The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Card Guards? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
SanCho14jfm
View Profile
Loyal user
New Jersey
243 Posts

Profile of SanCho14jfm
I bought my card guard for $15 at Tannens and it really does help to keep the cards in good shape. I always have cards in my pocket and before I had the card guard they would get beet up with everything else in my pocket banging against them. Not only does the card guard keep the cards in very new condition it keeps them from getting beat up.
Tysmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Tennessee
171 Posts

Profile of Tysmagic
I own a porper clip and I really, really like it. I keep my cards in a cellphone holster on my hip and I tore off three black tiger box tops before getting a clip. I also stopped using the tigers a little after getting a porper clip though, but the tally ho's boxes look great and they are as flat as can be.
TAOBMAETS 666 or 999 Steamboat
ClouDsss
View Profile
Inner circle
1799 Posts

Profile of ClouDsss
Wow..guess I shold reconsider and get one for myself..

Thanks guys!
Think outside the box, cos people are all thinking inside now!! - ClouDsss
Paul Sherman
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, VA
1511 Posts

Profile of Paul Sherman
Quote:
On 2005-01-10 16:56, KidMagic87 wrote:
I've never owned a Porper, but I can attest to the fact that since I've been using my Superhandz box, my cards are not being warped anymore due to body heat, etc.

That's a good point, and one that I forgot to mention. I'm from Florida originally. If you're like me, and live in a humid climate, you've probably already discovered that carrying a deck in your back pocket is a bad idea. Walk around for a half hour and you're ready to do Paul Harris' "Solid Deception" completely impromptu. A Porper clip (and apparently the Superhandz boxes) will prevent that from happening.
"The finished card expert considers nothing too trivial that in any way contributes to his success..." Erdnase

some youtube videos
Mauricio Jaramillo
View Profile
Elite user
Colombia
412 Posts

Profile of Mauricio Jaramillo
Quote:
On 2005-01-10 20:53, Paul Sherman wrote:
Walk around for a half hour and you're ready to do Paul Harris' "Solid Deception" completely impromptu.

I live in Miami and I feel you on that, hahaha.

Another vote for the Porper clip and I have to say that I've never had a spec say anything about having the cards in there. Don't feel weird or suspicious about it, and neither will the spec. If they ask, tell them what it is and let them play with the clip and deck all they want.
MetalBender
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of MetalBender
Porper clip is amazing. Nuff said, those little cheap ones aren't worth the money, they scratch up the boxes and make them look bad. The Porper clip has fluted edges that make the deck easily slide in. The other nice thing is that provided a deck is in one long enough the clip actually takes the bend out of the cards and rejuvinates them. It's well worth the money, and has saved me quite a bit on buying new decks.
"Magic up close and personal, the way is should be."

http://www.DelusionMasters.com
algebraic
View Profile
Special user
920 Posts

Profile of algebraic
I use porper clips on my Double Psi-Deck which retails for $175.00. They're expensive to replace.

I use the porper clip on my Zig Zag deck of cards and any other special deck of cards I want to keep in good condition.
jtcavataio
View Profile
Regular user
174 Posts

Profile of jtcavataio
I have a cheap-o and a porper and there is NO comparison.
Porper is the way to go.

The wooden ones look lovely - I don't have one, but they look nice. If anyone wants to send me one, I'll gladly review it!
ryman
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of ryman
Hey... when guys say that they go though "X" amount of cards a year.. what do they do wit dem after?

I was jus wondering
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4824 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
I have 2 of these card guards (7 dollar):
http://www.magicforless.com/magictricks/guard.htm
I always carry a deck of cards and a card guard.
I have engraved my name and logo on the card clip, looks very exklusive.
On the other side I have engraved a card symbol.

Mats
http://www.kjellstrom.info
tobenjunk
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of tobenjunk
I decided to go with the Porper clip because of the bending spine. It IS quite a bit more expensive, but the positive remarks convinced me to spend the extra $$$. Thanks!

Toben
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3330 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Largely due to the comments on this thread, I have now purchased a Porper Clip (£20 from Top Secret Magic) I'm very happy with it but I seek some advice. At first, I couldn't get my Tally Ho's in it so I gently 'prised' it open a nanometre wider. Then after reading about the Black Tigers in the clip, I thought, "why not?!" But they are a fraction thicker than the Tally Ho's so I had to 'widen' the clip a little more.

My point? Well, as this is a quality product, should I really be 'messing' with it and will these minor adjustments do any damage long term?

Sensible answers please. Smile
Mrbimble
View Profile
New user
Tucson, AZ
57 Posts

Profile of Mrbimble
If I happen to let people see my clip I just say.."oh this? this is a card clip. Pros. or nuts would have one of these...and I'm defenately no pro." Usualy geta a chuckle or two.
Jerry M.
Mundas vult decipi ~The world wants to be deceived

Multum in parvo ~Much in little(packs small/plays big)
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4354 Posts

Profile of rannie
Ive got 3 kinds of card clips. My fave is the porper card guard. They look elegant, they are well made and they make my cards stay crisp.
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
J3
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
165 Posts

Profile of J3
Ive also wondered about those people who go through so many decks a year, Ive been doing card magic for over a decade and Ive never thrown a deck away, lol. Sometimes Ill take a really worn deck and practice my card throwing out somewhere, and one by one they ride off into the sunset. But for the most part Ill keep even some of the most worn decks to practice with so I can be accustomed to using both.

I just ordered a porper clip from porperoriginals.com and was wondering if anyone else has ordered directly from him, and if so, how long did it take for it to arrive?
Caution
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of Caution
There are 3 main ones.

Card gaurd - it's ok to protect the cards and look ok to the audience if they see it in your closeup work.

Porper Card clip - it's the best for protecting cards only but has limited other use.

Superhandz XCM boxes - protects your cards, looks the best in my oppinion and sectators oppinion, very pro looking if you are into having fine props and they have other uses like in manipulation. There is a demo video here: http://www.xtremehandz.com/catalog/item/1177533/997029.htm and it's smoking!

I own all 3 of these items and after handling the Superhandz boxes, the metal clips now hold my old and worn out cards and rest in the old and never used magic pile.
Mike
UBKuel, IBkuel.
Beezer109
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of Beezer109
Honestly The penguin magic card guard RUINS the box. The card guards edges are pointy and often scrath the box deterioting it and making it last shorter
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3330 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
I'm inclined to agree now with Beezer109. My 'cheap' metal guard is so out of shape - anything can happen. Just try getting a Porper Clip out of shape! No - you can't!
anime_file
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of anime_file
One of my friends wrapped paper, like an image of your favorite card, celebrity, girl whatever around his card guard. So that would eliminate the pointy edges sort of.

It's true that penguin clips sux but it's only what $5? Useful enough for keeping the deck box from getting crushed in your pockets. I don't see myself buying a $30 clip for bicycle cards... How do you go through that many decks so quickly. How do you know when a deck has become unuseable?
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4826 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Quote:
On 2005-01-22 16:29, Beezer109 wrote:
Honestly The penguin magic card guard RUINS the box. The card guards edges are pointy and often scrath the box deterioting it and making it last shorter

Beezer,
I do agree with you about the Penguin card clip. But, the point of the guard is not to protect the box as much as it is the contents. I use card clips, not to lengthen the time of the box, but to keep my cards from warping. I only use it for gaffed decks that aren't easily replaced by a trip to the nearest convenience store. For this, the Porpers are the best as they put even pressure over the entire surface, and you don't get the problem with the bent metal mashing the edges of the box.

The xtremehandz boxes look pretty as a display box, but that's about it. They don't do the job of a "real" card clip.

Quote:
On 2005-01-15 08:06, pacotrix wrote:
Largely due to the comments on this thread, I have now purchased a Porper Clip (£20 from Top Secret Magic) I'm very happy with it but I seek some advice. At first, I couldn't get my Tally Ho's in it so I gently 'prised' it open a nanometre wider. Then after reading about the Black Tigers in the clip, I thought, "why not?!" But they are a fraction thicker than the Tally Ho's so I had to 'widen' the clip a little more.

My point? Well, as this is a quality product, should I really be 'messing' with it and will these minor adjustments do any damage long term?

Sensible answers please. Smile

Joe Porper told me that exact same thing last fall. He expects you to have to adjust the clip slightly for different brands. If he made it sloppy enough to handle the thickest decks, it wouldn't do it's job nearly as well.
I don't know if he has a written procedure for it though. But I'm sure he'd help if you asked him.

Or, you could make Joe happy and buy more than one!
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Card Guards? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL