The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Mark Wilson's Rigid Rope (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
cheaptrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Wilmington, Delaware
251 Posts

Profile of cheaptrick
I've tried to construct Wilson's Rigid Rope (from "Cyclopedia of Magic", and his "Magic Course").

Ran into a problem, tho.

The gimmick always ends up penetrating the
shell. (hope I haven't revealed too much)

Anybody know where I can get some rope that
has a CLOSELY-woven outer casing?

I've thought about parachute cord as an option, but the stuffs too thin to be believable.

ANY IDEAS?? Smile Smile Smile
"Pick any card. NOT that one!!!"
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Magician's rope SHOULD work, even without coring it.
Maybe you are trying to put the gimmick in too quickly and it's puncturing the casing?
Maybe?
cheaptrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Wilmington, Delaware
251 Posts

Profile of cheaptrick
hi Peter

Actually in the Wilson version, the rope has to be cored, and the gimmick is permanently installed.

I tried melting the ends of the gimmick (puts
a round ball of "stuff", but it still came through.

I'll bet if I epoxied a larger thing (say, a bead about the inside diameter of the cored rope), it might work.

Other than that, I'll have to find "tougher" rope or forget about the project.

Thanks for the reply.

Smile
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5274 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Cheaptrick, It could be that the gimmick that you are using is too small a diameter. I use a brand that is about 1/8inch diameter and it does not poke through the weaving of the rope.

By the way if you know the dancing cane look at illustration three (page 255) and imagine the gimmick for the dancing cane placed just about half way up from the lower hand. The rope can be manipulated a la’ the cane and viola’ you have the Indian Rope trick in miniature.

Hope this helps!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
cheaptrick,
Are you using magician's rope?
I use it for my version of the Square Knot, which requires coat-hanger wire run through part of the length.
And I've never had a problem with it.
Mumblepeas may be onto something; a larger diameter of solder might be the answer.
cheaptrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Wilmington, Delaware
251 Posts

Profile of cheaptrick
I use a rope that I bought from a dealer, and the solder was 1/8 (actually silver solder). I'm beginning to suspect that the rope this dealer sold me, while good for certain uses (easily cored, and soft, is not especially suitable for this particular effect. I may try sashcord (the kind of rope that is used in old-fashioned windows).

The drawback is that this stuff is relatively expensive. SHOULD DO THE TRICK, though.

THANX!!

Smile

Here's a followup,

I tried REAL sashcord. I found it in a True Value Hardware store.

The problem with this stuff is that AFTER you core it, there isn't room for the solder to slide.

It's tough to core. It took a good 15 minutes to core 6 feet.

THIS STUFF IS GREAT FOR MOST ROPE TRICKS, just not right for this effect. It is fairly soft and pliable (when cored), HAS GREAT HANDLING CHARACTERISTICS, and LOOKS better than the rather aneamic-looking rope I've bought from the dealer.

Cost is comparable. About $7 something for 50 feet.

If I want to add the Wilson effect to my act, I'll just have to keep experimenting with rope.

My suspicion is that they just don't make closeline like they used to when Mark first wrote his book.

It's a pretty decent effect. I remember many years ago watching someone perform it on television.

It was probably Wilson, himself, as he used to do a regular TV show.

Well, thanks for the help.

I'm still looking for the right rope.

Smile
Dano
View Profile
Loyal user
Centerville, OH
240 Posts

Profile of Dano
Yep, I had the same problem, the weave on the pre-cored rope was just too loose. Smile
"Magic" is merely an illusion, but "Perception" is reality!
Geoff Ray
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Geoff Ray
I put the solder in without coring the rope. I don't have to hold it in place and the trick can still be performed just as well
trainerjep
View Profile
Loyal user
242 Posts

Profile of trainerjep
I dipped mine in glue. It's always stiff Smile
It's not the size of the wand,
but the magic in it !
ClodAppleleft
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester, NH
195 Posts

Profile of ClodAppleleft
Another thing to do is try tying off the ends with white thread.
There are many different ways to cut an apple.
leonard
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
141 Posts

Profile of leonard
cheaptrick,
I just read through this trick in the past week. I will be trying it shortly and will post any success / failure.
WVMAGIC
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of WVMAGIC
I tried the Wilson method and couldn't get it to work for me either. I bought a commercial stiff rope for around $15. The rope does everything the Wilson technique does more cleanly and consistently. I won't look back.
Dan Monroe
View Profile
Loyal user
Indiana
209 Posts

Profile of Dan Monroe
The problem I have is the gimmick won't slide from end to end. Gets hung up in the rope. Smile
The power is within us all...I'm just a little more full of it.
danmonroe.bravehost.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
http://www.stevensmagic.com has a killer indian hindu rope and a routine I use kills... not very expensive either.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
Could you get a small bead and attach that to the end of the solder, both ends if need be. Solder is soft, so you could certainly file it down just right to fit into the beads hole, then a drop of super glue should hold it quite well. Might work. I monkeyed with this years ago but was not that taken with it even though it did work as I recall.
quack
magictim
View Profile
Veteran user
Fayetteville, Arkansas
396 Posts

Profile of magictim
I used 1/8 '' nylon rope I cored. I melted the ends when I put it in. I haven't ever had a problem and I have performing it in my shows for about 3 years now.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
13989 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
It's been years since I constructed this effect, but as I recall, different brands of solder gave me different results. Just a tip.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Any good stained glass store will have several types and diameters of solder to choose from. 60/40 and 50/50 are the most popular two alloys. Each has a different melting point for different kinds of glass work, and the alloys are definitely different in stiffness as well. You might find one more suitable for this effect.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21976 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Cheaptrick,

You are using the wrong rope. The rope on the market today is not suitable for this trick. When the book was written, a common magician's rope was on the market that was made of all cotton, and very tightly woven outer tube. The core was 3 strings of cotton string. The core was easily removed.

The company was in Tenn. and as is common now a days has been purchased several times. So the company has been lost to many magic dealers because they purchase such a large amount, it takes years to sell. Then when they try to reorder, they cannot find the company.

I still have some of this rope and will send it some scraps to you for postage. I have PM you.

Bill
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Quote:
On 2003-12-01 12:48, Pete Biro wrote:
http://www.stevensmagic.com has a killer indian hindu rope and a routine I use kills... not very expensive either.

Pete,
Do you know what it's called? Or if they still have it? I've searched their site and can't find anything close.

Thanks,
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Mark Wilson's Rigid Rope (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL