The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Okay, which one (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
I think you'll be very happy with the Michael Rubenstein's tapes. Let us know what you think when you've had the chance to look through them.

Richard
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
NMaggio
View Profile
New user
Nick Maggio
100 Posts

Profile of NMaggio
My vote is David Roth'series. The Ammar series, I've heard, is better for beginners.

Answering your question is like asking what religion is better. The answer is, whatever religion to which you were first introduced. I was baptized a "Rothite."

Nick Maggio
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8694 Posts

Profile of harris
Coin videos and dvd's that this nearly normal guy has found useful include.(in no particular order)

David Stones
Curtis Kam
Reed McClintock
Michael Rubenstein

Of course I still like books and manuscripts from the "old school" including S.York, Bobo, and Neighbors. C. Kam has and interesting book out there and M. Rubenstein (Anyone out there tried jumbo coins through table?)
and D. Neighbors have great old manuscripts.

What is old is new.

Though I have been playing with coins since the 70's, I learned a lot about the "basics" from the encyclopedia series. The more I know, the more I know I don't know.

I like the idea of finding what fits you, rather than trying to fit you into someone elses performing personality.

Be safe and well.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Michael Rubenstein was much too modest to mention his own video of coin sleights which I personally find superior to the Michael Amar stuff. There are a lot of good coin men here so this is definitely the place to ask.
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
ClouDsss
View Profile
Inner circle
1799 Posts

Profile of ClouDsss
[quote]On 2005-01-11 11:19, foreverriel wrote:
Isn't there a new DVD out with Rubinsteins effects? Its like a 2 for 1 thing?
[quote]
Yes he has a 3 vol coin magic series called knock out coin magic

cheerios
Think outside the box, cos people are all thinking inside now!! - ClouDsss
Malcolm Kavalsky
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Malcolm Kavalsky
Thanks to all for your responses, the result of which is that I broke down and bought both Rubinstein's encyclopedia and also Roth's export coin magic dvd's.

Rubinstein is definitely the best sleights teacher. He has an immense wealth of sleights in his set, and explains each one in painstaking detail, even better than I expected. A slight "glitch" though is that usually you cannot see the first demo of the sleight since it is covered up by the title screen. Fortunately, the sleights are all demoed at least 5 times from different angles, even before he starts explaining! This is the first place I saw the ROPS move explained, and this really blew me away.

Roth's series is more similar to Ammar's, though more comprehensive, but I would say of about the same didactic quality. However, his routines are far more exciting. I can understand why they are so prevalent in discussion. After such high expectations, I was ready for an anti-climax, but happily enough all the famous routines "chink-a-chink", "hanging-coins", etc were well worth it.
Checkout the Bobo Project at:
http://kavalsky.net:3834/OpenBobo/
Clip index at:
http://planet.nana.co.il/openbobo/
cloneman
View Profile
Elite user
475 Posts

Profile of cloneman
Quote:
Rubinstein is definitely the best sleights teacher.

I second that. His DVDs brought my coin work to a whole new level.
"Anything is possible... if you don't know what you are talking about."
saheer
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of saheer
How well are the sleights taught on Rubenstein's Knock Out Coin Magic as compared to his Encyclopedia of coin magic? I'm interested in learning the R.O.P.S. and Rubenstein click pass.
"Because, without beer, things do not seem to go as well"

1902 diary of Brother Epp, Capuchin monk from Munjor,
Kansas
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1947 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
For coin sleights I only have Rubinsteins Encyclopedia and Bobo's book of course and they have a LOT of good stuff. I only wish I were more creative. If you don't have it and you want sleights, get it. I have not seen the Knock Out video yet so I can't compare. But get the encyclopedia.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
tikiman
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of tikiman
My Fav's DVD's
Curtis Kam (magic Café regular)
Reed McLintock (same)
David Roth

If you want to see a GREAT performance
See if you can locate
Al Goshamn (who in my opinion is not mentioned nearly enough)
Fred Kapps for his jumbo coins (I actually held one of the coins he used)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Okay, which one (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL