We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Copperfield's Greatest Illusion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Looking back on David and his career, and thinking about the astonishing variety of illusions, is there one that stands out in your mind as the best?

To tell you the truth, myself, I always got the biggest charge out of his Orson Well's illusion. Don't have any idea how he did it (brought Orson back and had him interact with the audience) but I'll tell you one thing: that illusion had class! I just SO enjoyed it. And the person who impersonated Orson was PERFECT. (If indeed it WAS an impersonator!) I think this will go down as one of my all time favorites.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Jack Murray
View Profile
Special user
St. Petersburg Fl.
773 Posts

Profile of Jack Murray
That WAS indeed Orson Wells!!! It was a clip from an old movie and some clever editing. The methodology itself was VERY simple....David just wrote his "script" to match the film clip, and forced the choosen card.

Jack
reedrc
View Profile
Inner circle
1348 Posts

Profile of reedrc
I heard Orson's family was [upset] about it and tried to sue or something...
Kind Regards

Ryan C. Reed
Founder, Illusion Entertainment

designer, director, theatrical consultant, digital wizard, magic impresario, wonder aficionado, Illusioneer & dream architect.

Instagram
Facebook
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2004-12-30 21:15, Jack Murray wrote:
That WAS indeed Orson Wells!!! It was a clip from an old movie and some clever editing. The methodology itself was VERY simple....David just wrote his "script" to match the film clip, and forced the choosen card.

Jack

Well,, the end result was tremendous. What really threw me was the fact that Orson kept referring to David by name! And he was asking about the CARD specifically. What old Orson movie WAS that that had all these elements in it?

Quote:
On 2004-12-31 02:44, reedrc wrote:
I herd Orson damily was p I s s e d about it and tried to sue or something...

That's a trip! Is that true? Did you hear how it turned out?
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1153 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
I don't know enough on the story to say what the final outcome was, but wanted to clear up part of it in all fairness to David (as I understand the events).

David believed that he did everything above board. Apparently, Orson created the old movie clip in the early 40's for Richard Himber. David paid a good sum of money to obtain the movie clip and credits Richard Himber in the credits of that show. So David paid for it and properly credited it.

(As I understand, David did edit him saying his name, but that was minor).

At some point, Welle's family felt that they controlled his estate and did not believe David was right to obtain it without their consent. I don't know who actually had the rights to sell it, but David truly felt he pursued it the proper way. After Welle's family voiced thier displeasure, it was removed from the show. (Although, it had probably served it's rotation in the show anyway.)

Great bit nonetheless.

For the record....I have had the opportunity to see every one of his illusions live over the past 15 years, with the exception of the Big Black Box. It was not in the touring show for too long. As far, as sheer drama, WOW factor, and storyline (and the age old question magicians always ask one another...if you could obtain the rights to one trick of Copperfields, which would it be) I would say his current routine Lottery. But I want the original storyline he was using before the Lincoln Convertible. Back when it he was using a Studebaker Commander. That story had more meaning for me for various reasons.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I'm not familiar with his lottery routine. Could you elaborate?
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1791 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
I think "Death Saw" has to be right up there as one of the greatest of all illusions, not just of David's.

You may not agree as you look back on it many years later, but when you saw it for the first time it was a real killer (pun intended).

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
TOTALLY MAGIC
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas,NV
436 Posts

Profile of TOTALLY MAGIC
Im not saying its the best but I did like the berkly house illusion I really liked when the ghost went out into the crowd.Kyle
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Several ghosts. How the *** did he do that? Had to be a video edit. Blew me away, though!
dsilverfield
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of dsilverfield
No video eidts on that one. I hear Sean Bogunia is working on similar lines.
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1829 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Similar lines?...no pun intended I assume...LOL

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
Farrell
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of Farrell
The fan and the blade both effing rock
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
It goes back a few years, but I think the Orient Express vanish was great (even though it's TV only).
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I have most of the specials on tape, and Orient Express was fabulous. I loved the card effect he performed in the dining car for Jayne whats her name. (The first part, where the cards ended up "back in the box".) Close to one that Michael Ammar taught on his easy to master tapes, but I believe an entirely different method.
Magicjess76
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Magicjess76
The Orient Express was definitely one of his Best! Flying was perhaps the most mystifying of his illusions. The Graffiti Wall was also very good! (I laugh every time I watch it!) I have to say though that I miss when DC used story lines to present his magic.
~Jessica
isaacfawlkes
View Profile
Loyal user
FL
249 Posts

Profile of isaacfawlkes
In my opinion His best was Flying. I have seen it on TV and live. It was even more impressive live. To me it was real magic.
WayneNZ
View Profile
Special user
New Zealand
962 Posts

Profile of WayneNZ
"cocoon " was very very cool.
Sure beats the heck out of a standard
sub truck.
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
Well the staging for that was out of the world....plus the presentation was amazing....again anouther wounderful Illusion..

One of my favorite and I love to watch over and over is the buzz saw and lottery when the car appears...Now that was pure magic...when you get a 5 min standing ovation from that then it is a hell of a illusion...

Michael
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
Does anyone remember the routine where he reproduces all of the kids for the old nanny? To me that was DC's low point.
Dr.Maya Baalaamurugaan
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of Dr.Maya Baalaamurugaan
What you mean by low point rtgreen???????????
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Copperfield's Greatest Illusion (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL