The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Question: Morrissey Combo Cups and Balls - Poor Gaffe? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I was very close to purchasing:

Morrissey Mini Combo Cups and Balls (Copper)

Searched the Café and saw a lot of good reviews, but also a few posts about (very) poor gaffe quality, specifically, that it was very noticeable to someone seeing the inside of the cup.

Before purchasing, I wanted to get some feedback from some who own/have handled this set *about this specific issue* to make a better purchase decision.

Thanks!

Mark

I have also heard that older versions of these cups had a visible round area inside the bottom of the cup. Perhaps this is what is being referred to?
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The gaff has changed from the old cups to the new ones. They have tried to fight the Indian imports and the Argentine imports and that is very difficult to do. The gaff is visible on both the old ones and the new ones; however, I don't think anyone will know what the gaff is, unless you point it out when you show them the insides of the cups.

Mike Brazill has a new combo cup coming out that will get rid of that problem. I'll have photos on the web site soon.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Thanks, Bill.

Follow-up: are the older Morrissey cups thicker/heavier than the new ones?
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Yes, they used a heavier gauge of metal back then. The Bazar de Magia cups are similar to the old Morrissey cups. The gauge of metal is a bit thinner than the older Morrissey cups as well.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

mrj
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Canada
68 Posts

Profile of mrj
Bill Palmer is right, as usual. I have the Morrissey Mini Combo Cups and Balls (Copper) and I like them quite a bit. The gaff is visible if you know what you are looking for but it should not be picked up by a spectator.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Well, I just picked up a set of 'Vintage' Morrissey Combo Cups from Ebay - I was going to get some new ones, but made one last check on Ebay and there they were for $25.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That's a very good price. I wanted to bid on them, but I missed the ending of the auction. I'm glad they are going to someone who will use them.

If you decide you want to get rid of them, in the future, let me know.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Yes, it was a "Buy it Now" only auction.

I will be very interested to see the cups. Bill, thank you for all the great information I have learned from you in the many areas of the Café. I always enjoy reading your posts. And I love the online C/B Museum.

Of course, my favorite line of yours came from your Scarborough Faire show my wife and I always made a point to see: The handcuffs which came from the Waxahachie Police Farce!
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Yes Chessmann,

They are indeed the old style cups with the domed gaff, and provided several very good shows. I never once had an issue with the gaff and used it for a chop cup on several ocasions showing the ball in the bottom of the cup. The patina inside the cups takes the heat off either style of gaff.They were my third set, and I kept them for a long time because I knew that the gaff was no longer made in that style and they would become collectible.

Here is the problem. I got rid of all my shipping boxes yesterday so I'm scrounging around trying to find one. May take an extra day or two to ship. that's the bad news.

The good news is I found the original matching gaffed balls that came with the set when it was new, so you only need some medium sized lemons.

I know what the instructions say ,but to start out make a small mark on the cup with a grease pencil so you can wipe it off later and take a needle and thread and weave a yellow or orange thread around the ball but leave it loose so you can pull it out later. This will help you to follow along as you are learning.

I thought Bill had a set of these or I would have contacted him. Sorry Bill.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
KingSD -

Thank you so much for your courtesy and suggestions! I am looking forward to working with them very much.
BlackShadow
View Profile
Special user
London UK
666 Posts

Profile of BlackShadow
Quote:
On 2005-01-02 21:54, Bill Palmer wrote:
The gaff has changed from the old cups to the new ones. They have tried to fight the Indian imports and the Argentine imports and that is very difficult to do. The gaff is visible on both the old ones and the new ones; however, I don't think anyone will know what the gaff is, unless you point it out when you show them the insides of the cups.

I think it's almost as bad if someone has a doubt. Like a poorly done pass they may not know what it was but the mere suspicion detracts from the effect.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There is really no need to do more than flash the inside of the cups. The main thing is not to be surreptitious about it. If you act suspicious, they will nail you every time.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
Mike Brazill has a new combo cup coming out that will get rid of that problem. I'll have photos on the web site soon.

Here is a sneak preview of the new Copper Monti Cups. Each cups is double spun to hide the gaff in one cup. Each cup weighs approx 6 oz. The gaff is so well hid that a spectator can pick up each cup and will not be able to see the gaff in the one cup. Anticipated shipping date is the end of January 2005 and will be limited to 50 sets.

Jake

Click here to view attached image.
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Quote:
... The gaff is visible on both the old ones and the new ones; however, I don't think anyone will know what the gaff is, unless you point it out when you show them the insides of the cups.

I guess I was one of the lucky ones. I can't see the gaff at all. It wasn't until recently that I could tell them apart without "testing" them. Now that I've worked at it, I can now tell some weight difference but that's about it.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
I never felt the need to show the inside of all three. I pull them out as a stack and then laythem out pick up an end one and do the wand pass thru. After that if its done well you should be moving along at a good clip and directing the spectator attention with nothing to worry about.

When I first got started I did get busted by a young kid about 7-8 in an informal showing, because I went to the restroom and left the cups out with three in front. When I came back he said how come you have three cups and four balls? I told him he would see in a minute and pretended to put one away. I finished like Ammar with three loads and one from the stack, and said see you always have four, but still walked away a bit red. My first lesson in unattended props, and probably my best lesson, now that I think back on it. Even though I pulled it out of the fire and really amazed, the guilty blush didn't go away for a while.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
bigchuck
View Profile
Veteran user
Nothing clever has ever been said in my
400 Posts

Profile of bigchuck
KingStardog, I had the exact same thing happen -- except it was my DAD I left unattended in my room with my props Smile -- this was back in the days when I was just getting started with the effect, soon after that little incident I switched to a better (& ungimmicked) set of cups -- now my dear old dad can play all he likes...
"The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact
mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows. - Frank Zappa"
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2005-01-03 19:44, Dave VanVranken wrote:
Quote:
... The gaff is visible on both the old ones and the new ones; however, I don't think anyone will know what the gaff is, unless you point it out when you show them the insides of the cups.

I guess I was one of the lucky ones. I can't see the gaff at all. It wasn't until recently that I could tell them apart without "testing" them. Now that I've worked at it, I can now tell some weight difference but that's about it.

The gaff on the old cups was visible if you looked at the inside of the shoulder bead. On most of them, you could see a line that went all the way around the bead on the gaffed cup.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
You're right. Since nobody examines the cups that closely, and never more than one, it's never been noticed before, even by me.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1174 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
I was using a set of the Morrissey Combo cups once and the gaff actually fell out mid-performance. Not too many outs for that.

I contacted Richard at Morrissey's and he explained that for a period of time they had changed the way they made the Gaff. The were glueing in a cover as opposed to spinning the Gaff in the cup.

They had since switched back to the spinning method.

As always the people at Morrissey's were real pros. They apologised and sent me a brand new set of cups in exchange for my broken one.

Mike
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Question: Morrissey Combo Cups and Balls - Poor Gaffe? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL