The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » What can you say about Sol Stone's Coin Magic...? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
I heard that he is an underground magician who recently released his own original stuff. His dvd has an amount of coin magic as put by the content description.

(Fusion Fission: Two quarters change into a half-dollar and back to two quarters.
Tenkai Quarters: A quarter magically jumps from one hand to the other.
Vanishing Eagle: A quarter placed into your fist vanishes, as both hands are shown empty.
Cointemplate: Two coins are placed under a clear plate held by a spectator. One of the coins startlingly penetrates up through the glass to appear on top of the plate.
North, South, East and West: As two coins are moved to opposite sides of the table one of them magically disappears and joins the other.
Jarred Coin: A coin repeatedly vanishes from your hand to appear inside a little jar. The jar is sealed shut but the coin still manages to vanish from your hand and appear inside the jar.
Purple Cow: A quick and direct spellbound routine presented as a poem. A silver coin changes to a purple coin and back to silver a number of times.
Just Gone: A silver coin and a copper coin vanish one at a time until nothing is left.
The 51 Cent Trick: The two-coin routine Sol Stone developed after his plane was shot down during World War II.)

What can you say about his coin magic? I'm interested in his work. Anyone seen him do his effects?
"David Roth is the greatest coin manipulator in the entire world.."

-Dai Vernon "The Professor"

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
What would you like to know?

Even better, come see him on any Saturday at Café Rustico II in NYC.

It's nice to see his work in print. He's been quite giving as regards his routines and helping other magicians ... for the last forty plus years.

He lives in Vally Cottage NY and would likely appreciate your saying hello.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
I use his 51 cent trick. It plays well with audiences. Though I don't use "Purple Cow," it does look masterful when he does it.
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
The Sol Stone DVD would be a great disappointment if he were not such a charming fellow. The video doesn't show him doing any of the amazing things that he CAN do with coins. Rather they are simple, effective tricks that he does all the time, as the title implies.

None of the tricks are complicated enough that you need a video to learn them, but seeing him perform for the first time, after having studied his work in print, I gained a new respect and affection for him.

The fifty one cent trick is very old fashioned coin magic. No where near as natural or sophisiticated as the other material on the DVD, or his material in COINMAGIC. But the story he tells, on the DVD, about how he developed it will probably bring a tear to your eye. Meir Yedid should be thanked for getting this on video for the ages.

The BEST lesson on the video is how he ditches the gaff in the linking pins routine. By the time anyone might think to ask to see the pins, they're already GONE.
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
Is his material visual stuff? Can I incorporate the sleights he teaches in other coin routines?
"David Roth is the greatest coin manipulator in the entire world.."

-Dai Vernon "The Professor"

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
leko
View Profile
Loyal user
Netherlands
202 Posts

Profile of leko
I don't know his DVD but there are many of his subtle handlings in Apocalypse.
ehands
View Profile
Special user
Mississippi
524 Posts

Profile of ehands
George,
You list 8 tricks, but I see 15 distinct tricks here plus an additional bonus one. I am enjoying watching this tremendously and am having fun with the new (to me) sleights. Even I am incorporating things I learn here into my own simple routines. Great stories and history here too. Not MTV-paced, but graceful performance. From Shoot to Stone there is wonderful variety to Coin Magic. For me, Stone's DVD was a wonderful buy.
"Oh look, we have created enchantment." Blanche DuBois
Rindfleisch
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
502 Posts

Profile of Rindfleisch
Sol is an excellent magician. He has taught me a lot and has influenced my magic in many ways. I use his method of first finger back clipping.

Joe Rindfleisch
check me out on facebook #MAGICTOTD
Mano
View Profile
Inner circle
1028 Posts

Profile of Mano
Just RING ON RING OFF routine it worth the price of the DVD, Purple Cow, a lovely spell bound routine that in Sol's hands it is poetry in montion, I highly recomend this DVD,

Mano.
magicman899
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of magicman899
Where can I see his effects for sale?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2007-04-19 06:06, magicman899 wrote:
Where can I see his effects for sale?

The DVD is still available, as are CoinMagic and the hardbound volumes of Apocalype.

You can also visit him at the Saturday gathering in NYC.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
The Jarred Coin is great....as is Purple Cow.....
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
ehands
View Profile
Special user
Mississippi
524 Posts

Profile of ehands
Only showed Jarred Coin twice, but enyoued great reactions both times. Today, my hand hesitated before picking up the cap. I was challenged, "Let see you try that again, but with the cap on!" So gooooood when you can 'reluctantly' attempt the impossible.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
Indeed.... Smile ..
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
paladin1
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of paladin1
I remember watching the Sol Stone DVD while visiting with a friend, and I don't recall if the Soft Sleeve was taught. Is it on the DVD?
ehands
View Profile
Special user
Mississippi
524 Posts

Profile of ehands
No 'Soft Sleeve' taught or even shown on "Quick & Casual Close-up." Is any other video w/ Sol Stone available?
Kaufman included a Stone Chapter in "Coin Magic." Is any other book out w/ Sol Stone material?
ehands
View Profile
Special user
Mississippi
524 Posts

Profile of ehands
Since I asked where to find more Sol Stone material, a new DVD of his has been released, "Radical Dice Routine." See a clip at http://www.murphysmagic.com/Radical-Dice......tone-DVD

On the 'Quick & Caual Close-up' DVD, the patter Sol uses to accompany his soft Spellbound-like transformations, is from an old nursery rhyme:
"I've never seen a purple cow
I never hope to see one
But I can tell you this right now
I'd rather see than be one."
- Gelett Burgess, 1895

I'd still like to find more references to Sol's routines.
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4675 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Sol has been a friend and mentor to New York magicians for many, many years. he is always helpful, and when he gives criticsm you understand that it is constructive, and educational, never malicious. He was one of the guys who's opinion I greatly respected and valued when I was developing many of my techniques in the early 80's. He is one of the gems in magic, and I hope more people get a chance to see not only his DVD, but to meet and spend time with a true gentleman.
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » What can you say about Sol Stone's Coin Magic...? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL