The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magic Clubs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DougE
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of DougE
I was wondering what some of your thoughts are on magic clubs. Although I have been practicing magic for 10 years,I have never been to a magic club meeting. After having been practicing for a couple of years, I was in a magic shop and asked the owner if he knew of a local club and he gave me a contact number. He told me that he was not a member of the club[an IBM ring]and I asked him why and he replied "As far as I'm concerned it's a waste of time and I don't have the time to waste,but you can check it out and make up your own mind". A man who worked in this shop also said that he was not a member either and said "I've got better things to do on a friday night".
About a year later I was in another magic shop talking with the demonstrater and we got on the subject of clubs,and he also said he did not belong to one. He said he had been invited to a few meetings,but never joined. He said,"They say they want members,but then you go to the meetings and they act like they don't want you there".
I also spoke to a friend of a friend of mine who was into magic, and he told me about his experience of going to a club meeting as a guest and said,"I felt like the invisible man. Only one person spoke to me the whole evening and then when I got asked to come up to assist with a trick,the guy got angry with me because his trick didn't work,so I never whent back".
I have no first hand experience with a club,as I said,I've never been to one,mainly because of these negative comments and some other things I have read about clubs,but I always like to keep an open mind. I would be interested to read some other opinions,good or bad on this subject. Doug
Shane Wiker
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1199 Posts

Profile of Shane Wiker
My experience with magic clubs has been mostly positive. Different people act differently, so you just have to find the right people to talk to. I've made quite a few friends in magic clubs, so I'd recommend trying one, and see how you like it.

Shane Wiker
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Doug,

Your story reminded me of a small town that I once visited. The people I met were very friendly and went out of their way to make me feel welcome. Ironically, my sister whom passed through the same town a year later remarked, that it was horrible as the people she met were rude. That story always sticks in my mind as in all probability we probably met 2-3 people from there and made our judgements based apon that.

I really love my magic ring and the experience has been nothing short of positive. Although the membership is very large 120 members and perhaps 30 out of towners I always felt welcomed. I think it's not so much magic clubs as the people whom you come into contact with your first time there. If even one person greets you and appears to be happy to have met you - most would say it was a positive experience. If however, you are made to feel invisible and no one even acknowledges you - then the experience would not be a positive one.

A magic club can be fantastic for networking and the showcasing of new ideas, new friends, encouragement from your peers and so on. A club as large as mine can afford to bring in well known magicians from all over the world. Even smaller clubs often have guest lecturers and people can get together for sessions. So I guess my point of view is I am a fan of magic clubs. I've belonged to both SAM and IBM and have never regretted it as it only helped me along the way.

I hope you do give a club a chance and not rely on the experience of others to make your decision. Even if no one approaches you - there's nothing stopping you from approaching them and saying Hi. I try to remember how new members feel when walking into the room for the first time. Not just me but many of our members will offer a friendly greeting to a newcomer. This makes a huge difference on your perception of the club.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Chrystal
Pete W.
View Profile
New user
Coffeyville, KS
80 Posts

Profile of Pete W.
As an IBM member and SAM member with no "local" club nearby, when I travel I sometimes visit a club. I've always been treated as a friend....However, I do have a theory that quite a few magicians are basically shy people and take a little warming up to. But I can't think of a better hobby than magic to share with one another and develop long lasting friendships.
"Amatuers perform different tricks for the same people. Professionals perform the same tricks for different people."...Al Goshman
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
All I can say is "waste" an evening and go see for yourself if the local club is to your liking or not. I learned years ago that everyone has their own opinion's and that is what it is THEIR OWN, you go and make your own opinion, otherwise you will never know for yourself if it is a waste of time or time well spent. Don't let others dictate your opinions or tastes, be your own person.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
Clubs are made up of people and people are all different. I hate to leave 'me too' messages but everyone here is right. Go check them out. After all, a wonderful new friend or two might be just waiting at the next meeting and who has too many friends?
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
I've been a member of the IBM since the 1950s, when we used to have to drive 40 miles to the nearest club meeting.
(Also the SAM, but there is no assembly anywhere near me).
A magic club is like any other club: Some are good, some are bad; some are friendly; some are not; some are helpful, some are a waste of time.
But a magic club has one other advantage: It gives the performer a place to perfomr, in front of sympathetic fellow members. If something goes wrong, it's no big deal. The audience wants you to succeed.
Personally, I'd highly recommend most magic clubs.
DougE
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of DougE
It is not that I personally believe clubs to be a waste of time, as I said, I've never been to one, I just never had the time to go. My personal problem has always been time and location. I'm an American currently residing in another country and have moved 4 times in the last 4 years. I will be returning to the U.S. in the not too distant future and would certainly be interested in looking into a club wherever I happen to be living. At this current time it would not be possible.
It just seems that the only things I have ever heard about clubs has been negative, but that is not to infer that I have adopted these negative opinions as my own. Like I said, I like to keep an open mind. Doug
felixjr
View Profile
Loyal user
221 Posts

Profile of felixjr
I became a member of an IBM ring about a year ago. When I first went to the ring meeting, they allowed you to visit the meeting three times for free, unless there was a lecture then you had to pay $10.00. I found it a great place to learn from other people as well as having the opportunity to perform for an audience. I goofed up a few times, but later someone would come up and give me some advice or have a suggestion.

I have also learned how other people handle themselves on stage as well as some trick I have never seen before. All in all, its been very educational for me. I think you just have to go to a few meetings, wherever you move to and see for yourself.

Good Luck,

Felixjr
ryansmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Reading, PA
147 Posts

Profile of ryansmagic
Speaking as an IBM Ring president (Ring #57 The Mingus Magic Ring in Reading PA)(I like to make myself feel good by saying that). Our club is great because we have great people. With only around 20 members and an average meeting of 10 we have a good time. We try to have meetings that are fun and educational. We also try to do shows as a group, when we can, have lectures, and most importantly parties. Our motto is alomst "No preasure, No hype, just come hang out relax and have fun" and that's how I like it, good friends and good magic!

DougE,
If you move near eastern Pennsylvania we would love to have you at one of our meetings. Just say the word.
Ryan Parsons
[email]ryanparsons@comcast.net[/email]
http://www.magicformiracles.com
DougE
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of DougE
Ryan,
My brother is a Lower Providence police officer so you never know, I certainly could end up in your neck of the woods. He's always bugging me about my wife and I moving there and settling down.
I have not even spoken to another magician in years and often think that it would be nice to have some friends who share my interest in magic.
Thanks, Doug
EddyRay
View Profile
Special user
United States Of America
525 Posts

Profile of EddyRay
Nice hat and such ryan!

ON the topic of clubs, I feel if you find yourself with a great group of people, having fun, learning, performing, and making yourself better as a magican, as well as a better person then you have one great magic club.

Clubs need to keep things fresh and new. People sometimes tend to get in a regular pattern and to the average magic club go-er can start making things seem boring. It's important to get together as a group, not just on meeting nights, but other times. Perhaps for shows, lectures, parties etc. Being a past ring president of the Mingus Magic Ring 57 I have learned so much from all our club members.
Ricardo_magician
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of Ricardo_magician
Hi
I think magic clubs are great I go as much as I can I find that we all get along with each other and teach each other great things I don't know what I would do if there wasnt a magic club in my area.

Ricardo the Magician
jskalon
View Profile
Special user
Shorewood, IL.
869 Posts

Profile of jskalon
Is there much difference between SAM and IBM (different rules, different approach, etc.)? Or is it more a matter of which one you have access to? I am interested in joining one of them.
Jack Skalon

"That's my story and I'm stickin' to it"
Allan Olive
View Profile
Regular user
Charlotte
180 Posts

Profile of Allan Olive
Every club is different, and each has its own personality. I am sure there are some good ones and bad ones. Just don’t allow someone else’s opinion cloud your judgment before you have had the chance to check it out for yourself. Most rings would be glad to have you attend as a guest.

The best thing to me about joining a club is meeting people there who are interested in the same thing you are. As soon as you walk in you know that you have something in common with everyone there, and that’s magic. Remember, the best way to make friends in a new environment is to show yourself to be friendly.
spatrick
View Profile
Special user
Tom Sawyer let me whitewash these
517 Posts

Profile of spatrick
Doug,

If you are ever in Northeast PA (about 10 minutes from the NJ border) you can stop in and see us at any time. I belong two three local magic clubs and am the President of the one here in East Stroudsburg PA. in the Poconos. Our club had always had the motto of being friendly, outgoing, and supportive to members and guests.

Last March our club organized an open house to invite members from all three surrounding clubs and prospective new members to come check us out.

Our club has a gamit of pros, hobbyists, dealers, and supportive spouses who love to watch us entertain. As many in this thread have stated the club is the best place to perform in front of. They can often inspire, give tips to make a better performance, show an easier method, or just to support you if you try something and it doesn't quite work out.

I use my group to try out new ideas. I then can work out the finer points of a routine and streamline it into a great piece of magic.

Give the local club a try. You might be surprised.

S. Patrick
amerigo
View Profile
Veteran user
Can't believe I only have
318 Posts

Profile of amerigo
Living in the Chicagoland area I have access to many shops and clubs. The club I am a member of is Misdirections sponsered by PJ's Magic in Arlington Heights. This is a great club, we have a variety of magicians hobbyists as well as pros,they are all very helpful. Just like anything else there is good and bad. I have been to some clubs where you are treated as a stranger. I always try my best to be outgoing and approachable, I find if you are open and friendly most people will be the same.
Magic is Everywhere
Hekate
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of Hekate
Here's my 2 cents worth......
I definately think you should visit a club or two to make up your own mind. I have been going to club meetings for about 7 years now and the experience has been totally positive. Where I go is a club in Greensburg, Pa. and the attitude is fun, light and supportive whether you are a member or not. Although becoming a member is encouraged, you are not ever pressured to do so. The bottom line is that everyone there has a passion for magic and sharing the craft with others. No one is belittled or debased for being a newcomer or non-member. I hope that this helps your decision and if you're ever in Southwestern Pa. come to visit with the club!!!!
"It was magical. And excruciating....which made it all the more magical"
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
Wherever you are, there will always be good eggs and bad eggs. Just enjoy the magic !

Peace,

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
zur
View Profile
Special user
California
671 Posts

Profile of zur
Its friday today and I haven't gone to meetings on friday nights. Go figure! I tend to agree that if your not regular enough, you seem to feel out of place. And also when I go to a local IBM meeting, the people there seem to be socializing and not actually discussing magic. I'm actually learning more from reading, watching DVDs, and performing for people than going to those gatherings.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magic Clubs (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL