The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown: Messiah (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
The show should be worth watching however you feel about the content.It is moving further and further away from Derren's initial series where it was ambiguous if not vague about him being real or not. I personally thought this was Derren's finest phase. I do feel mentalism suffers from being semi exposed as being trickery. I thought that was the case in Seance when he revealed near the begining he was using "just Mediums tricks". I personally don't believe Derren's intention of educating the public I believe his intentions are are to further his carreer.

In my opinion what really is sad is the magic dealers who put adds up promising Derren like effects with links to their sites right next to the article in THE SUN tabloid on line version!

It seems like whenever there is a buck to be made selling out is the name of the game. Now in popular news papers (admitedly online version). But I predict the more high profile Derren becomes the tackier image of mentalism becomes. They will be selling little dolls of Derren for next years Xmas..

Shrink
Hypnotic Winter
View Profile
Special user
Ireland
720 Posts

Profile of Hypnotic Winter
I personally do not buy into the Iq testing standard.
I do not believe the abality to work out matimatical problems or shapes is anything to do wut intelligence as a computer can do it or even a calculator and they are not sentient, memory doesn't mean anything either as it is simply stored data, skills are nt it either as you can train a cat to acomplish tasks.
The IQ systim simply tests how much like a computer you are and we know computers cannot make rational judgements even programmed one's.
I believe in different kinds of intelligence. If we were to go by logic surely people would not drink or smoke as to do so does not make sence from a logic point of view.
As for Derren, he is a wonderful entertainer who has learned his area well,he has performed his experiments and went on to arrive and answers in that area.

The reason I take the stance on IQ is due to my personally knowing soem very smart people who are disabled in different way, from Autistic to dyslic to physical ones like diabeties which can limit one's performance abalitys.
Certain auitistics could distroy most of those rated on the IQ systim with their memorys, Dyslexics can be extremely inventive, and those with physically disabled are restricted in what they can accomplish by their own bodys. If it were not For professor stephen hawlkings speaking computer no one would know the capabality of his mind.

Sorry for the mild rant, I just always feel I should stand up for those who are often misjudged due to misunderstadnings of their condition.

H.W
When your only reality is an illusion, then illusion is reality.
Dark Thought 13
View Profile
Regular user
Washington D.C.
122 Posts

Profile of Dark Thought 13
Chill out, you people kill me, I have many friends in the UK who have expressed their confusion with DB, he doesn't do anything miraculous on a live stage, in fact a number of 'Pros' have mentioned to me that his most impossible material just so happens to be on TV.. Strange that?.. I have also read the full reviews of his stage shows and it would seem without the versatile world of being in front of the TV camera DB does exactly the same material as any other pro on stage..

So the question is..... is DB a genius? I don't think so but maybe the production company is for exploiting TV to gain a hyped reputation which cannot be replicated on stage by the very same person..

You guys do realise that when Superman flies on the screen he is actually held up with wires..
"I love the one with the plastic thumb!"
Someone who has seen a s*** magician
Hypnotic Winter
View Profile
Special user
Ireland
720 Posts

Profile of Hypnotic Winter
Dark Thought, while I understand what you say, Derrens released material is quite good and his performance pre TV, I thought was excellent also.

What ever the case, he was the one picked for TV and from what I'm told, channel four spent some time looking for some one with a bit of an edge. That's as much as I know on the matter.

H.W
When your only reality is an illusion, then illusion is reality.
Muddy
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Muddy
Just curious ... are one (or more) of the posters here actually Derren Brown or part of his crew (PR, etc)?

Honest question ... no harm or insult intended.
mike stevenson
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of mike stevenson
Quote:
On 2005-01-06 14:48, Dark Thought 13 wrote:
he doesn't do anything miraculous on a live stage, in fact a number of 'Pros' have mentioned to me that his most impossible material just so happens to be on TV.. Strange that?..

Strange? I don't think so. Wouldn't you take advantage of the television media to produce stronger effects? It would be strange not to.

Quote:
I have also read the full reviews of his stage shows and it would seem without the versatile world of being in front of the TV camera DB does exactly the same material as any other pro on stage..

If you mean "same material" as in drawing duplications, book tests, etc. then I suppose you're partly correct. Certainly the first half of his show is classic mentalism. However, he makes the effects very unique with his character. As for the second half of his show, well it's not supposed to be talked about, but I can tell you this; there were countless gasps and sounds of awe from the audience. Especially one woman shaking when leaving the stage after a certain moment. In my opinion it was very orginal.

I think it would be better for you to comment after you've seen him perform.
mr twain
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of mr twain
Quote:
Dark Thought 13 wrote:
Chill out, you people kill me - blah blah blah

You appear to be responding to posts that aren't actually there, mate. We'll call them "ghost posts" - the imagined ramblings of wandering DB sycophants that only you can see... I've heard that Clorazepam is pretty good for kerbing hallucinations.

However, to address your main point - or rather the point made by your friends - his stage show *is* different to his TV show. But stage is an entirely different medium. Beating people at rock, scissors, paper doesn't work as well on stage as it does in a "street magic" format, somehow... You'll find that his TV work isn't all that super-original either - it has the same roots as the stuff you probably do when you're entertaining the old folks at the local whist drive - but his presentation makes it worth watching. There's certainly very little on there that would appear to require too much additional "production" - a la Blaine, for example. Maybe your friends haven't read 13 Steps properly.

Quote:
You guys do realise that when Superman flies on the screen he is actually held up with wires...

Well, actually, I think you'll find that's green-screen processing.
Jordan Waller
View Profile
Special user
London
610 Posts

Profile of Jordan Waller
LOL

Yes Derrens show is vastly different from his television shows, but then again did you realy think it would be the same. I mean come one! I find it very amusing to see aas many have mentioned that so many people who realy should no better still get caught in his speil. Derren is an excellent performer, you cannot possibly deny this, and yes he does use television to his advantage, SO WHAT! In his shoes you would too. I went to his show with a small group of lay people 2 of whom had never seen him before. They were all amazed and intriqued by his show. I beleive several of them even said he was better than he was on TV. No one said 'Well it was ok, but...it wasn't realy the same as when he was on the telly was it.' The two who hadn't seen him were equally amazed and became instant fans who now watch his shows whenver aired, they too don't mention that they were disapoointied with his stage show having now seen the TV program. That is because only WE Fellow performers would notice such things We should all go back and read 13 steps on presentational skills and the aim of our performances.
One day I will write a book
munger
View Profile
Loyal user
austria
265 Posts

Profile of munger
Hi!

is there any way to get this tv-special here in austria?
there is no way to see channel 4 Smile
is channel 4 free, or pay tv.
is there a way to see the show on the net?

thx for help,

mario
DanielLove
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
265 Posts

Profile of DanielLove
If you superglue together all of your coat hangers and construct a massive arial you may have some luck...
Loz
View Profile
Special user
London
777 Posts

Profile of Loz
I'm really looking forward to the tv show this evening. Its about time someone illustrates how people can be made to believe in mumbo jumbo. I was disgusted several months ago when a program on the BBC was aired which was a documentary looking at psychics. These guys gather at huge conventions, filled with 1000 people who are recently bereaved, sick etc. They then go on to do basic mentalism effects and cold reading, getting people to break down and cry, believe in all sorts of crap, and then sell their self-help books to them. At no point in this documentary did they mention that these 'psychics' were full of it and manipulating and exploiting vulnerable people. Three cheers to Derren.
Thistoshallpass
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Thistoshallpass
Quote:

Dark Thought 13 wrote:
Was exposed as a "fake"

Is it really possible for a Magician, illusionist or a mentalist, to actually make a tank disappear, saw their body in half or read your mind? These beautiful skills are designed to entertain and amaze an audience.
Unfortunately, I am not blessed with these skills, but my love affairs with all things magical, enrich my life. Thousands of people share the same opinion.
But please, lets be honest: are you yourself, NOT IN the business of "fake".
(no offence intended)

Muddy: I imagine Derren is far too busy to be posting on a magic forum. I am just an ordinary woman who enjoys Derren's work.
I'm not a mind reader, but I get the feeling you won't believe me though.
Adam
View Profile
Regular user
UK
103 Posts

Profile of Adam
Quote:
On 2005-01-07 10:12, Thistoshallpass wrote:

I imagine Derren is far too busy to be posting on a magic forum.

Nobody's too busy to read public discussions about their own work...
justforeffect
View Profile
Regular user
Bristol, UK
153 Posts

Profile of justforeffect
Quote:
On 2005-01-07 10:23, Adam wrote:
Nobody's too busy to read public discussions about their own work...

George W. Bush? Smile
Steve Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1119 Posts

Profile of Steve Martin
Started reading the thread. Got bored. Too many magicians and mentalists repeatedly hitting each other over the head.

Derren Brown is a wonderful entertainer and a very intelligent and insightful guy. I am hugely looking forward to seeing "Messiah" tonight - it promises to be a real treat, and will perhaps make us think seriously about a number of key aspects of human behaviour.
Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking.
Albert Einstein
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Will someone PLEASE take pity on us poor Colonists here in the US and after the show give a DETAILED report...not necassarily a Review of opinion...just a report as to what went down.

Thanks from the Colonies

Doug
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Steve Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1119 Posts

Profile of Steve Martin
No - sorry, we won't do that. Not unless you convert first.
Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking.
Albert Einstein
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
My tv card is busted or I could have recorded it onto HD. Sorry!
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
Stephen Long
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of Stephen Long
Quote:
DB does exactly the same material as any other pro on stage.

The above is simply not true.
Just for the record.
Hello.
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
Will he be remembered 2000 yrs from now?Doubt it.
Andre
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown: Messiah (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL