The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » Breaking the 15 post barrier » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

backpalmmagic
View Profile
New user
Sacramento, California
69 Posts

Profile of backpalmmagic
Hi,

I was wondering if there might be a way--now or in the future--to set a user preference for how many posts and/or topics are shown on a single page.

Currently, it looks like 15 is the max. I have a cable modem so loading time is not much of a problem.

On busy days, it's quite possible that more than 15 topics will be addressed, and I'd love to have a "bird's eye" view of the last 30/60/90 (90!?) posts.

Thanks for the great work on board!
Bob Mills
Neuromancer
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of Neuromancer
good idea ... other boardshave this option and it is really quite helpful to see more than 15 posts on a page, especially when threads are longer then 3 or 4 pages.
cya

Neuromancer
Mary B.
View Profile
Café Tech Advisor
Howard City, Michigan
626 Posts

Profile of Mary B.
That could probably be done. I'll have to talk to Gene about it. He's the one who does all the coding on these scripts. Smile
Dr. Jakks
View Profile
Special user
832 Posts

Profile of Dr. Jakks
Oh, nice thinking.....but really it would be more sensical to have the page so that it shows 20 items unless there are more than 20 new items, in which it stretches. That would be some complex scripting, but it would make a great feature.

Jakks
Gene
View Profile
Café Forum Developer
Howard City, MI
444 Posts

Profile of Gene
It's a matter of server resources. The more posts shown on a page, the more database queries needed, and the more server resources needed to produce the page - at least with the scripts in use now. There are thousands of page views here each day, and the more limited number of posts reduces overall server load. I have tested some scripts to allow up to 50 posts per page, and those tests were decent, so maybe we'll see that in the future.
Somebody kick me off the computer, will ya? Smile Smile
backpalmmagic
View Profile
New user
Sacramento, California
69 Posts

Profile of backpalmmagic
Thanks for keeping it in mind!

Cheers,
Bob Mills
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » Breaking the 15 post barrier » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL