The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Illusion storage case materials (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Grandillusionsmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
270 Posts

Profile of Grandillusionsmagic
I have just purchased two illusions, both used and from different sellers, but they both came in storage cases. I wanted to know what the material is so I can make cases for a couple other things. This is a thin black semi-flexible material. It is not wood, it seems like a plastic material.
I asked both sellers, but they did not know what the material is, so I hope you can help.
Thanks
Jason
Magically,
GI
www.boisemagic.com
Chris Murphy
View Profile
New user
Brisbane, Australia
64 Posts

Profile of Chris Murphy
Hi Jason,

How big are the cases? That might be a clue to the material used.

It could possibly be straight ABS plastic sheet (I think some manufacturers call this Astroboard - but I could have that confused with something else). I've seen this in a few cases.

Most of the cases I've built or worked with and seen from other illusion builders are an appropriate thickness plywood which is laminated with either ABS plastic, stucco aluminum, fibreglass, or high pressure laminate (formica etc). I find these products best for large illusion cases which are being shipped by freight handlers. There is also a very lightweight panel which is coreflute laminated with ABS plastic. I've used that for a few small cases and it works great and gives a big weight saving. Also, a local case hardware supplier here has a rubber coated plywood called Armorply which seems to have good impact and rub resistance with a light weight.

If there's no wood then it sounds like it could be ABS / Astroboard.

Chris.
Chris Murphy
www.sliceofmagic.com
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1814 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
If it's really thin, it could be polyethylene. I have a couple of illusions with polyethylene cases. They are extremely light and pretty durable, but they have to be handled more gently than ATA cases.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20508 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Hello MagicMikey,

I haven't seen you in a while. I did recommend you to someone who was working with Moon Pies. You live closer to the source than I do.

Is this illusion case material the same as drum cases are made of? Where would you get it?

The only way I have seen those assembled was with rivets. Is that the only option?

I had an old black box that used to be part of the cases for drum set cases. It had web straps. I used it for stands, curtains, table tops and tools. It was really tough but it didn't make it back from a Texas trade show in the late 80s. I suppose it found a new home. My electronics client replaced the stuff in it but we didn't put a value on the case. (Do you think JR and Sue Ellen got it? It was in Dallas.)

One of the things I really liked about it was that you could turn the bottom over and put it into the top and get it out of the way. You could also load it with more than you could tote if you weren't careful. It was indestructable.

Crank your agency back up. I have a new show for you to book starting in March!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Grandillusionsmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
270 Posts

Thanks for the help.
One case is over 6 feet tall and about 18 inches by 24 inches. The other is a bit smaller. I will look into the ABS plastic sheet. (Astroboard)
Thanks
Jason
Magically,
GI
www.boisemagic.com
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1814 Posts

Hello Bob,

Thanks for the referral yet but I appreciate it.

I suspect the case you had used fiber board, although they do make them in polyethylene. The polyethylene cases are constructed the same way. Chalet Magic used to make their lightweight cases out of fiber board and then switched to polyethylene (the polyethylene holds up to water where the fiber board warps.)

The case are made with straps and are riveted together. I'm not sure where you would get the polyethylene or if there's any other way to assemble them. You might want to check with George at Chalet. Those cases he makes are very reasonably.

Thanks, again, for the referral.

Michael
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20508 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Michael,

Thank you. Your post was far too logical!

Lucy and I use three of George's Doves to Rabbit in our two-hour show. That is what they would be for. We would pack two in one case for our "I've Got This Friend" routine and one solo for regular dove magic. (I don't pull the pins and fold them flat. We don't need to invest the extra setup time or need or live with the "surprises" that can develop from a too fast a setup.) George does a great job of whatever too! I did not realize that he makes these cases.

I need to trick (I mean persuade) George into making some items of scenery for the photo part of Star Dancer Castle Productions props too. Unicorn props have to be custom made.

That's it. Field Trip! Lucy and I need some Tennessee time.

Take care.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7390 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Last time I talked with George (2 years ago) he said that he no longer made cases.

There are several other sources to get them made.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20508 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Richard,

Do you know anything about the material and where to get it? A large flat piece would be useful in Lucy's Animal Tea Party routine for the floor.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Okay, we've discussed the material for the case material, but what about the hardware? I've been able to track down the corner brackets, latches, and such, but I cannot for the life of me fine the "rails" which actually form the edges of the cases. I'm referring to the "L" shaped material.
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
Jack Murry from Dream-Illusionsmakes great cases. Ask him he is very knowlegeable in this subject.

Michael
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
But ... I don't want to go to a case builder. I want to learn how to build my OWN cases.
Grandillusionsmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
270 Posts

Thanks for the help. I will look into it some more. The cases I have don't have edge pieces. The case material is just folded and overhangs a little.
I will let you know if I find anything out.
Thanks.
Magically,
GI
www.boisemagic.com
zaubern
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, Wa
335 Posts

Profile of zaubern
Yeah, I have a poly case made by Chalet for my olep cage. It is very durable and holds up well. I would recommend it.
Zaubern Smile
NFox
View Profile
Inner circle
I Do Mentalism Now?!
1101 Posts

Profile of NFox
Why not just use regular aluminum angle iron. It comes in all thicknesses, widths, and types of metal. It's probably just what you need. By the way where did you find the corner brackets?

Nick Fox
"Obscuring Reality"- Gone but not forgotten...

FoxIllusions.com
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1814 Posts

Hello Richard,

I think George (Chalet for those who don't know) started making the polyethylene cases again, but I'll double check and report back.

For case parts, check out: https://www.tchweb.com/cgi-bin/TCH2.storefront/ They supply all the parts needed for cases.

Michael
Tony S
View Profile
Special user
New York
581 Posts

Profile of Tony S
Quote:
On 2005-01-14 15:07, Starrpower wrote:
Okay, we've discussed the material for the case material, but what about the hardware? I've been able to track down the corner brackets, latches, and such, but I cannot for the life of me fine the "rails" which actually form the edges of the cases. I'm referring to the "L" shaped material.

Do an internet search on ATA Case Hardware and you will find several sources for just about anything you could need.
We are all about as successful as we choose to be.

www.anthonysisti.com
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
Starrpower

Right. He is a pro at it. So ask him. He can tell you what material. I never said you have to get one built by him. He can help you out to build your own.

Michael
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Don't you think it's in poor taste to go to a guy who makes these things for a living, and ask him where he gets his supplies?

As for the regular angle aluminum, on the cases I have that have edge pieces, the edges are beveled. I assume this reduced the chances of it catching on something and tearing away. I also have some cases that have no edging, and these are covered with case carpet.

I've done the web searches before, and have not found a source for edging angle.
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1814 Posts

Again, check here: https://www.tchweb.com/cgi-bin/TCH2.storefront

Hello Richard and others,

I have heard back from George Kimery at Chalet and you are correct. He no longer makes the polyethylene cases. That's too bad. I really liked them.

Michael
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Illusion storage case materials (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL