The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Dunninger's Complete Encyclopedia of Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Daniel Santos
View Profile
Special user
562 Posts

Profile of Daniel Santos
Hey there...I know this book is kind of magical, but still (;)). I was wondering what year this book was published. My father got the book a long time ago. Awhile back I found it sitting on one of the shelves at our old house. I looked through it to see exactly how old it is, but never found a year...thanks!

Daniel Santos
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Here's the Barnes & Noble page for that book. I don't know when the individual items and sections in the book were first published.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Daniel Santos
View Profile
Special user
562 Posts

Profile of Daniel Santos
Awesome. Thanks!
Rabbitless Hat
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Rabbitless Hat
I remember that book being sold many years ago by discounters of books. It was inticing to read as a youngster with all of those amazing contraptions. But I am glad that I was unable to acquire any of the chemicals mentioned for some of the flashier effects! I might have ended up as one of these: Smile
"Too much flourish for the magicians. Too much magic for the flourishers."
Daniel Santos
View Profile
Special user
562 Posts

Profile of Daniel Santos
LOL That's what you can do trying to draw a picture with potassium nitrate Smile
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
I remember at a Tom Burgoon lecture, he said that he still likes to go back and read Dunninger's Encyclopedia. My library has it and I occasional check it out to look through. There are some pretty nifty things in there!
Daniel Santos
View Profile
Special user
562 Posts

Profile of Daniel Santos
I ALWAYS look through that book. Gets me thinking...
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
Is this the "fluff" book? (You know, the one where the ideas and secrets are SO ridiculous that nobody would ever use them?)
MagicalArtist
View Profile
Veteran user
Hobart, Indiana
378 Posts

Profile of MagicalArtist
The book was first published back in the 1920s! (Some people wrongly guess the 1940s). It was published by Science and Invention magazine (back then, magic was so popular, even science magazines ran magic columns). Dunninger, the compiler, had the resourses of the magazine's entire staff of artists to illustrate the book. That's why the book is so lavishly illistrated. I believe the book was originally published as 3 smaller books called "Popular Magic." Science and Invention magazine would sometimes publish books that sold on the newsstands alongside the magazines, just like mags do today. Science and Invention also published interesting books on spirit exposes, etc. Unfortunately, the magazine folded at the end of the 1920s with the onset of the Great Depression, like many other magazines, I suspect, but the book lives on. Illustrated in almost a comic book fashion, it is LOADS of fun to look at. I would just browse thru it for hours as a kid, and everytime I opened it up to a random page (the best way to look at it) I found something new. I still enjoy looking at it from time to time. But it's more of a "fun" book than a "practical" book.
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
I now have two of these (both given to me as presents from layfriends) but they're in pretty bad condition, so I can't really sell them.

My seventh grade teacher gave me Mark Wilson's Complete Encyclopedia of Magic, the Hardbound version. That's one of the greatest gifts I ever recieved, it got me even more interested in magic......in fact, I think I'll go read it now.....
MagicalArtist
View Profile
Veteran user
Hobart, Indiana
378 Posts

Profile of MagicalArtist
Follow your 7th grade teacher's example, Jordini, and GIVE them to a couple of young magic buffs. If they're anything like me, they'll love 'em!
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
Quote:
On 2005-10-06 22:23, MagicalArtist wrote:
Follow your 7th grade teacher's example, Jordini, and GIVE them to a couple of young magic buffs. If they're anything like me, they'll love 'em!

I haven't met any yet.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Dunninger's Complete Encyclopedia of Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL