The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Phil Goldstein reprint is coming!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Jean-Luc.R.
View Profile
Inner circle
QUEBEC - CANADA
1389 Posts

Profile of Jean-Luc.R.
Great deal and great news !!!! Did you pay already too much for the series?? Read "Prism
Hermetic Press 2005,
hard cover, 240 p.

Prism will be out of the printer on January 21. We expect to have it in stock on January 28.

While a sizable literature devoted to mentalism was produced in the past hundred years, little has stood the test of time. Among the scant amount that has is that of Max Maven. Writing under the name of Phil Goldstein, Maven has created one of the largest, cleverest and most influential bodies of work in the field, stretching from the latter part of the twentieth century into the twenty-first.

His star rose early, with the publication of five slim collections, each packed with innovative and performance-caliber mentalism. These booklets, which have become widely known as The Color Series, contained items such as Desire, The Spirit is Willing (to Write) and Four-sided Triangle. Maven produced the Color booklets in small quantities and, despite ongoing popular request, refused to reprint them. They have become highly sought after, fetching prices in the hundreds of dollars.

At last, after a quarter of a century, the entire Color Series is again available; all 53 effects, newly illustrated by Ton Onosaka."
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
The word I hear is that that have been knocking these out at the local copy stores and putting them on Ebay. I first heard about it two years ago or so. Be careful when buying the old ones. Smile
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Pewh!!!!
Good News!!
I ALMOST paid several hundred dollars for the Color Series a short while ago.
Believe me, I truly look foreward to Jan 28.

Sven
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2571 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
Any idea of a price?

Bev
Morganite
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of Morganite
Hi, acording to Hermetic press website, it will be priced at 40 dollars. Not bad for such a book.

g.
Jean-Luc.R.
View Profile
Inner circle
QUEBEC - CANADA
1389 Posts

Profile of Jean-Luc.R.
Price will be around 40$ US dollars, but go to joyalstack.com to get a deal.
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
This is very cool, though it would still be nice to own the originals and own a piece of magic history.

Anabelle
scott b.
View Profile
Special user
734 Posts

Profile of scott b.
This is VERY cool, I will definitely try to pick this one up when it comes out.
Thanks! Scott B.

"I don't know the key to success . . . but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1531 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
Well,
I for one am glad. I can now get the series without getting sniped on ebay for a set.

Rick
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer
Host of the Haunted Magic show at House of Cards Nashville!
Jean-Luc.R.
View Profile
Inner circle
QUEBEC - CANADA
1389 Posts

Profile of Jean-Luc.R.
You can find a good deal on the new book at

http://www.joyalstack.com/Pages/Prism0501.html
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3261 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Just made my order of Prism from Hermetic Press, this is a must have.

Peo
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
scott b.
View Profile
Special user
734 Posts

Profile of scott b.
I'll hopefully *crosses fingers* get around to ordering sometime this week, so Peo, right now, I am envious of you, haha.
Thanks! Scott B.

"I don't know the key to success . . . but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
Quote:
On 2005-01-05 22:40, MentaThought wrote:
Phil Goldstein - yet another Max Maven wannabe!

very clever.
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
...lugging Grandma to the Pawn Shop as we speak.....
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Jean-Luc.R.
View Profile
Inner circle
QUEBEC - CANADA
1389 Posts

Profile of Jean-Luc.R.
Prism NEW REPRINT Contents :
Prologue
xi
Epilogue
xvii
The Blue Book
Introduction

Desire

Burnt Offerings

Tephramantic Brainwave

’Tis the Season to be Lying

Pre-duck-tion

Dangerous Game

The Temperamental Guest

Geometric Coin

The Spirit is Willing (to Write)

Elemental

Double Undercurrent

Middle Telepathy

Chaos

The Red Book

Introduction

Four-Sided Triangle

Parallax

Disposable Color

Writer’s Cramp

The Happy Horoscoper

Satan’s Nightmare

Your Choice

Vision Version

Power Drain

Pscrabble

The Green Book

Introduction

Destiny

Combo

Old Math

The Psychic Bartender

Nucleus

Discretion

Predixion

Onstage Bender

Ranch Dowser

The Mind’s Eye Deck

The Yellow Book

Introduction

Windowshopper

Shuffled Impulse

Designation

The Armchair Bowler

Phona

Astro-Key

Quindex

Modern Dart

Resolution

Doubleview

The Violet Book

Introduction

Dowsing for Dollars

Kirigami

One Hand Clapping

Squarot

Rainbow Matrix

Indication

French Active

Psiangle

Racer’s Edge
DaveS
View Profile
Veteran user
New York
329 Posts

Profile of DaveS
This is great news for fans of Max's work who don't own the original Color Series, especially given the book's low price ($40!). However, when Max recently lectured in NYC I thought he said, in response to a question, that there were no plans to republish the series. Guess I heard wrong!
DaveS
We shall not cease from exploration/And the end of all our exploring/Will be to arrive where we started/And know the place for the first time. (TS Elliot)
John LeBlanc
View Profile
Special user
Houston, TX
524 Posts

Profile of John LeBlanc
Quote:
On 2005-01-05 16:12, RIVARDJLR wrote:
Great deal and great news !!!! DID YOU PAY ALREADY TOO MUCH FOR THE SERIES ????

Well, I wouldn't put it that way. There are two factors to consider when discussing the original set of the Color Series.

There's the content, which is excellent and worthy of studying. I can't imagine anyone seriously interested in magic -- and especially in mentalism -- who wouldn't want a copy of the reprint.

And then there's the collectibility factor. There were only so many of these booklets produced. Violet is the most rare of the five. As a collector, I have several versions of many magic books. I collect first editions of "Art of Magic" and "Greater Magic" -- even though I have later versions (which I am not as careful with as I turn pages.)

I have the original hard cover of "STUNNERS!" -- and subsequently purchased a copy of "STUNNERS Plus!" when it became available even though Larry sent to me a copy of the "Plus" stuff. I wanted both versions in my collection.

There are plenty of collectors of Phil Goldstein/Max Maven stuff who will want the original set in their collection. I doubt the prices will drop all that much as a result of the book being released.

I'm considering auctioning off my set on eBay later this evening for a Buy It Now of probably $295 (like many others, I take advantage of a Buy It Now when available to avoid the usual last-minute sniping on items like this.) I think that's fair for a collectible and I imagine at that price it will go pretty quickly, even with me stating very plainly and up front that Hermetic Press is releasing the reprint. But, we'll see.

John LeBlanc
Escamoteurettes, my blog.

"One thought fills immensity." -- William Blake
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
I believe the new hardcover will actually increase the value of the original color series booklets.
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
pierredan
View Profile
Special user
Dai Vernon's birthplace
533 Posts

Profile of pierredan
Maven has stated more than once that he would not reprint the Color series.

In some way, he is responsible for increasing the desire for the Color series that lead to its underground and Internet selling. His refusal to reprint them basically told magicians that there was no other way to acquire these books.

The near legendary status these books have now achieved is in large part due to the high prices they were obtaining on the underground market. I have no doubt this free publicity will make Prism a record seller.

I guess the lesson to be learned from this is that if the magic community is demanding a book to be reprinted, you should first turn to the underground market. Then again, maybe the author should just indulge his target market sooner and not allow an underground market to develop in the first place.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Interesting point made by Mr LeBlanc- There is the content and there is the physical booklets themselves. By not reprinting the booklets themselves, they remain a collectible entity. By reprinting the contents, the forgers will have lost their market and the original booklets will float to a more realistic level. There is a certain cost-factor to the originals that is due to folks NOT knowing the contents. When this is removed, their trading level will be more realistic.

I would bet by Febuary last, the new book will be sold out, and the old originals will not fetch $150/set. Then...the cost of Prism will rise...and rise...and rise.

And I'll bet that there will be a flurry of last-minute eBayers who have paid much, learned (or copied) the contents, and who have intended to resell the originals to recoup their investment. Not collectors, just buyers/sellers, sort of like the trade in the Body Magic book or Al Mann's stuff. I would assume there will be gnashing of teeth in the hallowed halls of magicdom from this.

...got a good price at the Pawn shop for Granny, so the book will be on its way to me...

Pierre- How does one "not allow an underground market to develop in the first case."? And how many exist for how many products? Just curious.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Phil Goldstein reprint is coming!!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL