines include THE BLADE, THE EDGE and a routine that they did with a little boy (going back many years). The routine kinda reminds me of Hippity Hop Rabbits, there were two boxes about 4 feet apart seperated by a curtain, Webster was placed in a box and the child was distracted as Webster would move box to box. The audience saw that someone was HELPING Webster along and eventually that person shows themselves as they have to unlock one of the boxes to get Webster inside, eventually Webster disappears along with the person who was helping him! Very funny routine!

Cheers AL
"Why just perform tricks when you can create Moments Of Magic!" - Alan Moments Of Magic Inc. www.momentsofmagic.com
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1042 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
For me it has got to be flying. The laser illusion freaks me out, such a shame Fearson decided to sell the rights to DC nad not sell them to the magic fratenity.
Nick
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14057 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2005-02-15 22:11, momentsofmagic wrote:
My favourite Copperfield routines include THE BLADE, THE EDGE and a routine that they did with a little boy (going back many years). The routine kinda reminds me of Hippity Hop Rabbits, there were two boxes about 4 feet apart seperated by a curtain, Webster was placed in a box and the child was distracted as Webster would move box to box. The audience saw that someone was HELPING Webster along and eventually that person shows themselves as they have to unlock one of the boxes to get Webster inside, eventually Webster disappears along with the person who was helping him! Very funny routine!

Cheers AL

That was a hilarious illusion. The kid's name was Dave, as I recall! I still have it on tape somewhere. I'm not positive, but it may have been the Angie Dickinson special, but don't quote me on that.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Copperfield's Greatest Illusion (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL