The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » MOABT » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
CENDRE
View Profile
Veteran user
FRANCE
334 Posts

Profile of CENDRE
I'm not a fan of book tests, for the same reasons people have describe (borring, repeatitions...). But I admit we have to follow Corinda when this great mentalist says :
"You must know 1 book test, but 10 ways to reveal the word", it's a great advice.

Nevertheless, my problem with book test is different : I need an impromptu book test. I mean that I 'm not satisfied when you give YOUR book to the spectator. Even if the effect looks clean, I'm almost sure that spectator has a doubt about the book (maybe I'm wrong).

That's why I prefer my Silver Bullet or a good impromptu 2 book test described in "Imagik" (a french magic magazine) few months ago.

CENDRE,
Il était une fois...

CENDRE
Paris
FRANCE
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2264 Posts

Profile of ddyment
'Twas stated
Quote:
... Mr. Berg's test... the page numbers must be shouted out.

I know that Andy is a savvy enough mentalist to realize that not only is this statement untrue, but that (if desired) a second effect can be made out of the discovery of the page number.

... Doug
"Calculated Thoughts" now available at The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
thatcheria
View Profile
New user
Hollywood, MD
14 Posts

Profile of thatcheria
MOAB is very, very strong. I use it around the house for guests, when I can maneuver someone to "grab a book off that pile over there."

Richard Busch has several very good impromptu book tests in his book Peek Performances. His paperback test gives two methods of revealing the first word on a selected page, which are used back-to-back.

MOAB is one of the strongest things I've ever performed. Everyone reacts the same way: wide eyes, a gaping jaw, and "How the @#$% did you do that???"

You will have to put a little thought and experimentation into your performance. Properly handled, the revelation is so strong and unexpected that little bit of fishing that you have to do is erased from their memory. There are several ways to handle this beyond what the instructions describe, some in print, some not. You will have to do some digging to find the best methods.

The problem is getting the gaffed book in the spectator's hands without arousing suspicion. At home this is pretty easy. I haven't figured out how to justify carrying the book with me to someone else's house.

Can someone who uses MOAB onstage or outside of their home describe how they keep suspicion off the book that no one has ever heard of?
rasw
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of rasw
Something I learned from performing book-test tricks around the office.

Don't give out gaffed books for anything other than quick inspection by mathematicians. Without fail, they'll figure it out fast.

Also, don't laugh, but this technique

http://magic.about.com/library/tricks/bltrick19a.htm

has worked for me! I use a pencil whose tip I've covered with several layers of clear epoxy.
Shimi
View Profile
Regular user
Israel
107 Posts

Profile of Shimi
Strong personality= easy book test.
Weak personality = Berg final exam

Shimi
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4462 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Strong personality + Berg's "Final Exam" = Modern Day Miracle?

:evilgrin:
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Don't have them read it; have them verify that you are correct and then you read it. To have a participant read anything on stage is a bad idea, for multiple reasons (they don't have a sense of drama, they may not have a good speaking voice, etc.). If you read it, with him/her verifying that what you're reading is correct, it's much more effective.

If you don't want to perform it with two, don't. Just because Harvey does it that way doesn't mean you have to. Personally, I hate Harvey's performance of it on the demo video, I thought it was horribly long, drawn out, and not dramatic in the least. That doesn't mean that I don't like the effect, though. I just don't like his presentation of it (or lack thereof).

--A
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
jecar
View Profile
Veteran user
358 Posts

Profile of jecar
Quote:
On 2002-09-19 01:47, Andy Leviss wrote:
Don't have them read it; have them verify that you are correct and then you read it. To have a participant read anything on stage is a bad idea, for multiple reasons (they don't have a sense of drama, they may not have a good speaking voice, etc.). If you read it, with him/her verifying that what you're reading is correct, it's much more effective.

If you don't want to perform it with two, don't. Just because Harvey does it that way doesn't mean you have to. Personally, I hate Harvey's performance of it on the demo video, I thought it was horribly long, drawn out, and not dramatic in the least. That doesn't mean that I don't like the effect, though. I just don't like his presentation of it (or lack thereof).

--A

You're right, Andy. IMO, the performer should ask the participant to read the first couple of paragraphs to themselves. Then, the performer reveals that he/she has a mental image of what the P. has just read. When the performer reveals this image, by revealing different things that are within the written paragraph, the participants mouth should Smile and will then say, "How the heck did you know that!" Smile Now is the time to ask the participant or someone else to read the 1st paragraph.

Final Exam is an excellent booktest and in my opinion, it is 2nd only to MOAB.

Jerry Cargile
santlerconjurer
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of santlerconjurer
Quote:
On 2002-09-17 17:13, thatcheria wrote:
MOAB is very, very strong. I use it around the house for guests, when I can maneuver someone to "grab a book off that pile over there."

Can someone who uses MOAB onstage or outside of their home describe how they keep suspicion off the book that no one has ever heard of?

Bring it out with a familiar title, well-known author. Michael Crichton works really well because all his books since Jurassic Park have white covers similar to MOAB. The combo of Crichton (whose name everyone knows because of Jurassic Park) and MOAB has proved foolproof for me. Everyone reads "Daniel Steel" as "Daniele Steele" (or however this well-known genuine author spells her name).

I've even had someone in the audience volunteer they'd not only read the Crichton book I use (Rising Sun), but ALSO THE VERY SAME DANIEL STEEL NOVEL (MOAB) I'M HOLDING IN MY RIGHT HAND! WHOA! Ever since that performance I don't worry about introducing it as a novel "nobody's heard of."

Let someone choose either book. If MOAB, fine, move right along and perform. If Chrichton, let them select a page number as in Hoy, and immediately hand MOAB to someone else and have them use the real number the first volunteer just called out.
DaveS
View Profile
Veteran user
New York
329 Posts

Profile of DaveS
Quote:
On 2002-09-14 10:39, AndiGladwin wrote:

http://www.andy-l.com/72Hours/ is the website that you need!

I'll be there - I hope I get to meet you!

--Andi

The web site refers to the 2002 gathering... couldn't find info on 2004... what are the dates? Who's appearing? Thanks.
DaveS
We shall not cease from exploration/And the end of all our exploring/Will be to arrive where we started/And know the place for the first time. (TS Elliot)
BonzoTheClown
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of BonzoTheClown
Nobody's appearing. as far as I am aware 72 hours was a one off. Andy will correct me however if I'm wrong.

Marc Climens
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Marc's correct--after the fact, it was decided that 72H was going to remain a one-time event, due to a number of reasons, most importantly that I moved out of the area, and additionally that I am now out on tour with "The Full Monty".

I may do another convention in the future, time will tell...
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
alex cahill
View Profile
Loyal user
234 Posts

Profile of alex cahill
I heard a lot about this convention, I believe it was over priced and more like business venture than an attempt to create something useful. Only my opinion from what I have heard.
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Well, welcome to a capitalistic society. Can you blame Leviss for wanting to make money for putting forth his time and resources?
alex cahill
View Profile
Loyal user
234 Posts

Profile of alex cahill
I don't blame him, but the value for money of the convention, I believe, was not at all fair. I very much believe the magic society is being taken over by people who just want to fill their pockets by any means possible.
Oh, does anyone want to buy an ice cube which will turn into water in minutes? Only £30
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Umm.. I find that thought hilarious, someone wanting to make money from their business?? Heaven forbid!

It would be a wonderful world to live in if everything was free, and the more people looking at magic as a business, the more slick and professional it is likely to become.

If you can sell the ice cube that turns into water for £30 then good on you as long as you don't dress it up as anything other than what it is. Perceived value is in the eye of the purchaser...

You say that you 'heard' that it was overpriced and not good value, but what about the people that got some valuable information from it that would say it was too cheap...
BonzoTheClown
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of BonzoTheClown
Umm, it wasn't a money making venture at all. It had a small number of people, after accomodation were paid for the lecturers there was probably perhaps enough in the pot for a round or two of drinks.

Putting on a convention, whether it's small or not, takes many hours of planning and preparation. Andy probably made about 10 cents for each hour he worked on the thing. I can assure you his motivation was not money. The motivation was much more likely Andy's endless enthusiasm and 'wouldn't it be cool to hold a convention'. To charge was more of a necessary evil to meet venue costs.

Anyone who knows Andy also knows that he barely ever has enough money to put shoes on his feet Smile He's a good guy and you simply have no foundation for your cynicism 'Alex'

Marc Climens
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Sell your magical water on ebay, I have sold weirder.
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Quote:
On 2004-03-11 04:51, alex cahill wrote:
I don't blame him, but the value for money of the convention, I believe, was not at all fair. I very much believe the magic society is being taken over by people who just want to fill their pockets by any means possible.
Oh, does anyone want to buy an ice cube which will turn into water in minutes? Only £30

How exactly can you speak about the value of a convention which you did not attend? Give us the names of people you've spoken to who did attend, please. Seeing as it was an intimate convention with less than two dozen people in attendance, and all had quite positive things to say about it, I'm really curious.

Also, I'm intrigued that you can speak about my motives in producing it so surely. It was created because a friend and I mentioned one day that we wished there was a convention focused on mentalism that was intimate, avoided the things we'd never enjoyed about large magic conventions, etc. Then, we decided, "What the hell, let's do it!" and did.

As Marc stated, anybody who's produced conventions can tell you that they are NOT generally profit-producing ventures. They're very expensive to produce, and those rare few that do break a profit usually have a very small one (on a convention the size of 72H, I'm talking maybe a couple hundred dollars or so, if you're lucky).

For those who don't know who Alex is, I'll offer a quick refresher. Alex posted here a while ago, and then signed in under a pseudonym, proclaiming how amazing a mentalist this guy he'd just seen named Alex Cahill was. I posted calling his bluff, and since then he's found a number of oppurtunities to trash my name and my products, to the point where I am again seriously considering contacting my attorney to discuss a libel suit.

The last time, he said that he'd heard very negative things about a video that Andi Gladwin and I had produced; the problem was, the video had yet to be edited, and the only people who had ever seen the unedited footage were Andi, the producer, the cameraman, and myself. Pretty hard to hear negative things about a video that isn't even finished yet and that nobody's seen, isn't it?!

Sometimes I don't know why I even bother...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » MOABT » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL