The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Starting the Three Shell Game- help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
Hi all,
I'd like to start getting into the Three Shell Game "stuff." I'm lazy, so don't even bother giving me the "do a search" thing; no, if that is the best thing, ok, you can tell me, lol. I'm not going to gamble, strictly for having fun performing magic for friends/family, possibly some stuff for Junior Night at the Castle.

Anyway, tips like what shells to get, what books/Dvds, all that would be great.

I have heard a lot about the S4S shells, and I think I might get their Street Shells, they seem nice. Or should I get the Magnetic ones?

All this would help
Thanks guys,
Rmax Goodwin
rmaxgoodwin.com
https://rmaxgoodwin.com/
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
Yes, the search may prove to be a worthwhile venture. Much information is covered on the very things you've asked about.
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
Jack Chanin has a book by the name of "Encyclopedia of the Three Shell Game." Is it any good? I know HE is, but still... And is it good for someone JUST, JUST beggining? And, Is it even being sold anymore?

Rmax
rmaxgoodwin.com
Ignore me...
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of Ignore me...
At least he was honest enough to say that his question didn't matter enough to him to do a search, so we didn't have to spend time caring enough to answer! *laugh*
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Hey Magicmaven I suggest that since you live in LA I would use the Café and the Magic Castle and try to get to know Whit Haydn. He performs at the Magic Castle and is one of the men to know when talking the shell game and three card monte... Whit Haydn is one of the people that also runs the School for Scoundrels and they sometimes have classes that are done right in the Magic Castle...

That class is HIGHLY RECOMENDED...

Check out the school for s web site and that is a great place for the latest books and DVD's on the subject of the shell game. A new one should be coming out this year...

If you like a soft pea and a close up mat check out my web site and the video I have on it... Just click the link below. The video might give you a few ideas...

I use the copper shells from the school for s I like them a lot and they dress up the effect for formal shows... But the effect can be done with bottle caps, thimbles and there are many sets on the market some are good and some are not...

But the S4S sets are all very good and will hold up when doing show after show after show...

As far as routines my stuff is good but it is out of stock and out of print. Also there is a good routine in one of the books Routined Manipulation by Lewis Ganson... Gary Ollett had a routine out called supershells... Frank Garcia had a book called all in a nut shell...

The routine is more important than the props you use but if you are performing I still feel that it is good to have good props... This is one of those routines that the audience members want to pick the shell. And it can be done only if you do it in a nice way...

Also one last tip - don't make the routine to long...

I hope this helps...
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
I saw Whit on wednesday, yeah, he is fantastic, though I didn't see him doing the 3 sehll game. I posted a whole thread about him being a genius (it's in the Card section)

I think I am going to get "Absolutely Nuts," by Bob Sheets, I think it is a good starting point, but what do I know? Diversion for the 3 shell and Pea Game seems nice, by Dusty Johnson.

Whit is putting out a DVD w/ Bob Sheets, and it is a introduction to the 3shell game. I hear it will by at Hollywood Magic at the end of the month. There is a good chance I'll get that too. (Correct me if I'm Wrong Whit)

But currently I am looking for some simple book that will show me the basic slieghts, patterns, JUST THE BASSICS, no long routine necessary. It could even be just a pamphlet- any ideas?

Thanks,
Rmax Goodwin
rmaxgoodwin.com
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Rmax--good to meet you the other night at the Castle. I am sorry you missed the shell game, I was using it in most of the shows last week using our new solid silver shells.

The Chanin book was published in 1934 and is long out of print, but very good.

The best reasonably priced book available is the Tom Osborne book called "The Shell Game" edited by Ralph Read and published by Kanter's--seven bucks in most magic shops or from S4S. It is not easy to read, but it has great stuff.

Chanin, Osborne, and Eddie Joseph are the three most seminal writers on the shells, and each has a different way of looking at the work. Only the Osborne book is readily available however, and it is published now without his name on it for some reason. Look for the name Ralp Read as editor. That is the same book.

Bob Kohler's video "The Golden Shells" is a good introductory routine, as is Ouellet's "SuperShells" routine. Eric De Camps also has a wonderful, very advanced routine in his lecture notes.

The "Introduction to the Shell Game" from S4S by Bob Sheets and myself is finished and will be available this month. It is the best guide available for the shell game, and I would grab it, for sure. It is more than an intro, it is a complete new system for the shells, with a beginning routine and patter and all of the most important sleights and moves, with many new sleights and original ideas that create a whole new way of approaching the shells.

I would start with a simple set of shells, like the Street Shells. The magnets are great, but can be a distraction when you are just learning. Whatever shells you get, I highly recommend the S4S "Perfect Pea." They make learning and working the shells much easier.

Good luck!
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
Thanks Glen, and Whit,

I think I am going to get the Tom Osborne book- that way I'll read through that, get the feel of the slieghts (only $7 too)... then in a month or so I'll pick up your new DVD, and move on from their.

I hear Chanin is REALly great. I'll ask Jeff Thomas (manager at Hollywood Magic) if he has a copy his book, maybe he'll lend it to me.

(oh, and I did do a search, and got a couple resources-- lol!)
Thanks again,
rmaxgoodwin.com
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
Whit,

Got the Street Shell and Tom Osborne book from Chef for Christmas..Nice!

Have you fixed the Price of the DVD yet?

Howard
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
$35
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
That's fine thanks..I hope it is Multiregion?

Howard
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Yes.
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
How many Dvd's are you guys planning on having in the Shell game Series, Whit? Is each one going to build on the previous one?

Rmax
rmaxgoodwin.com
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
There will be at least three, and possibly more. Each will build on the previous ones.
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Your welcome Magicmaven... I can't stress enough to do the routine in a nice way... And not make the routine to long. Pick moves that have surprises for the audience and of course a punch ending...

As with the cups and balls and other effects you can also use other props in a pinch. I had my close up case stolden years ago with my shell game. I got a call for a show. So I used bottle caps for a while... The audience didn't know the difference because it is the routine and the entertainment that is important...

I have seen people do it with thimbles on the streets... Take your time and work things out...

One of the reasons I like a sponge pea is that you can cut it large and use larger shells and it can be seen from a long distance away when playing to bigger tables. And using yellow or white soft spong it can help in restaurants with bad lighting...

Just a few things to think about... Good luck with your routine...
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
Karl Miller
View Profile
Elite user
494 Posts

Profile of Karl Miller
I got a little sneak peak at the new SFS Shell Game DVD at Dean Dill's place last week, and it is fantastic. Bob and Whit have put together a top quality product that teaches the basics and THE most cutting-edge material available for the shell game. You guys should not pass this up when it comes out!
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Thanks, Karl. Glad you liked it.
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
So the end of the month it will be at hollywood magic, right Whit?
And I don't need to know anything about the shell game, right?
Rmax
rmaxgoodwin.com
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Should be. Depends on the duplicator and wholesaler.
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
Thanks.
rmaxgoodwin.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Starting the Three Shell Game- help (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL