The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » In The Fingers Card Spin (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
wild_card_matt
View Profile
New user
UK
10 Posts

Profile of wild_card_matt
Any1 wanting to learn by video should look on ebay..
tyler corbin's fists of fury cd has loads of manipulations + sum tricks and the spinning card that you have all been talking about..if you find it ebay there is a demo video you can watch before you buy...very cheap for wot effects and manipulations you get..have fun hope its wot ya lookin for..

matt

Ok sorry ppl its called tyler corbins fists ov flourish 1&2.

matt
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1947 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
If you have about $80 (what I paid @2years ago), you could get Gerald P. Cestkowski's "Encyclopedia of Playng Card Flourishes". Magic is intentionally left out, but it has the discussed sleight plus any other sleight I could imagine. If you want to look like a pasteboard god, let me suggest this book. By the way this book does not have many manipulations I would consider easy. It is however easily my favorite book.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Back-BrKR
View Profile
New user
San Diego, CA
76 Posts

Profile of Back-BrKR
Ah, man. I cannot believe this, when I started this post I did'nt know the name of the flourish. I didn't even bother looking in my books, I have Card College (Entire Set) & The Encyclopedia Of Playing Card Flourishes. Card College Vol. 4 (Page 1022) contains the Pirouette instructions. Jerry's books contains this info in the Throwing & Juggling section.

Thanks for the tip ForeverRiel, I'll dive into Jerry's book to check out his instructions on the flourish.

:)
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Daniel Santos, I to wanted to learn this and tried (unsuccessfully) to do it. But I used your tips and I'm now starting to get the hang of it. Thanks for your post.
Magic is a vanishing art.
dan84
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of dan84
It just takes loads of practice I practiced while watching TV and got it in about 4 days.
ClouDsss
View Profile
Inner circle
1799 Posts

Profile of ClouDsss
I started this move but practising to balance one card on my middle finger and moving my hand around and not dropping the card. this way I managed to find the centre of gravity of the card.

after that I realiesd that if I pull back too fast or hard with my index finger, the card spins but falls away after some time. after which I decided to jus brush it lightly and the card spins fast and stays on my finger.

its a nice flourish and I simply love it Smile

cheerios
Think outside the box, cos people are all thinking inside now!! - ClouDsss
Jesse Feinberg
View Profile
Inner circle
www.jessesmagic.com
1074 Posts

Profile of Jesse Feinberg
Quote:
This is great. he is very good and he is the person not the asian man at penguin.

asian men aren't people? just kiddin...
Back-BrKR
View Profile
New user
San Diego, CA
76 Posts

Profile of Back-BrKR
That's not nice Smile
S.Segal
View Profile
Special user
San Diego
949 Posts

Profile of S.Segal
It has been called many things including Pirouette Flourish but as far as I know it was originally published under the title "Whirl Flourish" in Jon Racherbaumer's Card Finesse Volume 2 (first item in the book). He credits older French magicians for originally performing this as well as Rocco for doing the move with glue (or tac) on his finger.

S.Segal
Gaft Card Magic Available here!
JC Wagner In Full Metal Jacket here!
simply Sydney DVD here!
WhiteAngel
View Profile
Loyal user
West Virginia, USA
269 Posts

Profile of WhiteAngel
Anyone have a link to see this move?
True illusionists strive to decieve the eye AND the mind.....
S.Segal
View Profile
Special user
San Diego
949 Posts

Profile of S.Segal
You can see the "Whirl Flourish" in this trailer... It is during the effect with the Ace of Clubs.

http://www.dananddave.com/trailers/gcm_trailer.html

S.Segal
Gaft Card Magic Available here!
JC Wagner In Full Metal Jacket here!
simply Sydney DVD here!
WhiteAngel
View Profile
Loyal user
West Virginia, USA
269 Posts

Profile of WhiteAngel
Thank you. I have seen that effect, but I never could get it down. Seeing it makes me want to try for it agian. Thanks again!
True illusionists strive to decieve the eye AND the mind.....
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Quote:
On 2005-01-09 20:04, Back-BrKR wrote:
Ah, man. I cannot believe this, when I started this post I did'nt know the name of the flourish. I didn't even bother looking in my books,

Been there, done that. Not to feel bad though, you did the right thing by asking the right people here on the Café.
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
mcmc
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of mcmc
Thanks guys! I saw it done on the gaft card dvd and wondered if it was a gimmicked flourish (sorry, ssegal). Now I can do it.
danelwood
View Profile
New user
New Hampshire
85 Posts

Profile of danelwood
I just got on this forum today. I have to say that I have been struggling for some time to figure out this flourish. It was the first thing I searched on the forum (pirrouette), and I can do it now! The key points of balancing it on the middle finger, and using a very light stroke/brush of the index finger were the keys to getting it to spin rapidly and long for me. Thank you thank you thanks to all of you.
Also for anyone looking for a video demo of it, a nice one can be found by looking at the Tyler Corbin video demo for his Fists of Flourish CD were he spins them nicely in both hands.
"Now watch closely!"
bigchuck
View Profile
Veteran user
Nothing clever has ever been said in my
400 Posts

Profile of bigchuck
I have just recently started trying this move & it is NOT easy to get consistency! I get really good spins sometimes and other times it completely farts out on me Smile Thanks for all the pointers on this thread, at first I was trying with no thumb involvement -- big mistake! (that wasted a half hour of my life). For me it started to get better when I realized it is kind of similar to throwing a card (but not letting it go)

I don't know if it is technically correct but at least now I am getting SOME nice spins. This is one of those moves I think it is better to try for 15 minutes to a half hour at a time and then move onto something else... Give it some time to let your subconscious catch up in between practice sessions.

Of course, its different strokes for different folks, just my 2 cents.
"The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact
mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows. - Frank Zappa"
zur
View Profile
Special user
California
671 Posts

Profile of zur
Its hard to get a good spin everytime. I have found that tilting the card at an angle gets a consistency for better spins.
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
Paul Harris does this nicely. I've not been able to get it down.
~Joe
funstuff
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of funstuff
Quote:
On 2005-01-09 19:17, wild_card_matt wrote:
Any1 wanting to learn by video should look on ebay..
tyler corbin's fists of fury cd has loads of manipulations + sum tricks and the spinning card that you have all been talking about..if you find it ebay there is a demo video you can watch before you buy...very cheap for wot effects and manipulations you get..have fun hope its wot ya lookin for..

matt

You can go right to his site at http://www.corbinmagic.com and check out his videos. Most effects he throws in some flourishes, I particularly like the royal assembly.

Some I have seen look like the fingers are touching the card on top and bottom. Is it true or is it just resting on the bottom??
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
That's the way I do it. It balances on the middle finger.

I use my thumb and index finger to pull the card inwards while at the same time push my middle finger outwards. All this is done with a light touch.
Magic is a vanishing art.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » In The Fingers Card Spin (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL