The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Polka dot paint (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
Does anyone remember polka dot paint? In the late 60s, it made a splash (sorry) and then seemed to disappear. I have done some long searches without sucess... It was a basic paint with color globules in it that broke in the painting process.
Slim
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Is this for real??? Sounds like a magic trick that would duplicate a cartoon.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
It is (was) real. I actually had some... It might be something to play with for an effect.
As I said, The dots were encapsulated in a base paint. Darned if I can find it now though...
Slim
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
I remember seeing this in an old Grants Magic Catalog I got from Callins Magic in Portland back in the early Seventies. It intrigued me but I never ordered it, nor ever saw it advertised again.
I found a single reference on the net to the stuff here
http://www.stormpages.com/whiggins/stadel1.htm
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
magicclock
View Profile

Edgar Hume
0 Posts

Profile of magicclock
Hello:
I'm also looking for the method for "polkadot paint" It's listed in Kanter catalogue #10 It's a gimic not a chemical-- it later transposes to stripes on the obverse..
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6206 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
It's so funny that you would mention this. I was in Hollywood Magic about a week ago and they had this effect collecting dust in the back. It's actually kind of weird. You have this wood sheet that's about a foot square and it's a generic color. You now dip your brush in a can that says polka dot paint and proceed to brush across the wood and it looks like you are painting on polka dots. Then you turn the wood around and dip into a can that says Strips and you brush on the wood and these stripes appear.

I'm not sure what they are selling it for and it just sits in the back... out of the way.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Woah..it's really weird seeing a post from Slim pop up now and again.

kind of creepy. ( Hey Slim!)

Brett.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL