The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Can't you do what Derren Brown does? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Ian Broadmore
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of Ian Broadmore
No.. I regret not exposing mediums and psychics who exploit the grief of others for their gain. It would have been great to expose them without exposing mentalist methods but I decided it conflicted and turned it (and a considerable ammount of money down) Its called ethics. Something you probably don't have. It amazes me on this forum the ammount of people that are happy to have a go at you for being honest, and who them selves have done b***** all with their own lives.Let alone performed professionally for a living . Get real, wake up and smell the coffee.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
I simply cannot believe how any one can attack what Ian Broadmore has said.
The guy has been totally honest. Given his beliefs whilst at the same time being aware that he 'might' have taken the coin. (but he never)
What's the big deal? leave the guy alone!
I have this thing about 'holier than thous'.. I reckon they've just never been offered enough and that like everone else... they have a price.
That price might be a million dollars or in Darko Dojin's case 'a vocabulary'. Or even in 'the guy who saves total village's' case: a little bit of modesty!
They've NEVER been offered, but Ian has... and he said NO!
Unless of course he's lying, and he really is the masked magician? B*****D!!!
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
DJP
View Profile
Veteran user
London
391 Posts

Profile of DJP
Ian I support your arugument, I have recently been speaking to a family friend of mine who has been making decisions on her life via a psychic, so I thought I would inform her about the technique that fake psychics used, which we all know is 'cold reading'!

I regard this more important than keeping a secret about a certain technique.

Dave
David
Burnt
View Profile
New user
England
66 Posts

Profile of Burnt
I think in terms of the scenario played above it would be best to ask more questions. Everyone has their own style and so if you were to do a show you would want to confirm that when they said they wanted a 'derren brown' the were talking about a magician/mentalist for a tv show. Not for someone who would be considered to be 'derren brown 2'.

Personally if they were asking for a mentalist for a tv show, depending on the context, then I would gladly think about it and most likely say 'yes'.
If they want a new derren brown then I would say 'no.' because I want to have a tv show based on my magic and style and not copied from anyone.

So could I try and work in a tv show doing magic for entertainment for viewers? Yes I think I could and would very much like to.
Could I try to be derren brown 2? No, I wouldn’t even want to consider it.
Gordon Fisher
View Profile
Regular user
Derby, England
193 Posts

Profile of Gordon Fisher
Ian broadmore has had a severe attitude since he started here at the Café, I have a problem with people who change their tune at the drop of a hat, he plainly said he the show he turned down involved exposing mentalist secrets and he regrets turning it down, in my view that makes him a (insert whatever) and then has the nerve to ask what ive done with my life, a hell of a lot more than you broadmore, but its just a shame you will never know
pseudomentally yours

Look doc Hilfords got a mini-me
mike stevenson
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of mike stevenson
Why do people feel the need to tell others they can do what Derren does? What does this prove, apart from giving you the opportunity to exercise your egos?
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
Mike, read the initial question mate.
The scenario is that 'you' have just been asked by a producer with a six-part series for 'you' and all he's asking is: are 'you' as good as (not a clone) Derren Brown?
This has got nothing to do with a person's ego in any way shape or form. Unfortuanely cretins (did I spell that ok?) like dark dojin simply can't get their 2 oz of grey matter around that. They would prefer to simply insult the enquirer, in a most uncerebral way.
It's a simple question that requires a yes or a no or a none reply. Not lesser talents who also possess lesser manners.
They say that to be successful in life we need to always be looking out for openings. Imagine then, just for a second, that I am actually linked to a TV production company and I would like to know if there's anyone in the Café who 'believes in themselves'. Because if you don't then sure as hell no one else does.
IMHO I truly believe I know several mentalists/magicians/actors who are at least of the same qualitative persona as DB. But 'it is not their deisre to appear in a TV production. Remember DB was NOT 'Objective's' first choice.
However, I accept that others claim they are totally fascinated by him and they have NEVER EVER witnessed anyone that good. That's cool with me.
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
Assuming you could...would anyone still be talking about it three days after the show.......like you lot are doing now?

Howard
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Bobser,
I just ran across this.
I may not be as good as Brown, but I could sure convince the producer that I was hot.
Peace,
Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
966 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
First: Ian is just honest, I can understand that he regrets it (a bit). But keep in mind, he turned the offer down!

It's not really about Derren I guess, it's about TV producers who want a show just like Mind Control or Trick of the mind. A german mentalist was asked to do the same thing and he just failed. He was copying some of the Brown-stuff. You can't have success if you copy presentation and style of another performer (especially when it's Derren).

I'm young and I'm dumb but I think that many of us would have the potential to at least fool the producers and really convince them that we're hot (just as Parson said) and deserve the chance to get a show.
And maybe we can do even better stuff than Derren. Why not?
I'm not willing to say: "Derren is on top of the game (he clearly is) and nobody will ever be better than him."

Greetz
Rick
"Reality is what you can get away with."
Robert A. Wilson

"Think for yourself and question authority."
Timothy Leary
Roki
View Profile
Special user
London
743 Posts

Profile of Roki
I am curious .For those that know Derren , is his public persona based on who he is or is it also scripted , exxxaggerated , constructed . He seems eloquent and very sharp in performance .
I definitely couldn't do what Derren does on TV without acting lessons , some kind of personality enhancement and possibly plastic surgery , but if/then I would love to be Bobsers new obsession and have my own thread here at the heart of Café society .. oh and I want my own lava lamp , bigger than Derrens.
Thomas Rudolfo
View Profile
Special user
Vienna, Austria, EU
640 Posts

Profile of Thomas Rudolfo
Well, nice posts by Parson, Rick and Roki. There's a lot or thruth in Ricks post. Thnkas Rick. ANd I even want to go a step futher.

Basicly I am a man who admire the work of many like RIchard, Banachek ...and of course Derren. But I never would make god out of them. In fact its like with singers or other artists. There are many performers out there who are at least as good ad Derren. But like singers, Derren had the posibility, concept and the right people around him at the tv station who and some luck of course. But important is that they just in case want to give advice if they feel and Derren is the person who makes the decisions (most of the time)

Why I know that. Well until now I didn't meet Derren personally but I know a man who worked for channel4 and the production company of Mind control until he quit recently. And he told me that Derren is not exact same person private than on TV of course but quite close.
Derren did produce some of his things for Mind Control 3, which will be aired in march 2006, here in Vienna in September. Unfortuantely I wasn't in VIenna at those time since I had mental work around Austria.
But I heared that it could be, not sure, that they come back here to VIenna to produce some more stuff. Then I try to makie an appointment with Derren. Could be really interesting to meet him ;-))

So Derren has build up TV specials that are entertaining and you really enjoy to watch as I do. But IMO we all, who performs mentalism, could do such successful tv specials. IF WE STAY NATURAL (Thanks Professor Vernon ;-)). And that's the key IMO. AS mentioned in other threads that is the failure many other performers or better TV-station make like the one in germany Rick was referring to.

SO that's the reason why his shows look quite real and natural. You never can successful copy an original on TV. It's the same to successful TV series or game shows. Especially here in Austria. Sometimes they even are embarrasingly weak.

Many TV producers try to copy a complete successful show regardless if the concept and style fits the casted performer. But at the end, like RIck mentioned, you as a performer cannot win. THe tragedy is that its not the TV producer who suffers but the performer who is talented and smart person but never could show that.

So if you plan to do a special on TV IMO the most important job is to find a TV station who will accept your concept and your persona. If not than stay away. There is so much good work for mentalists at coporate shows or theaters.

Just my thoughts on this.

Greetings
Thomsa
Think positive and you'll see, how beautiful your life can be!

www.der-mentalist.net
Thomas Rudolfo
View Profile
Special user
Vienna, Austria, EU
640 Posts

Sorry for my typos folks but sometimes when I write passionately and quite fast about a topic this could happen. Smile

Thomas

www.der-mentalist.net
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
966 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
Thank you very much indeed!
"Reality is what you can get away with."
Robert A. Wilson

"Think for yourself and question authority."
Timothy Leary
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
I was just a kid when I set up this thread.
Since then I've gone off Derren Brown. His stuff is now 'old world'. But I need to know:
Is Darko Dojin still working in a pub, practicing his Elmslie Count?
Mark Roberts
View Profile
Special user
Nottingham, UK
597 Posts

Profile of Mark Roberts
Bobser,

You should have been auditioned for Dirty Tricks(Ch4). I've seen you're online vid and it would have suited you to the ground Smile

Marcus
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5020 Posts

Profile of landmark
Derren's got:

high intelligence,
lots of creativity,
entertaining effects
boldness in method and execution,
good sleight of hand chops,
excellent performance skills,
attractive audience personality
a coherent character
an artistic approach

I think he sets the bar pretty darn high.

No I can't.

But sometimes you have to lie and say you can and then do your best. Under the right conditions it could help you become better.

Jack Shalom
SteeleFusion
View Profile
Regular user
Glasgow, Scotland
106 Posts

Profile of SteeleFusion
I can do the crazy mans handcuffs...Does that mean I can be David Copperfield?
Craig Steele : MindFusion

www.Craig-Steele.co.uk
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
Quote:
On 2005-11-24 20:03, migit61 wrote:
Bobser,

You should have been auditioned for Dirty Tricks(Ch4). I've seen you're online vid and it would have suited you to the ground Smile
Marcus

Marcus, thanks. You're right. I'm very talented & very very funny. I would have been much better than that pair: 'Stuart & Barry'. But as you know by viewing the vid, I'm still young and quietly awaiting my chance.
The problem is I allowed myself to get romantically involved with 5 members of the 'Objective'crew during the commissioning, one of them being Andrew O'conner (at his instigation I may add). That obviosly caused a lot of problems. So, as you can imagine, they got Pete Firman to ask me to leave. He's so... determined!

Regards,
Bobser
Thomas Rudolfo
View Profile
Special user
Vienna, Austria, EU
640 Posts

Yes Craig. Nice Post. I like your ironical line. Smile

And it further means that David Copperfild can be Arthur Setterington, who created the effect, or Daryl or Ammar who performed it before.

And all this leads me to write some points and opinions. I don't want to offend but rather to make think a little bit about all this.

So well, the answer to the question of this thread would be YES, of course. Every mentalist could do this! Could I said.
WHY?

Well, again I want to mention that I really enjoy to watch Derren and like most, not all, of his shows.
But I'm also a man who doesn't like to raise people as god. Derren uses basic principles of magic, mentalism and psychology. Mixed with some clever editing and on some effects he tries 10 times until it works and this one is shown on TV.

The result is a great show full of entertainment, fun and amazement.
So the key point is as I mentioned on another thread to do this stuff in your own style and then you could be as successful if you have been around the right people (channel 4) at the right time to get the contract for the specials.

The reason I write all this is, that instead of trying to copy Derren 100% (like other Tv stations did) one should try such effects with own styling, words and byplay. Then you also can create the same amazement like Derren if you would appear on TV.

Its a sad tendency of human nature to copy great performers up to 100% and then they wonder and are putting curses on the whole world because the world doesn't admire them like they do with the other performer.

These are the times when I feel like in Kindergarden. Derren is Derren, DC is DC, Osterlind is Osterlind and YOU are YOU.

Like we all can learn from them they also can learn from You. They are also just human with no more special powers than you.

They very often work the same methods like you but they had the right concept at the right time for the right people with the needed money and thus they are maybe more famous now than you. And they deserve this. Of coure it could have been you. But maybe sometimes it IS you.

Take awway the cameras, big budget. Imagine they are a performer like you at an event. They present their program and you yours. And it can be you at this event who gets the bigger applause. Because they didn't know of the fame of the one performer. SO they just judge the real performance.

Its like an unknown artist paints a picture and then some very potent people donate this is a new unknown Picasso. The unknown never would have sold this at thousands of dollars. But with the right ad in the media it plays.
that's the problem of todays world in many domains aside mentalism. that's the power of media. It can be great but we all should observe this with a good protion of critics.

So enjoy Derren and all the other great performers and maybe learn from them. But donÄt waste time to try to be as exact as this man. Maybe use some stuff of them but present it your way.

So I just had the urge to write this. Please forgive if sometimes my passion went along in this post. But I had to say this once.

Greetings
Thomas

www.der-mentalist.net
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Can't you do what Derren Brown does? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL