The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Hospitality (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Maybe you could approach Dave with your styling and he could do it up for you.
Not sure though how many folks actually know what a tea cart looks like!

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2225 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Does anyone here perform it in their shows regularly? I built one and I find that you must have the luxury of time to prepare it before every show. It is easier to perform than to prepare it. Indeed, it does bring good audience response.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Hey Lou,

I have a friend who loves the effect and uses it regulerly. But as you say I enjoy watching him go through the preparation. It is like that with all liquid effects I find. Fuss, and sometimes mess, and they take time.

Not sure if there is any way to cut the set-up time.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2225 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
The main problem is that the real drinks offered to the audience have to be served "chilled" and not just room temperature. That's why it has to be set up a few minutes before it is presented. Also consider the fact that you have to carry along about 8 different kinds of beverage aside from the five prepared food colors.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of John Martin
True, it does require some time to set up, but the payoff is worth it. Having performed it dozens of times, I would mate it takes about ten minutes to set. How long does it take to fold silks, load flowers, harness doves etc.?
As for the drinks being served cold, that's the last thing to load (the real drinks) and really that only takes a minute. I would suggest setting this one as close to the beginning of the show as possible.
Finally, it looks nothing like a tea cart. A tea cart is something found in your grandmother's house. This looks like a modern portable bar (whatever that looks like). As a matter of fact, once it's all set it hardly looks like a road case (ATA) as suggested. But as with everything if you don't like the look of the Charvet version build your own. I have nothing but praise for the version I purchased from David.
And to Cris....excellent idea with the concentrate. I had long ago stopped using the powder and had switched to a tablespoon of lemon juice and a tablespoon of sugar...I think I'll try your idea.

All the best,

John

Incredible Illusions from 1980 to the present!!
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1360 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
I'm building it right now... my plan is to make just the top, and then buy a a tv cart to set it on
andrepolivic
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of andrepolivic
I really like the one Lance Burton uses. I was there when he was filming his TV show.

It is a very well-made prop. Was the one I saw made by David Charvet?

-AP
bry1513
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of bry1513
I would also like to know if the one that Charvet makes looks the same as the one Burton used in his T.V. special. I looked on their site and there is no photo. I have emailed them twice about a description or photo, but never got a response of any kind. I see that the one Tilford sells has a photo and does look like the one Lance used. Just curious if the Charvet model is the same.

Take care, Bry
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1360 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
Looking at the photo of the one on the Tilford webite and the blueprint from Steinmeyer's manuscript, it seems like the glasses are sitting rather low in the openings.. (with a 4 inch glass, over 50% is not visible) Won't the audience find this suspicous? Or is this my misinterpretation.... How visible should the glasses be during the performance?

By the way, which of the Lance Burton TV specials did he feature this act?
parsimagic
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of parsimagic
I have to admit when I saw Lance Burton perform the effect I also noticed that the glasses sat very low in the opening. Without knowing how the effect is done, I think a lay person would be very suspicious of having almost half the glass covered.
andrepolivic
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of andrepolivic
It was on Lance Burton Top Secret, the one when he did the roller coaster escape.
magicmanrob
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of magicmanrob
As we have performed this effect a lot I can assure you that the only way the audience would have any thoughts on the glass being only half-visible would be if you weren't performing it well. We have never had anyone yet claim the secret was in the glasses. We had one spectator claim the way we did was that we had special tubes that ran up our sleeves to different drinks that poured out via the tubes. This comment was made after a performance where we wore short sleeve shirts. Go figure. If all the misdirection is as per the routine from Steinmeyer's book you won't need to be concerned, they will never know.
Crispy
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
207 Posts

Profile of Crispy
Hey guys, I haven't been on here in awhile and am surprised this topic still going. I guess I'll add some of my tips about performing. I'll try and be as ambiguous as possible to avoid giving things away to those that don't already know the workings.

1)Yes, there is some setup involved. As someone said, the drinks that are served must be chilled. I prepare the "first" set of glasses before the show. Following my opening livestock act, I do the torn and restored newspaper. It is during this time that my assistant prepares my "second" set of glases.

2)I use the fake ice cubes in the "first" set of glasses and of course have matching ice cubes in the "second" set of glasses. I tilt the glasses slightly forward and pour with the carton in the front of the glass rather than from the side. I think all of this (especially the ice cubes) helps conceal what is happening so the liquid doesn't magically become the beverage only when it is hitting the bottom of the glass.

3) I have my assistant do "the move" while I am pouring the last drink as distraction. With the stage blocking she also does this as she is moving from stage left to stage right of the apparatus so that it logically makes sense and the empty hole is there on my left hand side for me to put the last glass in.

4) and the biggest help is what I wrote about using the concentrate (the syrup type) as a replacement for the lemonade powder in the last glass.

Lastly, I'm wondering what you guys do for replacement cartons? They are hard to find these days, especially the full-size ones.

Cris
BtheDreamer
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of BtheDreamer
I have been using Hospitality for a few years now and I have to admit that it has taken a back burner in our show because of the preparation (I say it that way because it is more then just resetting the trick you have to have purchased all the right drinks before hand as well, two of which are milk and can easily spoil on the road).

Anyhow it is a great effect and we now use it in our repeat shows (when a client has already seen our show Hospitality is one we swap in to mix things up) and it does kill.

Anyone considering this effect should heed the advice above, it is gold. Also I have never worried about the ATA style myself because like people have said before it just looks like a modern mini bar. No one ever suspects the table if done right.

Lastly we start with chocolate milk instead of white milk, for two reasons. We really like chocolate milk so it is easy to supply the cartons (we just drink the milk Smile and chocolate cartons are still easy to find. Also I find it more magical to turn a brown drink into all these different colored drinks including a clear one than to turn a white liquid into different colors (might tip the method). Anyhow the chocolate milk shows up better on stage and is fun to work with, so yeah, it works for us.

Have fun

B
DAK
View Profile
Regular user
UK
135 Posts

Profile of DAK
I'm interested in Hospitality;

My only question is with regards the carton - I'm in the UK and just wonder if I could use any type of carton? I'd prefer to use a bottle if possible.
Is it possible? And what type of carton is required?

Kindest Regards,

DAK
magicmike96
View Profile
New user
PLAINFIELD, IL
98 Posts

Profile of magicmike96
I belive you could do it with a bottle, but you couldn't tear it open at the end...MIKE
( /) what if the
(0.o) hokey pokey
(><) really IS what its all about?!
/_[_
feel free to pm me. MIKE Smile
magicmanrob
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of magicmanrob
B it sounds like you think like we do, we have been using chocolate milk for three years because of the reasons you mentioned. Magic mike in order to use a bottle there would have to be some prep to the bottle unless it wasn't clear. The ones we have would require some cover to make it non-transparent. But a killer effect none the less.
magicmike96
View Profile
New user
PLAINFIELD, IL
98 Posts

Profile of magicmike96
...i forgot about it being clear...yeah that kinda would give away the secret lol...MIKE
( /) what if the
(0.o) hokey pokey
(><) really IS what its all about?!
/_[_
feel free to pm me. MIKE Smile
WayneNZ
View Profile
Special user
New Zealand
963 Posts

Profile of WayneNZ
Looking for drink mix help,that won't stain my ice cubes.
Harry H
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of Harry H
Do a search on YouTube I posted the video to this effect.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Hospitality (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL