The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Hand Washing (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
cloneman
View Profile
Elite user
474 Posts

Profile of cloneman
What sources do people recommend for "hand washing" techniques? I'm talking about those "look my hands are empty" moves done when palming a coin. BTW, I'm talking about more than "subtleties" here (Ramsey, Kapps); I would love to learn more ways of actually displaying all sides of the hand while secretly shifting the coin to where it can't be seen.
"Anything is possible... if you don't know what you are talking about."
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Watch anyone with OC as they do what they do. Then ... decide.

Harry Lorayne was kind enough to publish two of my transfers in Apocalypse way back when. One is very cool for one coin or when the coins are stuck together. The other was developed for use in the Cylinder and Coins routine.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
SOHartist
View Profile
Loyal user
Ft. Myers, Florida
211 Posts

Profile of SOHartist
Michael Ammar has a good hand washing bit. I'm pretty sure I learned it off of David Stone's 2nd coin magic Dvd. Though my favorite is Troy Hooser's. I learned that in his DesTROYers book. Its great, I use it all the time, no one has yet said something, so I guess it works. Smile
Ed Oschmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Lake Worth FL
1022 Posts

Profile of Ed Oschmann
John Bannon describes a Bob Kohler handwashing technique in Smoke and Mirrors that is very good. It's the coin/flurry nest of boxes routine that I can't remember the name of the routine for the life of me.
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
Director of Product Development
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
I have always used the hand washing sequence described in Gary Kurtz' book. Between that and Ammars' Wiped Clean, these are two of the best hand washing sequences I've seen.
“We're two tigers away from an act in Vegas.” Greg House M.D.
<BR>
<BR>http://www.ericjonesmagic.com
juggler13
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of juggler13
Quote:
On 2005-01-06 21:17, Godhandz wrote:
I have always used the hand washing sequence described in Gary Kurtz' book. Between that and Ammars' Wiped Clean, these are two of the best hand washing sequences I've seen.

Shouldn't it be never seen?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Between doing a bad impression of someone with O/C disorder and doing a very bad impression of vogueing... we really need to find our own body language and the motivation to direct the figiting.

BTW, There is a wonderful handwashing/transfer by john Ramsay described in detail in the third Galloway book, The Ramsay Finale. There is also a very subtle transfer in The Ramsay Legend That might be inspiring to the more thoughtful among us.

Strike a pose!
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
I don't really link this video from my website anymore, but I still have it online.

There was a phase I went through about 4 years ago when I was studying many ways to show the hands front and back, combining hand washing, front and back of the hand concealments, stealing, loading, etc.

That video link above shows you what happens when you string them all together. I tend to agree with Jon here, that it looks pretty abnormal - no one does that stuff. Over the years I have tended to dispense with it. I will use the techniques however just jazzing around with a coin.

Or I may use one aquitment at the start of a routine, etc... Some of the techniques by themselves in a more subtle manner, not strung together like that video.

I am moving way too fast in that video, but it starts out with the Carney Fingertip vanish done way too fast, immediatly followed by the Handwash from the David Stone video, again way too fast, a load, a steal, a back clip, a classic palm, and a muscle pass Smile I pretty much did that thing as a demonstration. I have never did it for laypeople and honestly, don't think I have ever did it again since the video 4 years ago!

Answering the question specifically: The Hooser reference and the Bob Kohler reference above are the same - Hooser uses the Kohler aquitment. The one I use is the Wiped Clean which is a modified version of the one in the Ammar book, found on the David Stone Vol. 2 video/DVD. I have also used the Kurtz aquitment as well from "Unexplainable Acts"

Dan
Click to visit:
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Sorry to have left out one wonderful option, the action known as the Sylvester Pitch. You might want to look into this option and see if it might work in your style.
Brian Morgan
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of Brian Morgan
I use an acquitment that I believe is from Jeff McBride. I wipe the palm of my left, then the back of my right, then rotate my wrists upward showing the backs of both hands and finish by rotating my wrists back downward again showing the backs of my hands. It has seemed to always give the impression that my hands are empty to an audience. Hope this helps.
cloneman
View Profile
Elite user
474 Posts

Profile of cloneman
Dan - I know you think it's too fast, but that's actually a nice routine!

Godhandz - What's the title of the Kurtz book you mentioned?

JT - I haven't tried studying an O/C. However, I did get some ideas watching Lady MacBeth...
"Anything is possible... if you don't know what you are talking about."
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
I guess the answer's pretty evident from the above, there is a lot of material out there, but it's all over the place. To add to the bunch, I've always liked the Vernon transfer that's described in one of the "Chronicles". It's Vernon's take on one of the Ramasay changeovers Jonathan cited.

Kainoa has an interesting take on Ammar's "Wiped Clean" and you can see it in action on "Fists of Fury". He also describes it in print in "Coins on Edge".

Of course, the original use of the muscle pass was as an acquitment, see Buckley's Principles and Deceptions.

Some of the older texts, like Hugard's "Coin Magic" instruct you to steal stacks of coins from hand to hand during various hand-displaying and sweeping side-to-side gestures. There's an interesting one in Bobo's, involving stealing a coin from flat thumb palm in one hand between the fingertips of the other.

Gary Kurtz had a few acquitments that were part of, as he called it, his "vocabulary of gestures". You'll need to see his lecture notes for the "Full Frontal Assault" for some of them, and I believe his book "Unexplainable Acts" has one or two.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Apollo has a coin exercise on C.Exchange that has a couple nice transfers and a very clean vanish, and it ends in CP so you can move on from there.

Also on CE2 there are some wierd deep backclip/edge grip/fitch palm things that look really nice....
leko
View Profile
Loyal user
Netherlands
202 Posts

Profile of leko
The one in Bobo's Curtis mentioned is the 'Change-Over Pass' on page 17 of MCM or NewMCM. After the transfer I change the clipped coin to Tenkai backclip so I can show both hands empty (again) simultaneously.
Almost-A-Magician
View Profile
Regular user
New England
158 Posts

Profile of Almost-A-Magician
There is a good basic one in Troy Hooser's ExTroydinary, That allows you pass from CP in one hand to FP in the other while showing both empty.
ftlum
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, CA
730 Posts

Profile of ftlum
I've never been a great fan of the handwashing technique, as it tends to look abnormal-- a bit too much washing than a person might normally do. The hands tend to linger together more than necessary. I do, however, like the method used by Dave Neighbors. It's fast and simple (3 motions) and the dirty hand is perceived to be empty even though you've never shown it per se (it really fools!). I'd suggest you PM Dave-- he can elaborate and tell you if it's covered in any of his published material.

http://www.stumagic.com/Coinjure/Catalog.html

-- Frank
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Dan, you're right..."Way to fast." And it actually screams that you're hiding the coin. I agree with your pretty much doing away with it...looks too unnatural.
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Maybe I will rename it the "Hey look how clever I am at hiding a coin trick".
Click to visit:
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Quote:
On 2005-01-06 22:23, Dan Watkins wrote:
I don't really link this video from my website anymore, but I still have it online.

Nice flow of movements in that vid Dan.. You're using a *muscle*-pass for pouring the coin out of the cup, right? Smile Oh, just reread your posting..you did mention it, had overlooket it Smile
In any case, looks nice, but as you know, too many moves and proving not needed for the real wold, but actually I love seing it done that well!
It's eyepleasing for magicians..
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
Like everybody said, Michael Ammar's Wiped Clean is taught in David Stone's Basic Coin Magic vol2.
I also came across a video that teaches only handwashing. I think it's called Monty's Handwashing, try checking it.
"David Roth is the greatest coin manipulator in the entire world.."

-Dai Vernon "The Professor"

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Hand Washing (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL