The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Okay, which one (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Ok I have Bobo's and revolutionary coin magic, and its all great. I have been doing close up for about 8 years but never really got into money or coin magic. I am looking for the BEST DVD set there is. I hear Roth and many others, I wish to know the best one. And if someone is selling their set, let me know. If I like the price I will buy it now. But I am looking for top notch stuff here. Not so much shells but all impromptu and stuff. Let me know brothers.
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
It all depends. Some are great for this, some are great for that.

Overall, yes, Roth is great! (only my opinion though). He has some very good stuff, gaff, and non gaff. I know nothing about Curtis, but he is loved by many, and Jon Townsend ( a guy who really knows his stuff)suggested him to me. Currently I have been looking into some Geoff Latta material, from "Coin Magic" by Kaufman (book). His stuff is very nice, and advanced (opinion, again). Typically it seems like the best, hardcore magic, is in the books, not the DVDs, but you CAN still get some very good stuff from DVDs.

Rmax Goodwin
rmaxgoodwin.com
https://rmaxgoodwin.com/
travisb
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
523 Posts

Profile of travisb
Check out http://www.coinvanish.com and go to the reviews section. There's a chart that compares Ammar's, Roth's, and David Stone's coin videos which I found really useful when deciding what to buy.

-Travis
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
3952 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Bottom line - there are no bad DVD's on intermediate or advanced coin magic. It all depends on what style you want to check out. The Roth series is a very complete slice of coin technique and routines. My own Encyclopedia of Coin Sleights teaches technique, and my Knockout Coin Magic series reflects my style. Same for the Kam and McClintock series, good stuff by Shoot and Apollo, Gallo, Cummins, Latta on the LVMI DVD, the upcoming COINvention DVD, and so many more. Good advice to check out Dan Watkin's site before making your decision, as well as the review section on this Café. Good luck!
ONLY A FEW BOOKS LEFT AVAILABLE FOR SIGNING!!! First edition and reprint of Rubinstein Coin Magic sold out in RECORD TIME! The good news, though, is that I have reprinted the book once again (they are selling like hotcakes!), so there are enough for everyone!! As such, and for the last time, I again have a VERY limited supply of books left that I can sign. All come with a special FREE GIFT (worth over $25!) until supplies are gone, so first come, first serve! To order, be sure to send me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com . The books usually ship the day after the order is received (excluding weekends)!
RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
And if anyone (USA ONLY) needs some of the coin stuff used in the book, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com as I have some limited supplies of coins and props used on the book.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
OK thank you guys I will do that. Meanwhile if anyone can PM or post links to these products directly so I can begin to shop around, that would be great.
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
If you are beginning, go to David Stone videos in Coin Magic then to Curtis Kam stuff (i heard it's killer stuff), or get Ammar's Intro to Coin Magic then jump to M.Rubinstein's Knockout Coin Magic.
"David Roth is the greatest coin manipulator in the entire world.."

-Dai Vernon "The Professor"

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
I'll second Ammars Introduction..if you are a beginner.

Howard
Clarioneer
View Profile
Special user
Ferndown, Dorset, UK
624 Posts

Profile of Clarioneer
This is a really tough question... Coins I believe depend on your personality - for example I have only a few coin tricks I perform but each is simple, powerful and match my personality/routine.

I also would suggest Ammars intro to coin magic but the reason I struggle is because in coin magic its horses for courses - as Pete Biro once said - there are only a limited number of things you can do - so for example this DVD includes simple put, retention vanish etc all of which do one single thing - a false transfer - they all work... so should you go thro' each one and learn each one to perfection - I would say no - understand them but use the one that works for you for each category...

Thus - My suggestion would be one DVD of slieghts + a DVD with some simple/powerful coin magic - I think the one you already have is Jay sankey so you already have some good stuff - then refer to intro dvd for those required sleights.

Because of the above - I really don't think there is one DVD that includes fantastic tricks back-to-back - as an example I have a roth that uses a lot of lappping - I don't personally like lapping so they are all virtually useless... I don't wear a jacket so sleeving tricks are almost all written off etc etc...

So.... I would suggest you read coin magic threads and ask about individual tricks... what are your favourites and work from there ????? I sight as an example - Sankey and Roth - both are great coinicians - but their personalities and thus coin tricks are worlds apart...
catch you later

Clarioneer
Malcolm Kavalsky
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Malcolm Kavalsky
Any opinions on who is the best teacher? From the point of view of in-depth explanation on the sleights. I am deliberating between Rubenstein, Stone and Roth.

I already have Ammar's intro, but am unhappy with the level of explanation. For example, Dan Watkins explained much better the retention of vision sleight (without the benefit of video) by pointing out the tricky details. Ammar demos the sleights but doesn't give enough pointers on what to look out for.

Any suggestions?
Checkout the Bobo Project at:
http://kavalsky.net:3834/OpenBobo/
Clip index at:
http://planet.nana.co.il/openbobo/
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Doesn't Mickey Silver have a video out?

Doug
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1060 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
Deliberating between Rubenstein, Stone and Roth?

I'd say if you had to choose one, choose Rugenstein. I have most of his DVDs and he's a fantastic resource. He's also a regular on this board and is very generous contributor to the Magic Café. How could ask more than that?

That said, I think Ammar is also a fantastic teacher. Perhaps one of his explainations wasn't to your liking, but in general I think he's very metodical and clear. On top of that, I have found the "super practice sessions" are a wonderful way to re-inforce the moves.... His "Easy to Master Money Miracles contains some effective and practical effects.
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
Clarioneer
View Profile
Special user
Ferndown, Dorset, UK
624 Posts

Profile of Clarioneer
Kavalsky - Ammar is good and also I have roths and he's good too - but with difficult moves like retension and pinch, well any of them, its down to in the mirror practise - which is why I said above its knowing the basics of the move then picking what is most natural to you - is the retention vanish more or less difficult than a simple put or take and is it more convincing or as natural - only you can decide...

The reason I said above I struggle to answer this question - neither roth nor Ammar did a good job on goshman pinch and this is a very powerful and useful sleight for me and the routines that fit my style (unlike retension vanish) - Sankey cracked that for me... So I would go with the DVD that displays the most sleights and use it for reference rather than a definitive answer/teaching aid... and ask up here for particular pointers on bits you are stuck with, or unhappy with...
catch you later

Clarioneer
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
A lot of great advice you guys. Thanks alot. I guess I will have to go through my revo coin magic again. Meanwhile I think I will go through ETMMM's I was not aware of the lapping in the Roth material. I'm not too into that as well I like to walk around and stand up and so-forth and so-on.
ClouDsss
View Profile
Inner circle
1799 Posts

Profile of ClouDsss
Rubenstein coin sleights dvds are good. He teaches very thoroughly and in different angles.

Ammar's intro to coin magic is easy to learn and he shows you the view from behind and hence makes it easier. However, has relatively less stuff than Rubinstein's.

Roth's 3 in 1 dvd which teaches coin sleights is another good one but it doesn't show you the view from differnt angles. He basically sits and talks to you about the sleights.

I would go for Rubinstein to learn of the sleights.

cheerios
Think outside the box, cos people are all thinking inside now!! - ClouDsss
Malcolm Kavalsky
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Thank for the help, based on the above (and other reviews on the internet), I have ordered Rubinstein's encyclopedia. It was a close call though since I did want to learn Roth's Chink-a-chink and hanging coins routines. But I feel that I will learn more in-depth from Rubinstein.

I just received Ian Kendall's VCD. It is not very comprehensive, but the sleights included are taught far better than Ammar. He very patiently goes through each sleight in painstaking detail, pointing out all the nuances and problems that you may incur. It is impossible not to learn the basics from this VCD. For some strange reason he also teaches the Himber vanish, which he claims "is a wee bit more difficult". I would say it is "way more difficult". Flipping a coin over the back of your fingers and catching it in a finger-clip of your pinkie, is scary just thinking about. I wonder what he considers a difficult sleight ?

Anyway apart from the Himber vanish, I would have preferred a click pass or utility switch instead, I highly recommend this VCD, and for 10 pounds including international postage, its a giveaway.

One of the reasons I chose Rubinstein, was because I enjoyed the detail that Kendall displayed, which proved that you can teach in-depth on a video, not just "talk" about the sleights. I have high expectations that Rubinstein will be the same style of teaching.
Clip index at:
owen.daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1048 Posts

Profile of owen.daniel
Ian Kendall is an extremely talented close up magician. I have seen him perform on several occasions, and he definately has the chops!
I bought the Rubinstein Encyclopedia videos the other day, with the intent on learning the ROPS move, a brilliant vanish. Whilst I am yet to perfect this, I have learnt a lot of other sleight on the way. But, as Michael points out on the DVDs, this is ment as an encyclopedia, and not something that you study, item by item. You just use the things that you think you need. There are no tricks, so if you do not already have a source to learn actual tricks from, then this DVD may become reduntant.
Roth's DVDs are, I have heard, worth getting. If he performs the effects as well as they read in Expert Coin Magic, and Coin Magic, then these are certainly worth looking into.
Reed McClintock's DVDs are dependant of your style. If you want to perform stand up coin magic (of the three fly type etc.), then this DVD will be an invaluable source of brilliant visual magic. If you are like me however, you may want to leave this; I personally prefer to do stuff using a table, and more classic effects (copper/silver, assembly etc.).
Owen
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1947 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I tried to memorize the sleights in Rubinsteins encyclopedia video's ( which I think are some cool ones) Owens right, I have found I need a little more to put them together into actual effects...... I wish I could come up with more of my own. Isn't there a new DVD out with Rubinsteins effects? Its like a 2 for 1 thing?
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
phread
View Profile
Elite user
md
486 Posts

Profile of phread
Here is a thought...try one of each. one roth dvd for some basic stuff w/routines and one rubinstein dvd and one of the Kam dvd's also. this way you can learn different ways to think about the mechanics and presentation of effects.
dug
Deckless Wonder
owen.daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1048 Posts

Profile of owen.daniel
Or get "Coin Magic" (the book), for the same price, and have many more tricks from the top names in magic, with a variety in style's etc.
Owen
Malcolm Kavalsky
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Re-reading my previous post, I may have given the wrong impression concerning Ammar's CITCM DVD. It is an excellent introduction and well worth the money. I have been playing this DVD in a loop since I got it ( about a week ago ), it is so entertaining. Ammar has lot of personality, and seems to have a lot of fun himself.

I especially enjoy watching his graceful execution of the sleights. Even knowing what is going on, I still get fooled.

I won't go into all the details, since this video has been extensively reviewed favourable elsewhere (which is why I bought it in the first place).

Just felt that I had to set the record straight ...
Clip index at:
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Okay, which one (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL