The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Murray hatfeild illusions magic n' miracles tour review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

A.G.
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver Canada
958 Posts

Profile of A.G.
This was a great show, some of the best magicians, and the nicest guys I have ever met!! we can all learn from these guys!! here is my review
Illusions – Magic’n’Miracles 2004-05 Review

Take three guest magicians from around the world, mix it with a team of modern dancers, add Canada’s finest illusion team and a touch of lighting and sound experts you will then have one of North America’s most popular and longest running touring Illusion shows.

This years show entitled “Illusions – Magic ‘n’ Miracles” produced by Murray Hatfield and starring Murray Hatfield and Teresa is in its 20th year touring across Canada playing to sold out houses. With close to ninety shows in six weeks and 27 cities the tour starts in Eastern Canada making it’s way to Western Canada.

This year the guest acts include New Zealand born magician who is now based in Canada, from Texas, IBM Gold Cups champion Oscar Munoz and the very creative and original dove act of Dan Sperry from Chicago.

The show starts with a modern dance routine followed by the production of Murray Hatfield from a Vampire Illusion. After an introduction and audience warm up, Murray and Teresa perform a very fast paced substitution trunk. The rhythm and timing they have developed for this routine breaths life back in to this classic illusion. Throughout the show you can’t help but notice the chemistry between Murray and Teresa on stage and how well they work together.

The first guest act Paul Romhany is introduced and from the moment he walks onstage the audience is captivated as Paul brings to life Charlie Chaplin. Paul is the spitting image of Chaplin and has all his movements and characteristics down. Young and old alike are taken in with this very original, charming and innovative act. The act includes all original material finishing with a wonderful floating broom routine set to the music Smile by Charlie Chaplin. I came away from the show wanting to watch a Chaplin movie again.

Murray then performs his coin pail routine with a boy from the audience giving him a chance to really connect with the audience. The audience laps up the humor and interaction between the young boy and Murray.

Oscar Munoz is introduced and has the audience in the palm of his hands from the minute he walks on stage as they instantly warm to his Latino flair and it is obvious from watching Oscar’s performance that he is a student of theatre. The day I saw the show there were over 2000 people in the theatre and to hear them all belly laughing so loudly was a wonderful feeling. Oscar performs a very clever and funny rope routine followed by a lot of ‘bit’s of business with a girl from the audience leading in to his version of the ‘balloon in the bag’ routine. This is a classic example of a performer taking standard items and really making them his own. He then performs one of the best routines using a dove bag I have seen. His comedic timing is impeccable and the family audiences just love him.

After a black light dance number and an instant production of three assistants the show featured a break-dancer who performed some incredible moves and added something unique to an illusion show. Murray then performs a series of effects including a glove to streamer routine, production and vanish of a duck followed by the Blamo Box production. The choreography of the show is of a very high standard and everything flows from one to another. A nice touch to the show is when Murray thanks Teresa for her hard work throughout the year helping with the writing and the production of the show.

This is the lead in to how they first met and their double routine for the dancing hanky. Next comes a wonderful routine as Murray performs the ‘smallest illusion he knows’ as he borrows a finger ring from a lady in the audience and vanishes it as his finger tips in a flash of fire. After some comedy byplay, Irving the duck makes his appearance as he is put in to a canon and fired to a box making his re-appearance with the borrowed finger ring.

Irving is then taken and turned in to Cody the Wonder Dog, Murray and Teresa’s little four-year-old Eskipoo dog.
The next series of illusions are all performed in unison and under the guise of how Murray and Teresa audition their dancers for the show. The series of illusions are called “The Test” and include “The Twister”, “The Stretcher” and “Compressed”. It is a very nice way for Murray to introduce his dancers to the audience and present three great illusions.

The final guest act of the show is Dan Sperry from Chicago. He is a past winner of the Lance Burton Award and it is very easy to see why he is considered one of the top dove performers in the world. Highly original and slightly bizarre best describe Dan’s act. Dan’s act is face paced, high in energy and has some very innovative and original handling on dove techniques. His color change dove and split production really gets the crowd cheering. Bringing an element of theatrics to his show Dan Sperry is certainly one of magic’s up and coming hot magicians.

The final illusion of the show is called ‘The Robot’ and in this illusion Murray tells the story of being a little boy overcoming his childhood nightmares. This leads in to a highly original version of Disembodied Princess and with the help of special lighting and theatrical effects brings this illusions to a new level.

The 90-minute show went by very quickly and was certainly one of the best Illusion and Variety shows I have seen. The technical side of the show with the lighting and music was a show within itself and really helped enhance the illusions and all the acts.

in thoughts,
andrew gerard
http://www.allandrew.com
Murray Hatfield
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
150 Posts

Profile of Murray Hatfield
Andrew,

Thanks for your kind words. I was really happy with the show this year and especially with my guest magicians. Paul, Oscar and Dan each brought their unique talents to the stage and helped me to create what I feel is one of our best shows ever. Certainly one of the most fun for me...
Cameron Fisk
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, BC
194 Posts

Profile of Cameron Fisk
I saw Murray's show in December and was amazed with the high production value of the show! Having put on a few shows with other magicians I can see that a lot of thought and planning went into this show. There is a good diversity of effects throughout the show including everything from illusions to intimate magic. I was very impressed!

I have been attending the show for the last three years and I've noticed the same great quality each time. Putting together a new show every year and having it sell out almost every time is something to be very proud of. A great show for anyone to watch, young or old.

The featured acts always bring a great diversity to the show as well. Seeing Paul, Oscar, and Dan on stage doing what they do best together is an amazing thing to watch. Much can be learned from this amazing crew of people!

If you haven't seen the show yet I highly recommend that you do, and bring your friends and family too! I can’t wait to see what’s in store for us next year.

All the best,

Cameron Fisk
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
Congrates and keep up the good work Murry :O)

Michael
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
Michael Berends
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
220 Posts

Profile of Michael Berends
Hi All,

I was privileged enough to see the 87th show of Murray Hatfield's Magic'n'Miracles Tour. This was the last show of their 6 week run.

I must say that it was a great show!!!

It had a wide spread of diversified performers. Which kept the audience entertained throughout the whole show. Paul Romhany brought a classic character on the stage which warmed everyone's hearts. Oscar Munoz kept the audience rolling with laughter, with his great stage character. Dan Sperry brought youth and a new look to the stage, with his incredible Dove Act.

Murray, rounded out the show acting as MC and performing various Illusion and pieces of magic throughout the show. He never fails to captivate his audience with everything he brings to the stage.

He was able to show his diversity by doing all the Large Illusions with style, but yet being able to have some fun and laughs with a few coins, a pail, and a young boy, doing a Miser's dream. On top of this the charisma he showed as MC really reflected how well-rounded of a performer he really is.

I've been going to the "Magic'n'Miracles" tour for over 16 years now, and look forward to it every year. Murray always brings magic's best and never fails to produce an amazing show. If you live in Canada it's a must see!!

Congratulations to all the performers of the tour. Murray Hatfield and Teresa, Paul Romhany, Oscar Munoz, Dan Sperry, and the Murray Hatfield Dancers for a great 6 week run. My hat goes off to all of you.

Michael Berends
www.michaelberends.com
"IMPOSSIBLE HAS JUST BECOME AN OPINION"
lucas
View Profile
New user
Victoria, Canada
30 Posts

Profile of lucas
I saw Murray's show in victoria and all I can say is WOW! I liked is so much the next day I came back for a 2nd time.
Lucas Kavanagh
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
We too loved it! Murray was awesome, everybody was! Murray was spectactular, and had me drooling over his dis.princess while he took the stage with confidence! Murray is very verstile performer with professionalism that compliments his wonderful illusions. Dan was a like the Marilyn Manson of Magic, and a huge audience pleaser, Paul Romhany-just brilliant and wanted to see more! Oscar was fantastic! His "talent" shows as a performer, and had both of us in stiches the entire time, a great performer! Combined it was a great show, and very well done, and obviously Teresa must be thanked.

Hangin out with these guys after the show gave me an oppourtunity to make some new friends! Great Job!

Thanks to Murray for inviting us to the show! We loved it!

Peter & Lyndsy
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
Murray Hatfield
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
150 Posts

Profile of Murray Hatfield
Hi All,

Thanks for your thoughts on the show. The annual tour of ILLUSIONS...Magic 'n Miracles is my favorite project each year. Both for the chance I get to create an entirely new show of routines and illusions, and for the opportunity to hire, travel and work with some the best and most creative performers in the business.

This year was a real treat with three exceptional acts to share the stage with. Be aware that I'm already looking for my guest performers for next year so if you are a pro act with national and/or international awards and/or credentials send me an email or better yet a full promotional package.

You can email me at murhat@aol.com and my mailing address is;

Murray Hatfield Productions
Suite 590, 7620 Elbow Drive SW
Calgary, AB T2V 1K2 Canada

Be aware that I prefer a video/dvd of your entire act - not just snippets edited together into a montage. Also - when sending a promotional package into Canada from elsewhere you will have to fill out a small customs sticker. Please list the value of the contents as $0 or NCV (No Commercial Value). Your package is simply an advertisement and has no direct value.

I am looking for Bird Acts, Silent Acts (manipulation, etc.), Comedy Magicians, and unusual Variety/Magic Acts. I am not looking for Illusionists. I try to find acts between 10-15 minutes but will consider others.

Send you info immediately to be considered for the 2005/06 tour. Thanks again to all who have written in. It's great to know that the show has had an impact on my friends and fellow magicians.

Murray
okito25
View Profile
Regular user
Victoria BC Canada
145 Posts

Profile of okito25
What more can one say .. not only Is Murrays show .. top dog .. and extreamly pro
Murray is one heck of a nice guy .. and a credit to the Brothers and Sisters in our Craft ..
Keet
stormchaser
View Profile
Regular user
Calgary, AB
200 Posts

Profile of stormchaser
This is so weird... seeing my favouite magician posting in a forum. That was a great show you put on in Calgary; it was a real inspiration for me.
For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice.

A magician is an actor playing the part of a magician.

Don't run when no-one's chasing you.
Maro Anglero
View Profile
Loyal user
FLORIDA
248 Posts

Profile of Maro Anglero
Hi Murray,

I would like to come see you at the Magic Castle on May 22, 2006
You’re on my to see list for this year.

All the best,

Magically,

Maro
For the Magician: The hard must become habit, The habit must become easy, The easy must become Beautiful

Doug Henning
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Murray hatfeild illusions magic n' miracles tour review (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL