The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » MOABT » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Stedwick
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas
73 Posts

Profile of Stedwick
I'm curious to know just what it is that makes the Mother of All Book Tests so good in everyone's opinion. Everyone says it's awesome, but no one says why.

What does it do that other book tests don't?

For example, at Hank Lee's it says, "You reveal the word in the simplest, most startlingly direct manner ever!"

That's not much of a description. What exactly is this "most startlingly direct manner ever?"

Also, people have been saying that The Master Key incorporates the method used in MOABT. So why pay $350 for Mother if you can get The Master Key for half the price?

Anyway, just curious. =P

Thanks. =)

Stedwick
leondo
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
759 Posts

Profile of leondo
(...SNIP) So why pay $350 for Mother if you can get The Master Key for half the price?

And four other tests included!

Ted (Leondo)
pradip_rao
View Profile
New user
Bombay, India
67 Posts

Profile of pradip_rao
Don't really know much about the MOABT, but I second Leondo's viewpoint. I would also strongly advise anyone interested in book tests to grab The Master Key before they are all gone.

Cheers,

Pradip
mysticz
View Profile
Special user
D.C. metro area
680 Posts

Profile of mysticz
Quote:
On 2002-09-12 21:17, Stedwick wrote:
I'm curious to know just what it is that makes the Mother of All Book Tests so good in everyone's opinion. Everyone says it's awesome, but no one says why.

What does it do that other book tests don't?

What makes the MOABT so good is its very simple and direct premise: a spectator is asked to turn to any page of a book and think of any word. Without any undue departures, the performer reveals the thought-of word.

Simple and elegant. No other book test I know of is so direct and strong.

Joe Z.
Joe Zabel
"Psychic Sorcery"

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

-- Shakespeare's Hamlet I.v. 174-175
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Quote:

"Without any undue departures, the performer reveals the thought-of word."

Does he? I thought he revealed it letter by letter or am I wrong?

Phillip

Hi,

I like Keith Field's Insight myself. I like the fact that they can open the book and you can extract details from their mind as they are reading, not just a word but entire snippets of thoughts. And to think, I nearly sold it! That was before I really gave it a good try in front of an audience.

phillip
mysticz
View Profile
Special user
D.C. metro area
680 Posts

Profile of mysticz
Quote:
On 2002-09-13 14:00, p.b.jones wrote:
quote:
I thought he revealed it letter by letter...?

Not necessarily. The thought-of word can be revealed any number of ways -- I draw a conceptual image that reflects the word. The means of revelation is limited only by the performer's imagination.

Joe Z.
Joe Zabel
"Psychic Sorcery"

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

-- Shakespeare's Hamlet I.v. 174-175
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
Not any word can be revealed and there is a minimal amount of pumping for the first letter. Its not something you would use in front of same audience to many times either.

It can be examined briefly but I wouldn't let someone have a real good look at it.

Ive never been a fan of book tests so perhaps I'm not the best to comment.....

Smile
Mike Robbins
View Profile
Elite user
Anchorage, Alaska
447 Posts

Profile of Mike Robbins
I wouldn't use any booktest in front of the same audience too many times. It'd get pretty boring for them.

In my act, I hand the MOAB book to the participant and allow them to choose any page they want. Then I allow them to choose any word they want. I then have them close the book, put it down, and concentrate on their word. I then reveal the word in a dramatic fashion.

Sounds like mentalism to me.

I think forcing them to choose either the right or left hand pages (which is not required in MOAB by the way), or coming to a page number using dice (which you just happen to have on you) or some other mathematical coniption, is much more suspect, less straight forward, and probably "less mentalism", if there be such a thing.

If you could really read someone's mind, you'd have them think of a word and you'd tell them. In fact, I start out just that way. Then I tell them that they're obviously a little nervous being on stage and that their mind is wandering a bit. To help them, I give them a book where they can pick one word and concentrate on just that one. That's about as direct as you're going to get while still being entertaining.

Best,

Mike
The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
Shakespeare
AndiGladwin
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
587 Posts

Profile of AndiGladwin
http://www.andy-l.com/72Hours/ is the website that you need!

I'll be there - I hope I get to meet you!

--Andi
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1105 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
The MOAB is nothing special. I would recommend you not buy it or perform it.
christopher carter
View Profile
Special user
660 Posts

Profile of christopher carter
I agree completely with the consensus that MOABT sucks. They should all be recalled except for my two, which are so dog-eared from use--er...casual reading, that I doubt anybody would want them back.

Strangely, in spite of the fact that it is a lousy, completely undeceptive trick, it is the most natural looking gaffed book I own, and I have found that it will withstand a pretty reasonable amount of scrutiny. Plus the directness of the effect really suits my purposes.

--Christopher Carter
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Sarcasm is a type of dry humor where one states the opposite of what they really mean.

Quote:
PS- I very much would like to attend '72 Hours'. Info pleese.

As my esteemed associate Mr. Gladwin said, you can find the details at http://www.andy-l.com/72hours

If you have any other questions about it, don't hesitate to drop me an e-mail at 72hours@Andy-L.com

--Andy

P.S.-For anybody interested, while I haven't had time to officially announce it yet, we've just added an additional lecture (I hate that word, btw, but it's standard, so I'll stick with it) to the convention lineup--yours truly will be doing a lecture on Friday night on the subject of impromptu/pseudo-impromptu mentalism. I swore I wasn't going to do anything other than producing and moderating the panel discussion for this year's gathering, but Quinn's managed to talk me into lecturing, and it should be fun :o)
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
McCritical
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of McCritical
Is "Astrology, The Hidden Force" a decent book test?

It looks like the book performs several duties beyond that of an ordinary book test and can actually be used to extract information from a volunteer for later use.

The promo reads like ATHF is the DeLand's Automatic Deck of booktests.

I've already ordered it, based on another post, but it would be nice to know what to expect when I get the package in the mail.

P.S. What's a rough estimation on the price for Insight? What should I expect? It's hard to determine exactly what I'm getting from the pictures on Ian's site. (The "book" looks pretty thin in the photos)
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
HI,
You get a paper backed book aprox A5 size 200 pages, a manuscript of instructions
and a cue sheet that you can stick on the back of another book if you have memory difficulties.
I bought mine some time ago but I think it's about £100.00.
Phillip
jecar
View Profile
Veteran user
358 Posts

Profile of jecar
Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the recipient who doesn't get it.
Alex Reeve
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Alex Reeve
Sarcasm is the same word in French and English. (except that in french you add an E at the end of the word)
Gary
View Profile
Veteran user
Market Harborough, UK
367 Posts

Profile of Gary
Do yourself a favour and go for Keith Field's Insight. He has a very limited supply left and the product is first rate.
"I can see clearly now, the brain has gone"
- Anon
poire
View Profile
New user
UK
58 Posts

Profile of poire
<<You get a (...) cue sheet hat you can stick on the back of another book >>

I never got this hat, but find the test works well enough without it.

Insight now costs £80 only, sale must end soon, etc.,
McCritical
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of McCritical
Quote:
On 2002-09-16 15:26, poire wrote:
I never got this hat, but find the test works well enough without it.

I have one made of tinfoil, would that help?

P.S. Thanks for the information Phillip, both of Ian's BT recommendations sound pretty impressive (Insight and Val's).
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
I just picked up Harvey Berg's "Final Exam" booktest, and I love it, FWIW. It has a really nice feel to it, where you're revealing details of the action going on in the book, not just a word or two, and it comes with two books, both of which are immediately recognizable classic titles (Upton Sinclair's The Jungle and D.H. Lawrence's Sons and Lovers) and can theoretically be read cover to cover without anything seeming out of place (unless you compared them directly to a legit copy of the book, of course).
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » MOABT » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL