The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Best card trick for beginner (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
philipi56
View Profile
Regular user
grand rapids, MI
142 Posts

Profile of philipi56
I am wondering what effect you recommend for a beginner. I am not exactly interested in cards, but I would like to have some kind of card effect. Thanks Philip
Dr. Jakks
View Profile
Special user
832 Posts

Profile of Dr. Jakks
I could have sworn I saw this exact post, by you with 10 replies yesterday.... hmmm... Anyway to the original question, I think that the infamous ELEVATOR CARD (double lift) Smile is the BEST beginner trick.

Jakks
Kard16
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of Kard16
Daleys last trick is simple and very nice
aznviet6uy
View Profile
Veteran user
Santa Rosa, CA
315 Posts

Profile of aznviet6uy
Try the "Haunted Pack" by Al Baker, its simple and yet very effective.

-Chris
shhh..... I see Magicians.....
stevebraley
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of stevebraley
If you are not into cards or card sleights but want to have an easy card trick up your sleeve. Try "Missing the Mark" by Kirk Kokinos from somewhere like the Magic Warehouse. This can be successfully performed within minutes after receiving. It only gets better as you practice and hone your presentation.
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2263 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
Hands down - Mark Wilson's Complete Course In Magic.

It should be your text book your first day at Magic School. It's issued with your first deck of cards, magic wand and your first dove named, "Steve."

Blessings,
Snake
View Profile
New user
Craig Smith
2 Posts

Profile of Snake
I could not agree more. I picked up a copy of Mark Wilsons book of adult magic and it really has helped me a lot. Very well illustrated in step by step form. got me hooked.
Craig.
South Africa.
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1478 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
It may be a good idea to buy Royal Road to Card Magic by Hugard & Braue, even if you're not especially interested in card magic. The book costs only a few bucks and it teaches you all the basics of card magic. And of course, there are many excellent tricks in it. For example, try "Do as I do" and see for yourself how powerful this nearly self-working trick is.

-Uli
MarkFarrar
View Profile
Veteran user
U.S.A.
376 Posts

Profile of MarkFarrar
You could try one of Karl Fulves books from the "Self-Working" series - at least with these, you only need to concentrate on the presentation, and not the technical stuff.
Mark S. Farrar

Email: [email]MarkFarrar@TheMagicCircle.co.uk[/email]
Web: www.MagicSquaresBook.com, www.RandMPublishing.com, www.TheDailyGoalMachine.com, www.ParvoBuster.com
Winston
View Profile
New user
UK
12 Posts

Profile of Winston
My suggestion is Colour Monte for a couple of reasons.

Firstly - it's pretty easy to do/learn, but does require practice before performing it for spectators, and gives you the opportunity to learn a relatively basic card move, which will become very important if you develop your interest further

Secondly- it's a good solid effect, and may interest you because you mentioned that 'traditional card tricks' may not be your thing. it doesn't use normal 'suited' cards, but coloured shapes instead.

Hope this helps
gimmick1586
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of gimmick1586
Card to pocket is a easy but effective trick.
Jeff Weiss
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of Jeff Weiss
As a beginer myself, I really like the Michael Ammar videos. Each contains a few great effects and I find the teaching method effective.
Chris Calabrese
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas, NV
44 Posts

Profile of Chris Calabrese
I like the Machael Ammar videos a whole lot too--really the best I've seen so far--but some of the most juicy tricks assume you already know how to do things like a double lift or the Hindu shuffle. There's still some great stuff on there if you're a total beginner, but I don't know if the Ammar videos would be a great "first" video (I suppose it would depend on the definition of "beginner").
~ Chris Calabrese ~
aznviet6uy
View Profile
Veteran user
Santa Rosa, CA
315 Posts

Profile of aznviet6uy
Yes the Ammar videos are a great selection for beginners, I started out with these videos myself

-Chris
shhh..... I see Magicians.....
Alan Jackson
View Profile
Elite user
Cardiff, UK
432 Posts

Profile of Alan Jackson
I'd strongly recommend the first card section in Harry Lorayne's The Magic Book. Also his advice to learn one good card control, palm, and double lift.
There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary numbers, and those who don't.
john blaze
View Profile
New user
PA
82 Posts

Profile of john blaze
I agree with Alan.
The only problem with the Ammar videos for someone starting out, is that THEY ARE VIDEOS. My opinion is that its hard to get into the books, after growing up on videos. However, to stick to the topic, why are most folks pointing out the easy stuff for someone starting out? There used to be a magician who had no interest in the easy stuff, and if a book said something was hard, THAT appealed to him. Who was he again? Hmmm....Oh yeah, a fellow by the name of Dai Vernon. Smile
tglund
View Profile
Regular user
Broomfield, CO, USA
115 Posts

Profile of tglund
Nick Trost's 8 Card Brainwave. It uses the Olram subtlety. This can be found on the first video of Michael Ammar's Easy To Master Card Miracle series. Smile
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
Hesperia, California USA
1904 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
A few days ago Mark suggested Karl Fulves book on self-working card magic. That is by far the best suggestion. Not only will you be able to focus on presentation, but you will observe/learn how you handle cards. You will get better at handling them normally. Once you get comfortable go out and get "Royal Road to Card Magic" or "Card College". From there you can start to explore other fields. Coins? Bobo's book on Coin Magic. Close-up? Lewis Ganson's two volume set on Close-up. You can grow from there.
Tolga Ozuygur
View Profile
New user
Istanbul / Turkey
60 Posts

Profile of Tolga Ozuygur
Try the "invisible deck" trick. It's not so difficult. With a little practice you can do it. Smile
Martin Carli
View Profile
Regular user
Montreal, Canada
108 Posts

Profile of Martin Carli
I have to second the last suggestion. The invisible deck is something that you will do rapidly, and though a beginner level trick, you will need to build a strong presentation (and original also?).

Even if it is the first trick you learn with cards, you will do it for the rest of your life.

I'll also second the suggestions regarding the Mark Wilson book. An incredible buy. And another one that I recommend is the book Close-Up Illusions by Gary Ouellet, my late teacher. You just cannot go wrong with it.

Hope that helps...

Martin
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Best card trick for beginner (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL