The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Phil Goldstein reprint is coming!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
pierredan
View Profile
Special user
Dai Vernon's birthplace
533 Posts

Profile of pierredan
Tom - I was just trying to point out that if Max Maven wanted to stop the illegal pirating of his work, one option would have been to release a reprint much sooner. This would have ensured he received the profits for his work all these years and not the underground market. By underground market I am mostly referring to those who would sell unauthorized copies of the Color books over the internet.
DaveS
View Profile
Veteran user
New York
329 Posts

Profile of DaveS
On 2005-01-06 11:15, John W. LeBlanc wrote:
Quote:
There are plenty of collectors of Phil Goldstein/Max Maven stuff who will want the original set in their collection. I doubt the prices will drop all that much as a result of the book being released.

I'm considering auctioning off my set on eBay later this evening for a Buy It Now of probably $295 (like many others, I take advantage of a Buy It Now when available to avoid the usual last-minute sniping on items like this.) I think that's fair for a collectible and I imagine at that price it will go pretty quickly, even with me stating very plainly and up front that Hermetic Press is releasing the reprint. But, we'll see.

Hi John,
I'm surprised to learn that you're considering selling your set for only $295 considering you wrote here, not so long ago after a set had sold on e-Bay for $1,100, that "you'd need a hell of a lot more than $1,100 to get my set from me." Looks like the impending publication of the reprint is already affecting the collectors market for the original! Smile

As the owner of an original signed set that I bought piece meal from Max as each booklet was published in the 1970's, I'm following this with some interest.
Best regards,
DaveS
We shall not cease from exploration/And the end of all our exploring/Will be to arrive where we started/And know the place for the first time. (TS Elliot)
John LeBlanc
View Profile
Special user
Houston, TX
524 Posts

Profile of John LeBlanc
Quote:

I'm surprised to learn that you're considering selling your set for only $295 considering you wrote here, not so long ago after a set had sold on e-Bay for $1,100, that "you'd need a hell of a lot more than $1,100 to get my set from me." Looks like the impending publication of the reprint is already affecting the collectors market for the original! Smile

No need to be surprised. I have my set not as a collectible, but as the source of a set of useful tricks I actually use. While I realize not everyone agrees with my point of view, if I use a trick I believe I need to own the publication from which the trick came. Since I value and use the tricks, I had no intentions of selling the the booklets.

But, since the series is being officially released in another form, I see no need to hold onto the set. If I kept it as a collectible, that would be a different story.

John LeBlanc
Escamoteurettes, my blog.

"One thought fills immensity." -- William Blake
bkowkabany
View Profile
Loyal user
I have driven through the hearts of men
276 Posts

Profile of bkowkabany
I am glad to see this available. I have long been interested in this series, but unwilling to part with several hundred dollars for its collectibility. I agree with John, if you are going to perform it you should own it. The new publication puts this in reach.

Bruce
Download our Free Magic Inventory and Show Creation software - www.mailware.com/magic

Mentalist by day. Bizzarist by night.
Canadian Guy
View Profile
Regular user
California
170 Posts

Profile of Canadian Guy
The Magic Apple in Studio City is taking pre-orders for this book $40 each plus tax with FREE SHIPPING give them a call for more details 818-508-9921. The books will be shipped about around 2/7/05.
This is going to be a great book and soon a hard-to-find item!!
Jean-Luc.R.
View Profile
Inner circle
QUEBEC - CANADA
1389 Posts

Profile of Jean-Luc.R.
I already ordered mine from http://www.joyalstack.com .Pre- order price is $36.50 us until January 27 . Great deal.
Canadian Guy
View Profile
Regular user
California
170 Posts

Profile of Canadian Guy
Speaking of Phil Goldstein...have you guys heard of this trick:
New and Improved Phil Trick!

A spectator merely thinks of a card and the magician names it! Surprised? Now the kicker! - the magician thinks of a card and the spectator names it!

- Self Working, no sleight of hand!
- No Svengali!
- No Rough and Smooth
By Phil Goldstein and Peter Duffy!

It is Brand New!!!
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
I believe the first edition copies of Prism will soar in value and become collectible.
I will say it again, now there is even more of a collectible value to the original series.

I also believe this book is way under priced unfortunately. A price of $75.00 to $95.00 would have been acceptable and kept it a bit underground.

I only hope it is a sellout and a second edition doesn't come out, that would be nice.
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Pierre-

Ah. You are correct. Shoulda been done years ago. Curious tightrope to tread...deciding how to keep them published but sort of private, or having them ripped off, or reprint and popularize them. I am sure part of the cachet has been the cost themselves (sort of like Ricky Jay's poster and book).

Mr Maven's latest lecture notes, such as the one done for Mindvention now has prietary stamps, and secret markngs, (or something or other) to keep them from being duped and then foisted on ebayers...

It has been said that the surest way to hide something is to publish it. Instant obscurity and yesterday's news. Makes sense, sometimes.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
2926 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
It sounds like the color series has been around for awhile, but hard to get. Can someone post a review? A detailed effect by effect review would be much appreciated (although I realize that, with 53 effects, such a review is unlikely). How does this compare to Theatre of the Mind or Stunners?

Thanks,

Elliott
John LeBlanc
View Profile
Special user
Houston, TX
524 Posts

Profile of John LeBlanc
Quote:
On 2005-01-08 21:34, ElliottB wrote:
It sounds like the color series has been around for awhile, but hard to get. Can someone post a review? A detailed effect by effect review would be much appreciated (although I realize that, with 53 effects, such a review is unlikely). How does this compare to Theatre of the Mind or Stunners?

You can use the search function of The Magic Café to search for the phrase "color series" and get over 70 hits, many of which will answer your question.

John LeBlanc
Escamoteurettes, my blog.

"One thought fills immensity." -- William Blake
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14063 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2005-01-06 21:41, Canadian Guy wrote:
Speaking of Phil Goldstein...have you guys heard of this trick:
New and Improved Phil Trick!

A spectator merely thinks of a card and the magician names it! Surprised? Now the kicker! - the magician thinks of a card and the spectator names it!

- Self Working, no sleight of hand!
- No Svengali!
- No Rough and Smooth
By Phil Goldstein and Peter Duffy!

It is Brand New!!!

I'm interested! Where can I find it? What is the name of the effect? How much?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
fib
View Profile
Inner circle
1535 Posts

Profile of fib
Not to be a curmudgeon, but can someone inform the rest of us dimwits who don't know Mr. Maven's entire body of work -- what some of these effects are: such as describe one or two like this: "you take a coin and the mentalist knows..." That way we'll have some idea what we're spending money on. I never did understand the pack mentality of "Oh, guess what's being reprinted!!! I have to buy it!"

Sincerely, Fib
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1832 Posts

Profile of teejay
This is going to be a chance to get some true classics at a very cheap price
Cheers
TJ
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
I put together a show straight out of the Red, Blue, and Green books of mentalism many years ago and used it at college shows. I've never seen the Violet book. It is difficult to say what is in them as it is an assortment. In addition, the presentational approaches are there. The four-sided triangle is a classic plot. No fantasy here or stuff he invented to just sell to magicians...this is stuff he used at the time (I have no idea if he still uses this material, it was a loooong time ago).

No special props, just very practical, entertaining mentalism.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Quote:
On 2005-01-06 20:47, RIVARDJLR wrote:
I already ordered mine from http://www.joyalstack.com .Pre- order price is $36.50 US until January 27 . Great deal.

$8.50 shipping from Canada pretty much cancels out any discounts though... I can pay full price from the publisher and only pay something like a dollar more, and get it in half the time it takes to get through Canadian Post.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Fib,

You have to keep in mind that most of the people here have never seen any of the color books so they can't tell you what is in them. Everyone else is just so used to not telling what is in them to keep the prices up. Okay, that's the cynical answer.

Look, they're great books, somthings you're just going to have to take at on the word of others. If you go back to this first page of listings, one of us posted the table of contents.

Lastly, if you want to find something out, it is often best to ask politely. Check out the table of contents and if you want to know something ask nicely. Someone will more than likely be happy to help.

Good luck.

Mark
What would Wavy do?
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
And suddenly a lot of color books can be found on ebay....
Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
Rick
View Profile
Elite user
Va.
445 Posts

Profile of Rick
Go figure ...lol
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Hey Ricky, How's it going?

Mark
What would Wavy do?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Phil Goldstein reprint is coming!!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL