The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Ricky Jay Sleights? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15874 Posts

Profile of tommy
I love Ricky Jay but I am not sure if I know any sleights of his. Has he invented any, and if so what are they?

Regards

Tommy
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Leeman
View Profile
Special user
Hollywood, CA
709 Posts

Profile of Leeman
He is very secretive. I am pretty sure that he has never published any tricks and I doubt he every will.
jtcavataio
View Profile
Regular user
174 Posts

Profile of jtcavataio
I'm pretty sure he invented throwing a card through a full grown rhino, or something like that...
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2005-01-08 21:27, jtcavataio wrote:
I'm pretty sure he invented throwing a card through a full grown rhino, or something like that...

Okay, that's kind of funny. Smile
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15874 Posts

Profile of tommy
Not tricks but sleights.

Have you seen him do a card effect that could not be explained by known sleights?

If you should see him around, tell him I am going to report him for cruelty to animals and card guys if he does not write a book on card magic soon.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27065 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
The guy was a student of the classics and part of the Vernon gang as I recall. He was not known for inventing tricks so much as taking gems from old books and putting them into performance.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15874 Posts

Profile of tommy
Thanks Johnathan

I do not read his name mentioned in any books that I have. I know from Jimmy that, he has met him, and that Jay knew Ed Marlo.
I know Mr Jay is a great expert on the history of magic it does not surprise me he is a student of the classics. I do not know what the classics of card magic are now I think about it. Erdnase springs to mind but what other books are regarded as classic study. Are they classic just because they are old or is there a well known list that one should study?

Best regards

Tommy

Tommy
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Ricky was an early student of Slydini. He even has some pictures with a suit on that Slydini MADE FOR HIM. Like a white tux. I think he called himself "Tricky Ricky" at the time. His grandfather was a well known NY magician named Max Katz.

Ricky learned a lot in NY, then to California and the Castle, hanging with Vernon, Diaconis, Charlie Miler and others. He does not believe in tipping material and gets upset at the way magicians treat secrets so poorly.

I brought him to Europe to meet Fred Kaps and Ken Brooke, as well as Pat Page.

One of his closest pals is Steve Freeman, a top card handler himself.

Ricky is well read and a MAJOR collector and historian. He has great taste in material aned works with people like Stienmeyer and Johnny Gaughan for his props.

His relationship with cine director David Mamet has gotten him into movies.

He does not "hang" at the Magic Castle anymore.

I doubt if he will ever publish any magic or lecture to magicians. It just doesn't seem to be something he's interested in.

I haven't been with him for a few years, but to my knowledge he really isn't into creating sleights, but into mastering them.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15874 Posts

Profile of tommy
Thanks very much Pete for that great info. I have been a fan for a long time but I knew little about his learning so to speak. I have seen little of his work but what I have seen, I have loved.

Now, what on earth has happened to your mits? I hope you are OK.
I hope Tricky did not do that for giving us the info! Smile

Best Regards

Tommy

Tommy
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
The best thing to do his get some of his early work--all out of print--like "Learned Pigs and Fire Proof Women" and "Ricky Jay's Big Book of Magic" which tips some of his more subtle card work, his unique Run Rabbit Run routine, along with lots of impromptu magic that can be done for kids.

You may have to change around some of the patter, which was great for the really bright kids, but may be a little esoteric for the average birthday party crowd.

For example, the Cockney slang translation of Francois Villon's classic poem about mountebanks, thimble-riggers, hookers and cut-purses which plays well for the children of the "New Yorker" crowd but should be re-worked into hip-hop for the LA kids.

I understand that he has not performed in those white tails for many years, and rumor has it that David Mamet made him sell both the suit and his handsome beard and long hair to comedy magician Larry Wilson in the early eighties.

Hope this helps.
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Thanks to Mr. Haydn and Mr. Biro for the great info on one of my all time favorite card workers! That's great stuff, guys!
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Max Malini was born - Max Katz Breit... Any connection or relation to Ricky Jay?
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5260 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
I don't believe there's any relation even though Ricky Jay's grandfather was named Max Katz...just a coincidence.
cgscpa
View Profile
Elite user
Ashton, MD
447 Posts

Profile of cgscpa
There was an excellent article about Ricky Jay in the June 2004 issue of Smithsonian Magazine . You can see it here:

http://tinyurl.com/5pcvx
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15874 Posts

Profile of tommy
Thanks for the info guys. "Ricky Jay's Big Book of Magic" is one I never heard of, I will try to get it.

I have question about His 52 Assistants and "Learned Pigs and Fire Proof Women"
I know or think the latter is a book but is it also a film. I have seen these offered for sale on a cd but it is a rip off, said to be taken from the tv recording! I would like to see it but I want to buy the original, so is the original available? It has been years since I saw him on TV. I am a bit sure it was His 52 Assistants and "Learned Pigs and Fire Proof Women in two programs that I last saw him do his stuff with cards.

Tommy
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Tommy: That was a joke. There is no such book.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15874 Posts

Profile of tommy
Donald duck! I have searched the world in the meantime looking for "Ricky Jay's Big Book of Magic" LOL

Tommy
Bill Wells
View Profile
Elite user
Lexington, VA
457 Posts

Profile of Bill Wells
I cannot imagine that Ricky would EVER have any interest whatsoever in publishing anything in the way of effects and/or explanations or in giving a how to do magic lecture for magicians. I would agree with what others have said regarding Ricky's primary interest being in the becoming the master of sleights and performance rather than the creator.

Whit - I am still laughing at your post! Pete - he deserves one of your rewards for that one!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
OK, I'll stop saying "Whit Happens" for awhile! That is prize enough.

I forgot one thing about Ricky. He went to college for awhile, I think in Syracuse, NY, studying hotel management (or something like that).

One of his KILLER SHOWS was at McCabe's Guitar Store in Santa Monica, CA.

He had four stooges in the audience. Myself, Dai Vernon, his lawyer pal Steward Gordon and a woman friend that could do great card manipulations. I just can't pull her name out of my feeble rain soaked brain, but her sister was on Saturday Night Live.

Anyway, the routine was he asked for volunteers and we all came on stage PLUS A LAYMEN... who he didn't expect!

The premise was he was going to hypnotize all of us and then we could ALL DO THE CARD FLOURISHES.

He lined us up with Gordon first, then Vernon and the lady -- the layman -- and I was last.

He did the bogus hypnotic crap... and we all pretended to be in a bit of a daze... BUT THE LAYMEN WENT OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He then goes one at a time and does some flourishes and each does them pretty well like Ricky.

Vernon, says, "I don't know if I can do that, I've NEVER MUCH HANDLED CARDS." heheheh...

He gets to the layman and he cannot do the moves. Ricky tried to be easy, with just fan, I believe, but the guy fails.

My turn. I figured we don't want the guy to feel bad, so I decide to FAIL EVEN MORE and spill all the cards on the floor.

Being me, hee hee... I drop to my knees and try to pick up the cards and make even more mess... finally I get 'em gathered up and on the next try do OK.

Ricky thanks us and with baloney fake hyp talk tells us we are out of our trances and will not remember anything we did.

Ricky then does more of his usual stuff and at the end of his show decided to TIP that we were all his friends and it was a put on, except for the one guy. He had each of us stand and told who we were, etc.

SHOW OVER... we are packing up and the laymen came over and said, to Ricky, "I want to thank you so much fro hypnotizing me... I just love being hypnotized."

Ricky and I look at each other, shrug and thank the guy.

Boy was that fun, and WHAT I WOULD GIVE FOR A VIDEO OF IT... but none exist.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15874 Posts

Profile of tommy
Cool Pete. Thanks for sharing that with us.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Ricky Jay Sleights? (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL