We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Left-handed? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magicbarry
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
276 Posts

Profile of Magicbarry
There's one move I would love to use more often, but as I am left-handed, it's a bit awkward. I'm speaking of the vanish where a thumb-palmed coin is deposited in your breast pocket.

The problem is that breast pockets are located on the left side of a shirt/jacket, making a deposit from the left hand a bit unnatural. I've found a few ways around this problem, but I'm wondering what other lefties do about it. Do you deposit with your left hand anyway? Do you do the trick right-handed? Possibly get a lefty-friendly shirt/jacket tailored?
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
There are so many secret transfers or loads of a coin from one hand to another to choose from and it is such a small change to make in a routine...

Just adjust the routine to get the coin into right thumb palm and ditch it normally.
Click to visit:
gimmick1586
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of gimmick1586
Well its best to learn close to all your sleights with both hands. So I would learn the move with my right. Useing both hands is great.
Dr. Jakks
View Profile
Special user
832 Posts

Profile of Dr. Jakks
Just reverse the process. I am ambidexterous so I have no worry Smile

JAkks
TOBIAS
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle Magic
221 Posts

Profile of TOBIAS
I think every one here has the right ideas.
Just make it fit you in any way that is comfortable. If it is to change the handling or just switch hands.

Just make it look good is all that matters I guess...

Smile
Be true to your art, and it will be true to you
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4860 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Hi, I am left handed and I have found all kinds of vest and coats that have four pockets. Most of them I have found at used or 2nd hand stores! Thay cost a lot less there too! Smile So just look around and you will find them. Just don't stop becase you don't find one the first time or two you go! Keep at it! They are out there!

Best David Neighbors
The Coinjurer
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
spherie
View Profile
New user
Germany
52 Posts

Profile of spherie
I'd also suggest that you somehow find a way to transfer the coin into your right and ditch it in the left breast pocket. Wearing a shirt or vest with about thirty pockets will only draw the audience's attention to the pockets. After all, where they believe disappear all these coins? Smile

Regards,

Spherie
Magicbarry
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
276 Posts

Profile of Magicbarry
Basically, I do all the above, though I haven't had any success finding the many-pocketed tops I'm looking for. Those would be ideal.

My right hand is a great handicap for me. I think mine is more clumsy than the average lefty's. It's just about useless for everything I do in life, so I practice constantly with that hand. I've got some degree of competency with it, but my fumble percentage is higher than I'd like it to be. Usually I can get away with switching hands before ditching the coin in my breast pocket.

Where I run into trouble is with a routine like Winged Silver, which relies on my strong left to execute a good fake throw. (I can do it with my right, but there's that higher risk of fumbling.) For the final throw, which should incorporate the breast pocket ditch, there's no opportunity to switch hands. I've found other places to ditch it (such as my lap, if I'm seated, or my lower pockets if I'm standing), but the breast pocket ditch is a favourite of mine, and allows for a completely natural movement, so I'd prefer to go with that.

I'll take a look for some of those four-pocketed coats and vests David mentions. For now, I'll continue to practice with that dang right hand.
gimmick1586
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of gimmick1586
I still say practice with both hands. You won't regret it. It is so much harder for a spec to keep up with two hands instead of one. Also it will eliminate patters that happen. Like whats up with the coin always dissapearing in that hand.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Left-handed? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL