The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » MOABT: Was it worth it? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
magic in mind
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of magic in mind
I orderd mine from Mr. Broadmore via ebay. What I will say is this, please, please, just don't do MOABT stand alone. Put it in a book test routine, otherwise you'll give the game away. Remember, every technique cancels the other out. Thanks, paul.
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1394 Posts

Profile of Piers
Paul,
How does your MOABT routine fit together ?
Piers.
Smile

www.justgiving.com/piers-cancer-fund

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-2

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-3

Finished my 4 months of Chemotherapy in 2009. 3 monthly checks since... and into 2021!

As seen on the QE2 and QM2.

Author of Salem's Cornucopia - SUC Book
magic in mind
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of magic in mind
Very well thanks piers!!
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1394 Posts

Profile of Piers
Great !

( Is there a special moabt forum any where ? )
Smile

Finished my 4 months of Chemotherapy in 2009. 3 monthly checks since... and into 2021!

ESP Guy
View Profile
Regular user
Falls View, Vermont
137 Posts

Profile of ESP Guy
You can find some excellent handlings and other uses for MOAB on the Conversations With Mindreaders CD's.

Thom
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1394 Posts

Profile of Piers
And the Mother's Home Companion is excellent too !

Hello,

Was pondering this in bed last night .....

Has anyone thought about .....

Once you have verbally revealed the word, following up with a written prediction of that word ?

This would need 20+ outs of course. That's a lot of pockets for envelopes, but I'm sure it could be done.
Any thoughts ?

It would certainly amaze me as a spectator.

Piers.
Smile

Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On 2005-06-24 01:36, Piers wrote:
Hello,

Was pondering this in bed last night .....

Has anyone thought about .....

Once you have verbally revealed the word, following up with a written prediction of that word ?

This would need 20+ outs of course. That's a lot of pockets for envelopes, but I'm sure it could be done.
Any thoughts ?

It would certainly amaze me as a spectator.

Piers.

Both Puck & Mac King do this exact thing in their shows.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1394 Posts

Profile of Piers
Oh !
How do they reveal it ?
P.
Smile

Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On 2005-06-24 04:31, Piers wrote:
Oh !
How do they reveal it ?
P.

Puck has a trained Cockatoo that supposedly pecks at paper until the word is printed on it and King does a funny bit with a grocery bag that ends up having the word printed inside.

Greg

By the way, Piers, my personal opinion is that a final prediction of the word lessen the overall effect. Why? Well, if you had a prediction already written up then why are you struggling to get the word?
Sometimes predictions end up being not a good thing to do... even in both of the magicians' acts I mentioned I felt that the prediction ended up making MOAB look more like mental magic than mentalism.
Just my opinion.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1394 Posts

Profile of Piers
Good point, Greg.
I guess you are right.
If you already know it, why search for letters ?!
Smile

Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
MOAB is def. the way to go if you can afford it. The impact is worth 3 times the cost of the book . . . this one kills people.

It is so clean, so fair, so . . . IMPOSSIBLE. If you don't have one, chances are 99.9% that this thing would knock your socks off if you saw it performed.

I have to kindly disagree with "magic in mind". MOAB can def. be performed alone without any other books or book tests (or word tests for that matter)!
You don't need multiple methods and effects to cancel each other out in the audience or participants mind! That is truly silly thinking, again, running when you are not being chased . . .

Try this, walk around with MOAB and a bookmark about 1/3 of the way into it.
When the situation presents itself, hand the book to somebody, have them remove your bookmark and open it to any page they wish. Proceed as normal.

MOAB can withstand the closest scrutiny and never have I had a person who wished to examine the book. It's all how you do it . . .

EXAMPLE: Remember the Haunted Key . . . how many times have you done the effect only to hand the key out for examination and find the spectator placing it onto their hand and DUPLICATING what you just did? Hand the key out first for examination, and THEN do the effect. Aka, let them fully inspect MOAB "if they wish to" (I have not ever run into such a person, the book looks so natural) and then perform your demonstration.

Asking for the book back to replace your bookmark is entirely natural and they are left speechless. The book is just a tool, secondary . . . the heat should not be on the book.

Happy slaying,
-J
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
chicane
View Profile
Elite user
New Zealand
465 Posts

Profile of chicane
The inventer Ted Karmilovich, says he uses the MOABT with two people. That's something I have still to try. The instructions cover this routine and several other presentations.

Personally I like to incorporate several books in a test, and will be trying a routine similar to Chuck Hickock's presentation "Books Galore" from Mentalism Incorporated.

I do like TT2' bookmark idea!
FORCE 4 - a TOOL FOR MENTALISTS - OUT NOW

http://www.nzmagic.com/magicshop2015.html
Steve Dela
View Profile
Special user
U.K. London
961 Posts

Profile of Steve Dela
I always use two people when doing this effect also.

Goes over very well indeed. I have performed this as a stand alone before. I can pull it off. Now I do a variation on the hoy test first.

My routine is 10 mins of solid entertainment off what is really just MOABT.

Steve Dela
http://stevedela.com
Associate Member of the Inner Magic Circle
FFFF
Ian Broadmore
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of Ian Broadmore
I personally use the MOABT with three people, that incorporates a multi phrase routine It kills people and I close my show with it as its that strong. If anyone wants one I currently have three in stock.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Are the EBAY versions knock offs? I didn't see one on Ebay but saw a purchase from Ebay mentioned one of the threads.

I just ordered one from Mr Lee.
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Has a purple ribbon wraped around my
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
Quote:
On 2006-05-28 03:20, Candini wrote:
Are the EBAY versions knock offs? I didn't see one on Ebay but saw a purchase from Ebay mentioned one of the threads.

What ebay versions are you talking about?

MOBAB has been sold on ebay, I got mine there four years ago, at a fraction of the cost that I might have to pay otherwise. It was in excellent condition, new, and was worth the nail biting that I did over the week of the auction.

Are there MOAB clones on sale too at Ebay?
Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2008-05-26 00:33, mindguy wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-05-28 03:20, Candini wrote:

What ebay versions are you talking about?

MOBAB has been sold on ebay, I got mine there four years ago, at a fraction of the cost that I might have to pay otherwise. It was in excellent condition, new, and was worth the nail biting that I did over the week of the auction.

Are there MOAB clones on sale too at Ebay?

Ha, so long ago I forgot. I love the Mother and she has produced time and time again. I could not imagine a stage or parlor show without her by my side. I wish the price would go up.
Knight Magic
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas, NV
53 Posts

Profile of Knight Magic
We primarily do illusions, but MOABT has been a great addition to our show. It can be repetitive if you do it with more than one person, but that can be avoided by changing the way you reveal the word. As far as the cover goes, we have three of the books so we went to a bookstore and to find books with the same size cover as the MOABT. We use them to give the books variety, and it works well. It's an unusual sized cover so it wasn't easy to find, but it was worth the trouble. We definately think it's worth the cost too, and I'm glad some people consider it too expensive because it keeps it from being overdone.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » MOABT: Was it worth it? (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL