The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Proper Dealer Grip (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

itexus
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of itexus
I am trying to follow: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......1&55

And I don't know exactly how the dealer grip is.

And what is 'Classic Waterfall shuffle' & (with a bridge)?
And overhand shuffle?

maybe I already know all this but I want to be sure.
Michael Bradbury
View Profile
New user
Limassol, Cyprus
40 Posts

Profile of Michael Bradbury
The dealer grip is otherwise called the Mechanics Grip It's the Magician's basic way of holding the cards wich he uses in all his sleight and effects.

The Waterfall Shuffle with a bridge is a regular riffle shuffle but you bend the cards a bit so a bridge is created and they fall into eachother more easily.

The overhand shuffle is how a lay person shuffles the card.

I wouldn't be too sure if you already know these. I suggest you do yourself a favor and buy the Royal Road To Card Magic book by Jean Hugard and Frederick Braue.

Michael Bradbury
The %90 of the art of Magic is in your performance - not in your magic tricks
Toasty
View Profile
New user
Wales
36 Posts

Profile of Toasty
I would concur with Michael here. I started out with that book, and it is truly brilliant! Particularly if you want to focus on card magic. It teaches you most of the sleights and loads of effects. It also provides routines for when you become more accomplished. Its only a tenner or something. Enjoy!
life is magical-in one way or another...
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
It's also worth noting that at times you'll have to make adjustments to this grip in order to perform some moves. For example the deck might need to be moved forward or backwards in order to obtain a certain break such as a flesh break.

Just to simplify. The dealers grip is just what it suggests. It's how one would hold a deck when they are dealing cards.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
BlackShadow
View Profile
Special user
London UK
666 Posts

Profile of BlackShadow
You'll notice that when lay people deal they deal with the fingers of the left hand all under the pack. A magician or card sharp, will hold the cards with the left index finger at the front of the pack and the other fingers at the side pressing the deck into the base of thumb. This "mechanics" grip gives much more control on squaring the cards and is the basis for many false deals and lifts as well as other sleights.

By the way, I'd also recommend "Expert Card Technique" by the same authors once you have a basic knowledge of card handling.
itexus
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of itexus
Thank you all for your input.

But I'm not going to buy a book. Not now atleast..

Michael, I think I know what you mean on the waterfall shuffle.
The overhand shuffle I don't know. What is a 'lay' person? (excuse my lack of
words in the english language). Is it a 'lazy' shuffle?

Jaxon, yea I get what you are saying. But as I plan to become a magician
I think the proper dealer grip is pretty basic information Smile

Blackshadow, thanks for the description. But do you mean that
'the mechanics grip' is holding the deck with both hands?

Couldent anyone attach a picture of the mechanics grip here?
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
A "lay" person is someone, who has no wisdom and ideas about magic. People who know nothing about tricks and sleights, moves, props...etc. It has nothing to do with a specific "shuffle".

"Mechanics grip" is a single-handed grip.

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
Wendy Wylde
View Profile
New user
Aurora, Colorado
59 Posts

Profile of Wendy Wylde
Hi Itexus,

Quote:
But I'm not going to buy a book. Not now atleast..

<snip>

But as I plan to become a magician...

<snip>

Couldent anyone attach a picture of the mechanics grip here?

Wait a minute. If you're not buying books, and you don't have someone there to teach you magic (I'm just guessing since you don't have someone to show you this grip), how are you learning the magic with which to become a magician?

Hopefully not just off the internet. Because while the internet is a fantastic resource, it's a crappy way to learn magic. Even if your English isn't the best, most card books have lots of pictures.

You know where there would be pictures of the dealer's grip? In books. (shrug)

Wendy
If you have ghosts, you have everything....
itexus
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of itexus
I have a friend who is sending me videos and teaches me a lot via msn. But maybe I should buy a book. I was about to ask him, but he wasent online at the moment. And I don't think he appreciates that I ask him questions every minute etiher Smile

But ok, I will buy a book. I have decided that now. Thanks for your replies.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Check out "New To Magic/Recommended books for beginners " sections.
Best wishes
itexus
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of itexus
Already done that, thanks anyway. A buddy of mine recommended 'Card Collage Volume 1'. I think I'll go with that.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Proper Dealer Grip (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL