The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Bryce's Screen (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
I believe he drug it around with a person on either end. His screen was very heavy, made out of masonite, and thus had to be dragged around.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
semo
View Profile
Loyal user
San Jose, CA
300 Posts

Profile of semo
OK, so let's take the concept of an individual spinning this by himself. My armspan is about 64 inches being able to grab something with both hands and stretching out completely. With 5 screens at 18" a piece, you are at about 90 inches (give or take for hinges). Why couldn't you simply pull the screens in a bit of a semi circle and spin them completely around...think of it like dancing with the screens doing a complete circle. Your hidden assistant can help by simply "dancing" with you. Then you "straighten up" the screens once you do a complete 360. If done to music, this could look quite graceful, I would think. Especially with using cloth (rather than masonite). Then you are not dragging one end, you are picking up 2 ends at the same time, but pivoting it on the middle screens.

Again, I don't have this prop, but it seems that this should work. Someone with the prop should try this and let us know if it is doable and practical in the real world.
Scott Emo, co-creator of Fenced In Illusion - There's nothing better than breaking free!

And creator of Sacred - The Child Conjuring Illusion - Because there is nothing more magical than the creation of a child.

Find them at: http://www.masterofillusions.ca/
semo
View Profile
Loyal user
San Jose, CA
300 Posts

Profile of semo
OK, I talked with Jimmy (magic4545) offline, and I think he has a great solution for whole spinning issue that we have been discussing that is really thinking outside of the box -- or screen, as it were. Jimmy said above that he was going to do a live performance of it and put it up on youtube, so I don't want to spoil it. Let's just say Jimmy has come up with a very creative way to get past the issue.

Go Jimmy!
Scott Emo, co-creator of Fenced In Illusion - There's nothing better than breaking free!

And creator of Sacred - The Child Conjuring Illusion - Because there is nothing more magical than the creation of a child.

Find them at: http://www.masterofillusions.ca/
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
Does anyone have the Creative Magic version, B-Screen, which would seem to solve at least Frank Tougas' problem of storage space. But is it as good as the original? I have Circle Squared and really like it. Very practical and versatile. Bryce's Screen almost seems practical in its "old fashioned" version (withouth the light-weight fabric and velcro), making it a more solid illusion in its original form. Is that the case? Or do people find the B-Screen effect powerful too?
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1174 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
I have the B-Screens. They work exactly like the original version, just easier to store and transport. The only slight drawback is that they are not quite as sturdy when set-up.
Fabricem
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of Fabricem
Sorry but what is this? you really think this is a good Illusion?
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Okay, here's the solution...

Duh!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXByS0d6Hvs

It's also hilarious to watch the ending! I've got friends watching this one over and over...

I'm not sure how long that I'm going to leave this up, but I feel that it's the only way to do the screen that justifies the production.

Let me know what you think. Other than "You've ruined PK Touches..."

JF
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
By the way, Jeff McBride liked it so much, he has requested my permission to use the 5-panel construction AND front to back orientation concept from "Touch of a Demon Ghost." I still think that he just liked the mask, he's a pushover for that stuff with masks in it!

Now, everyone is allowed to like it, LOL!!!

JF
magicmonk
View Profile
New user
Donald Monk
23 Posts

Profile of magicmonk
I made myself a 'Bryce's Screen' after watching and analysing the workings from Creative Magic's video,- I used PVC pipe about i/4" oval cross section for the framework. The pipe could be bent to a right angle and all joints fixed with a hot-glue gun. The covering was made two sided out of a sort of silky material and I stuck all the edges etc. together with contact adhesive. Finishing of the joints/hinges with broad black tape,- also syuck with glue.

The finished product was made to be six foot tall as I wanted it to have a reasonable viewing angle from the front . . . not sure if it would pass inspection from a balcony (not had opportunity to test this yet).

As for 'proving' the rear to be innocent I used a couple of kids from the audience who were given a magic wand each. Shown how to wave them at each other across the stage and then took upstage, behind the screens to do their stuff.

My assistant and I then proceeded to produce Father Christmas. The kids at the back of the stage could testify to anyone that asked that the big guy didn't sneak in the back.

Somebody posted saying that they would want to use it single handed to produce their assistant. This illusion, as I made it, requires two people to opperate it, but to produce Santa, or other dignitary is a doddle as all they have to do is stand there and wait for their appearance.

The only downside with the illusion is that it is infact six foot long,- fortunately I have an estate car that will take it.

To see a most amusing picture and funny story of this illusion visit my blog at
http://MagicMonkSolutions.com/2/page/2/ and scroll down to the entry dated 2010-04-15 . . . . . it'll make you chuckle !
Have a Chuckle,- and get a Free Magic Tutorial at http://www.MagicMonkSolutions.com
g.albinana
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of g.albinana
Quote:
On Sep 10, 2007, magic4545 wrote:
Okay, here's the solution...

Duh!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXByS0d6Hvs

It's also hilarious to watch the ending! I've got friends watching this one over and over...

I'm not sure how long that I'm going to leave this up, but I feel that it's the only way to do the screen that justifies the production.

Let me know what you think. Other than "You've ruined PK Touches..."

JF

How can we see this? the video is no longer there...really interested because I like your work a lot Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Bryce's Screen (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL