The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Can't you do what Derren Brown does? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
I was with a few mentalist (all fairly mental) friends, and this scenario came up;
You personally have been 'approached' by a production company to present a six-part 30 minute per episode mentalist TV show. (commissioned at £200k/$400k per show)
The production manager (lets call him Andy) pours you a glass of malt whisky (it's what they sometimes do I hear), looks you in the eye, and says:
"You know, we really have thought long and hard about who to approach to front this new venture. We have all the finance & technical back-up. But tell me, do you really believe you possess the presence and skills to give us something that would equal the presentation of say... a Derren Brown? Or should we be looking for someone else? And please I need an honest answer."

Scenarios can be fun. I believe we can learn from them. The question being asked here is: is there anyone out there who thinks thay could do what DB does? Or are you (yes you personally) fighting for the opinion that there's no way you're good enough?
I think it's important to stand and be counted every so often (right or wrong), so here goes...
I really really believe I'd answer yes AND would be able to pull it off.
Anyone else?...Hello?... Is this thing on?...Helloooooo?...C'mon!!!!!
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
Ian Broadmore
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of Ian Broadmore
To answer your question yes. I was approached by a satelite channel in 1999 to do a daytime TV show for Granada. I turned it down because they wanted me to explain how psychics/mediums, etc., fool people by exposing mentalist methods. It was a eight part series. Do I regret not doing it???. You bet...
Darko Dojin
View Profile
Regular user
DGAF
163 Posts

Profile of Darko Dojin
The question should be, do other people think you can do what Derren does? Subjective opinions count for nothing and voicing an opinion that you can do what Derren does makes you sound like a egocentric tit. Even if you honestly think you can do it, then do it. Don't voice your opinion on something like this until you have proven yourself.
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
No - I have my own style.

Did I win?
johne
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of johne
I would probably say no, but still would have been able to pull it off...heck they have all the finance and technical backup.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
Not bad Salsa, but I'm hoping for more from you. C'mon, I just know you've got some good Scots blood in you. Commit with Ian Broadmore and me.

I was also hoping that 'Drewmcadam' and 'Shrink' would throw their celtic hats into the arena.
"Here's tae us, wha's like us, nae money, and they're a' deid!"
Harry H
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of Harry H
Definitely. You should see my presentation of Smoke and my magic square!! That's all it takes isn't it? Besides, the camera crew will do the most work in the edit suite! Smile Smile
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Quote:
On 2005-01-08 13:29, bobser wrote:
Not bad Salsa, but I'm hoping for more from you. C'mon, I just know you've got some good Scots blood in you. Commit with Ian Broadmore and me.

I was also hoping that 'Drewmcadam' and 'Shrink' would throw their celtic hats into the arena.
"Here's tae us, wha's like us, nae money, and they're a' deid!"

Bwahaha!

I am already developing ideas for TV. I am that good. I just need to polish a few things and wahey!
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
It is a pity though, don't you think? I mean if you can sing or act there's a chance you get a record deal or a part in a movie.
No one would say "I'm sorry but this country has already a got a guy doing singin (or acting)". But in the magic/mentalist world that's what we have.
Just 'for arguments sake' I would put forward the hypothesis that if for example Luke Jermay were twice as good as DB 'Objective' (the production company) would NOT take him on (as a one man mentalist). And neither would anyone else IMO.
So it saddens me when some young up and coming guys who have learned they're trade and truly believe in themselves are told by 'some' who have never seen they're work (for example wouldn't know if they have already won national championships awards)that their opinions are merely subjective. I think we really need to start believing in ourselves and fellow artists. You for example Salsa seem to be trying all sorts of things.
Darko Dojin
View Profile
Regular user
DGAF
163 Posts

Profile of Darko Dojin
I'm of the opinion that even if you know your self worth, you shouldn't voice it obviously. Let others sing your praises. By saying 'I'm great, look at me, I'm the mutt's nuts' is tacky and serves no purpose except to raise expectation. If you think you can do it, do it, let your actions and achievements speak for you. Don't say you're as good as Derren and that you could do his job expecting some kind of ratification from others on this site. Don't say it, prove it.
BonzoTheClown
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of BonzoTheClown
Quote:
fool people by exposing mentalist methods. It was a eight part series. Do I regret not doing it???. You bet...

You regret not exposing...sigh.

Marc Climens
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Quote:
On 2005-01-08 20:48, BonzoTheClown wrote:
Quote:
fool people by exposing mentalist methods. It was a eight part series. Do I regret not doing it???. You bet...

You regret not exposing...sigh.

Marc Climens

He is still allowed to regret a missed opportunity. It speaks volumes that he had the opportunity and turned it down. No need to get on his back about his regrets.
Rabbitless Hat
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Rabbitless Hat
The original question on this thread actually sounds like a great title for a Derren Brown special.

Tonight on Channel 4....Could anyone be Derren Brown???

He could show the process of picking the perfect volunteer to be trained personally by him for 2 months(say). Then they could drop the trainee into the middle of some town or country and see if the trainee can duplicate what Derren does. Or use Derren type techniques to overcome some new challenges. Derren could do the voice over commentary and critique or swoop in and rescue the situation if the trainee gets fouled up or panics. I'd tune in ..... or volunteer. Smile
"Too much flourish for the magicians. Too much magic for the flourishers."
art the magic guy!
View Profile
Regular user
back in the USA, FINALLY!!
159 Posts

Profile of art the magic guy!
Mr Ian, you regret not revealing the methods or turning down an opportunity to be on T.V.?

no amount of $$ will be sufficient for me to reveal the works of any effects to a lay audience. it's the only bond we have as magicians/mentalist: never reveal the secrets to the laymen. but there are their times----

I had a person walk up to me after a performance and offer me 100$ for evey "trick" that I showed how is done. The key part for me there was the word "show", he never mentioned teach nor learn. So I knew he was a poser that only wanted to know how it's done so he can bust someone else later or just to satisfy his need to "not be left out." At the same time I went back to my native Brazil for vacation and went to a few villages to expose their "magic men" by actually doing the same stunts they did,(walk on fire, make a card float, dip my hands in boiling cooking oil without getting burned, etc.) and revealing how they are done, and threw in some extra stunts that they could not even do(the swami effect had one of the magic men go to his knees and beg for mercy from the demons...) all for free, after I learned that this "magic men" were extorting the poor into giving them all their possesions and even go so bold to demand to sleep with their daughters to cure their sick children or to keep their dying family members alive by using their spells and contacts with the spirits. In this case these people needed to know the truth, instead of living in extreme poverty with no food nor a house and with a hope that this man might save them, something which he was not going to.

So everything has it's time. I sometimes regret not showing that rich man a few silly secrets ( could have made a few 1000$ just by showing couple double lifts and a deck switch) but in the end I know I did the right thing. I to this day do not regret setting those villagers free of the opression those wannabes had on them, they now live prosperously and thank me whenever I go back and visit them(even ask me to do some mentalism for them!)because I did the right thing!!!
I AM AN AMERICAN SOLDIER
I will ALWAYS place the mission first
I will NEVER accept defeat
I will NEVER quit
I will NEVER leave a fallen comrade
----I AM AN AMERICAN SOLDIER----
Ian Broadmore
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of Ian Broadmore
Mr Darko is that donnie??. To answer your question. If I have a TV company approach ME (I did not approach them ) then I consider myself professional enough to perform. For your information I do not seek public fame or adoration as do many on here I seek money pure and simple. I have appeared on BBC radio, been featured in The Mail on Sunday, the sunday express and the daily mail .I stated yes I can do a tv series I do not and would not wish to emulate DB or any other mentalist. I consider myself unique in that my performance is ME and not modeled on or copied from anyone else.I am not egocentric , In fact I'm the reverse quite introverted in my "normal" life. my professional persona is entirely different. franky I don't give a rats a*** for your opinions. you don't know me, or what I have achieved in my lifetime. DB is very much in the public eye due to TV exposure. tell me honestly how many more TV specials do you think are viable in view of the limited ammount of scenarios ie guess which hand, duplications etc. P daniels had a great TV career which suffered due to overexposure and the way TV eats up creativity. I know of a UK mentalist who is not known by the public but performs professionally, full time and earns over £300K a year. Why do you think we don't see him on TV ?. Personally I know my abilities and I KNOW what I can do and more importantly what I WILL do. Do you ?. or are you a hobyist or armchair performer??. Its easy to have a go and hide behing an anonoymous name and face.And to claryfy I AM DOING IT!! full time, nice living thanks very much. PS/ I have been approached by a TV company to do a series on psychology/mysticism in the year, why? because those that count KNOW I am a professional and can deliver the goods. Can you?....

Final point. I regret not taking a TV opportunity and exploiting it. I don't regret turning down exposure which I am totally against. But life runs in cycles and the opportunity will come again (it has in December).
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
Ian , I agree with you about TV appearances . I can name several well known comedians who made a very good living on the working mens club/night club scene probably with the same gags/patter every night because no-one hade heard them before. Once they had "arrived" and got their spot on TV everyone had instantly seen their material so it made performing /travelling more difficult and the need to employ script writers even more.

Howard
Jim Reynolds
View Profile
Elite user
Special Guest
431 Posts

Profile of Jim Reynolds
Quote:
Can't you do what Derren Brown does?

Sure!

Like DB, I can safely say that the average Joe (outside of the UK) has never heard of me.

;P
BonzoTheClown
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of BonzoTheClown
Quote:
The Mail on Sunday, the sunday express and the daily mail

Ouch.. Smile

Marc Climens
Ian Broadmore
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of Ian Broadmore
Bonzo , say it all........
Gordon Fisher
View Profile
Regular user
Derby, England
193 Posts

Profile of Gordon Fisher
Quote:
On 2005-01-08 12:10, Ian Broadmore wrote:
To answer your question yes. I was approached by a satelite channel in 1999 to do a daytime TV show for Granada. I turned it down because they wanted me to explain how psychics/mediums, etc., fool people by exposing mentalist methods. It was a eight part series. Do I regret not doing it???. You bet...

so you regret not doing this series that you know involed exposing mentalists secrets? if that is true then your a ....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Can't you do what Derren Brown does? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL