The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Not magic exactly, but .. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
This sure is spooky, and I'm trying to think of a way now to incorporate her into an act. Using the creation below along with the Pepper's Ghost illusion should be quite a sight.
This past Halloween I finally built was is known as a Flying Crank Ghost, and this is just a terrific (if not terrifying) animated prop you can make yourself for about $100.
Have a look up on my website: http://www.phrets.com/anastasia
(It's about the only thing up there right now)
Be sure to look at the movie for the finished product, the pictures are mostly just the construction phase. It (she) came out better than I'd dared dream.
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
Lee Davies
View Profile
Regular user
Derby, England
136 Posts

Profile of Lee Davies
Absolutely brilliant!

I loved watching the movie clip - the ghost looks and moves great!

Thanks for sharing
I will not cease from mental fight,
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand...
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
Looks absolutely great! You should contact some manufecturers. I think, a lot of people would like to have something like this in their shows.

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
Phil Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Newark, Ohio
1117 Posts

Profile of Phil Thomas
WOW! I want one! However, I suck with building and constructing as I am not very handy. This would be awesome at my house during Halloween. But, I guess I'll just stick with my original "Pepper's Ghost". I made one of those for under $50.00, but this blows what I have way out of the water! Great job!
"If we lose the sense of the mysterious, life is no more than a snuffed out candle."

Albert Einstein
Magickman
View Profile
Elite user
St.Petersburg, Fl.
402 Posts

Profile of Magickman
Cyberhagen,
Looks like magic to me!
Awesome, great effect!

Magickman
What man knows he calls Science
What he has yet to learn he calls Magick
Both are real!

_Tony Andruzzi_
ptbeast
View Profile
Special user
Oregon
831 Posts

Profile of ptbeast
You did a great job on this! The face is excellent and you got the movement just right. What did you have in mind as far as combining her with a Pepper's Ghost?
Having her appear/materialize, or something more elaborate? Either way, a lot
of potential.

I am not sure how you would incorporate her into most venues of a magic performance, though it is certianly possbile given the right setting. I love combining bizarre magic and haunting. Right now I am putting together an old time Midnight Spook Show. I believe she would be brilliant in a setting like that. Especially if you made if you made her flouresent so that you could have her appear during a blackout.

Or, taken to the extreme, and back in conjunction with pepper's ghost, you could "kill" your victim and have the spirit seen rising up from the body. That could be very strong, but you would have to play with the lighting quite a bit since you don't want the body to really disappear.

Anyway, there are a couple of ideas off the top of my head. I will give it some more thought and post again if I come up with anything good.

Again, great job.

Dave
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
Well, if the motor is cleverly disguised, than it should be possible to let this ghost "appear" during a show (maybe the motor can be controlled with a remote control), and then disappear.

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Fantastic! The movement is awsome and the face is super cool! I'll take two.LOL.
How do you want to combine this with a peppers ghost illusion?
Dave
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Thanks for all the kind words, everyone.
I want to reiterate here what's on my wesite, the FCG is neither my design nor brainchild, that credit goes to one Doug Ferguson. The marionette herself, however, was certainly an artistic endeavor on my part.
If you're really inclined to get one, but don't feel handy enough, check eBay ! Every halloween, there are a few pepole (with drill presses and table saws I suspect) who "mass" produce these, or the motor rig at least. If you're interested in learning more, start here: http://www.phantasmechanics.com , home of Doug Ferguson.
They also sell them premade, to the tune $500. Much better to make your own, IMO.

My primary reason for wanting to use a peppers illusion with the FCG is to give it some translucence, while the cheesecloth body isn't totally opaque, using the pepper's illusion to control the solidity of the ghost seemed like a good way to go. I could even fade the ghost in or out completely.
As to fluoresence, it already is UV reactive- I brushed RIT laundry whitener on the face (lightly), and sprayed the body with blacklight hair spray - this is why the whole thing tends to glow, there is a large powerful blacklight just in front of it.
One thing that really plays with people minds: I put my strobe light about 9 feet from the ghost, I didn't want too strong an effect or to wash out the UV, but what happened was that I had unintenionally lent a slight flicker to the scene - I had people standing outside my house on Halloween debating whether it was a real person in costume, or (because of the flicker) a video ! One girl even claimed it was a hologram - I don't think that technology even exists yet does it ?
One thing that will complicate it's use in close up magic - besides it's obvious size, is that it's not very quiet - not really loud, but not silent either.
I just remembered that I have another video clip from inside my attic, showing how the entire thing works close up, I'll get that up to my site soon and post the link here.
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Not magic exactly, but .. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL